Skip to main content

In 1916, Loyola College Welcomed Students to its New West-End Campus

Construction of the west-end campus of Loyola on the old Decary farm began in 1913. The first students moved there in 1915 even before the buildings were completed, although it was 1916 before the move was complete.

The Construction

“Map to Illustrate Loyola Farm as Purchased in 1900 from Gabriel Decary,” by T. P. Slattery, used in his book Loyola and Montreal, Montreal: Palm Publishers, 1962.
Architect's original conception of the Loyola Campus. Design by Architects Peden & McLaren, 1913.
Refectory, Cloisters and Junior block under construction, 1915.

The Original Buildings

Left to right, the Junior/High School Building (now the Psychology Building), the Refectory Building, and the Administration Building (only two storeys high), ca 1916.
Loyola College Review, 1916.

The Administration Building

The Administration Building was only two storeys high until 1927, when it was finally completed.

Loyola College Review, 1921
Loyola College Review, 1927

The Garden Party of 1916

The Refectory building decorated for the Garden Party Day.

The Postcards

Around 1930, the College published two sets of postcards. Although they are not entirely different, here are both sets in their enterity.


Loyola College Review, 1922
Loyola College Review, 1922
Loyola College Review, 1923
Loyola College Review, 1928
Back to top

© Concordia University