- Honours degree in economics from a recognized university, or the equivalent, with a cumulative GPA of 3.00.
- Proficiency in English. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate that their knowledge of English is sufficient to pursue graduate studies in their chosen field. Please refer to the English language proficiency page for further information on requirements and exemptions.
Additional Admission Requirements
Some applicants may be required to pass a qualifying program, as a condition for entry into the regular MA program.
The Economics Co-operative Program
The Economics Co-operative program is offered to those enrolled in an MA Program in Economics. The academic content of the Co-operative Program is identical to that of the regular program, except that students complete one internship which spans one or two terms . Students are supervised personally and must meet requirements specified by the Faculty of Arts and Science, the School of Graduate Studies and the Institute for Co-operative Education.
Fully-qualified candidates are required to complete a minimum of 45 credits.
Please see the Economics Courses page for course descriptions.
Economics MA (45 credits)
credits of Required Courses:
credits chosen in consultation with the Graduate Program Director.
Each MA student is required to complete one field of specialization by successfully completing two courses from the sequences offered in any of the following areas: Econometrics; Economic Growth and Development; Financial Economics; Industrial Economics; International Economics; Labour Economics; Macroeconomics; Microeconomics; Public Economics.
Cognate Courses:In addition, graduate students in economics may be permitted to register for a limited number of courses listed in the Finance, Management, Marketing, and Administration MSc (MSCA) Courses section of the Calendar. In all such cases, prior permission of the Department of Economics and the John Molson School of Business is required.
- Academic Standing. Please refer to the Academic Standing section of the Calendar for a detailed review of the Academic Regulations.
- Residence. The minimum residence requirement is one year (3 terms) of full-time study, or the equivalent in part-time study.
- Time Limit. Please refer to the Academic Regulations page for further details regarding the Time Limits.
- Graduation Requirement. In order to graduate, a student must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.70.