Stories from the Archives
The stories in this section were written by Records Management and Archives staff. They are short texts or lists on an aspect of the history of Concordia University or one of its two founding institutions.
When the HIV/AIDS policy was adopted in 1988, Concordia was only the fourth university in Canada to define formal guidelines on AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome).
The Concordia Shuffle is an annual 6.5-kilometre walk, held in the fall, between the University's Sir George Williams and Loyola campuses to benefit student scholarships and bursaries.
Creation of Departments at Sir George Williams
On February 17, 1961 the SGW Faculty Council agreed unanimously that the College would adopt the designations “department” and department “chairman” to reflect the already existing reality within the divisions of Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and Commerce.
Installation Ceremonies at Concordia University
Universities and university ceremonies are steeped in medieval traditions and pageantry.
McGee Lintel Stones at Concordia University
Concordia University has been the home since 1962 of the lintel stones from Thomas D'Arcy McGee's Montreal home.
Sir George Williams University History
The history of Sir George Williams University began with the establishment of the Young Men's Christian Association in Montreal in 1851.
Georgiantics was an annual musical review of all original material--skits, songs, and dances.
Loyola College History
Loyola College grew out of the English programme of Collège Sainte-Marie, and was established as a separate entity in 1896.
Naming Concordia - Concordia Salus
Like naming a new-born baby, naming a new university is very important and sometimes difficult!
On August 24, 1992, an armed man opened fire on the ninth floor of the Henry F. Hall Building resulting in the death of four professors.
Long Service Awards at Concordia University - A Brief History
Concordia University's Long Service awards began in 1963, as an initiative to recognize the service of members of the faculty and staff who had been associated with Sir George Williams University for twenty years or more, and to pay tribute to their contributions to the institution.
On March 14, 1899, and again on March 7, 1900, three Loyola pioneers starred with the Montreal Shamrocks as the team won the Stanley Cup in two consecutive years.
From the summer of 1969 to the spring of 1970 Loyola College students and faculty mounted a campaign of petitions, gatherings, sit- ins, and occupations to demonstrate the manner in which the university administration was handling an appeal from Loyola professor, Dr. S. Santhanam.
Winter Carnivals at Concordia University
Winter Carnival at Concordia was a time for student fun and games.
Loyola Boys at the front
Records Management and Archives would like to pay tribute to the Loyola Alumni and Students who took part in the Great War and particularly to the 37 who lost their lives.
Concordia's Charter turns 70
In 1948, Sir George Williams College, one of Concordia's founding institutions, officially obtained its university charter although it had been granting degrees since 1936-37.