Applicants should understand that admission to the program is contingent on a sound undergraduate academic record, strong letters of reference, and a convincing statement of purpose which clearly describes their academic interest in the program and intended area of research. Applicants who do not meet the standards for admission may be required to complete a qualifying program of up to 12 undergraduate credits in addition to the regular graduate program. For the qualifying program a minimum grade point average of 3.00 (B average) is required.
Fully-qualified candidates are required to complete a minimum of 45 credits.
Please see the Journalism Courses page for course descriptions.
credits of Required Courses:
• JOUR 601 Critical Approaches to Journalistic Thought (3.00) • JOUR 604 Research Methods for Journalism (3.00) • JOUR 605 Digital Innovation in Journalism (3.00)
credits of Elective Courses:
• JOUR 502 Introduction to Reporting (3.00) • JOUR 503 Introduction to Visual Journalism (3.00) • JOUR 511 Introduction to Multimedia (3.00) • JOUR 523 News and Feature Photography (3.00) • JOUR 603 Political Economy of Journalism (3.00) • JOUR 610 International Journalism (3.00) • JOUR 620 Journalism Ethics and the Law (3.00) • JOUR 630 Mediating Diversity through Audio Story-telling (3.00) • JOUR 640 Textual Approaches to Journalism (3.00) • JOUR 642 Special Topics in Journalism Studies (3.00) • JOUR 645 Directed Study (3.00)
With the permission of the department, up to six elective credits may be taken in 600-level courses offered by other departments.
credits chosen from: Digital Innovation in Journalism Studies MA Option A
Digital Innovation in Journalism Studies MA Option B
Digital Innovation in Journalism Studies MA Option C
• JOUR 650 Journalism Readings and Proposal (6.00)
• JOUR 691 Thesis (24.00)
• JOUR 693 Research-Creation Thesis (24.00)
• JOUR 684 Essay I (9.00) • JOUR 685 Essay II (9.00)
© Concordia University
Ask a question
Concordia University uses technical, analytical, marketing and preference cookies. These are necessary for our site to function properly and to create the best possible online experience.