Why study Marketing?
Marketing is the art of persuasion: how to convey ideas, manage buzz and create desire. You persuade people to do things like: buy a car or vote for a politician. And it doesn’t matter if you sell smart phones or sustainable living, you’ll learn the strategies, tactics and measurements behind influencing consumer choices.
During your degree, you develop decision-making skills, exercise your creative mind and study consumer behaviour. You’ll also:
- Examine current marketing theories and practices
- Identify the information needed to tackle marketing problems
- Develop an ability to adapt to constantly changing marketing environments
- Hone your communication and personal-selling skills
- Learn to analyze market metrics and other types of marketing data
JMSB’s applied approach gives you the tools to succeed in the marketplace after graduation. You will leave with the knowledge, skill and attitude to be an advertising account manager, market researcher or social media specialist, or to take on any number of marketing careers this versatile degree offers you.
BComm in Marketing
A Bachelor of Commerce degree takes a minimum of three or four years (90 – 120 credits) of full-time study, depending on your academic background. All JMSB students follow a core business curriculum coupled with a JMSB major, which may be combined with a minor in another discipline or any combination of elective courses that interest them.
- Core business courses (42 credits)
- Marketing major courses (24 credits)
- Electives (24 credits) which may include a business minor (12 credits)
JMSB Minor in Marketing
A Minor in Marketing (12 credits) is available only to JMSB undergraduate students. This minor fulfills half of the 24 elective credits in your BComm and complements your major field of study.
We consider complete applications year round and we give priority to applicants who apply by official deadlines. Late applications will be considered if places are still available for the fall term only.
|You've sent your application from:||Fall term deadline||Winter term deadline|
|Inside Canada||March 1
Certain programs have extended their deadlines. Please check program availability.
Not all programs are available for this term.
Please check program availability.
|Outside Canada (International)||February 1||September 1|
We reserve the right to close admission to a program at any time after the official deadline without prior notice.
The Co-op program gives you the chance to complete paid work terms that last 12 to 16 weeks. Work terms make it possible for you to:
- Plan and organize events
- Conduct marketing research, project development and analysis
- Participate in fundraising campaigns
- Review merchandising trends
- Create public relations strategies and perform related tasks
Societies and competitions
As a Marketing student, you lead an active social life, connecting with students, and competing at regional, national or international level events.
Our degree is versatile, opening up many career paths, including:
- Product or brand manager
- Account executive (advertising)
- Marketing communications coordinator
- Social media specialists
- Bachelor program
- The JMSB Advantage
- Program structure
- Tuition & aid
- Current students