Creative Arts Therapies (Drama Therapy Option) MA
- Bachelor’s degree with courses in Theatre (24 credits or approved equivalents): Psychology (24 credits, which must include courses in Introductory, Developmental, and Abnormal Psychology, Theories of Personality, and a research methodology course to be approved by an academic faculty advisor, or approved equivalents); and An Introduction to Drama Therapy (3 credits).
- No less than a B average (3.00 on a 4.30 scale) or equivalent.
- Documented involvement in drama and theatre.
- Previous work experience in a clinical, rehabilitative, or educational setting.
- Direct experience with the therapeutic process is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in English. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate that their knowledge of English is sufficient to pursue graduate studies in their chosen field. Please refer to the English language proficiency page for further information on requirements and exemptions.
Additional Admission Requirements
Since enrolment is limited, applicants are selected on the basis of a past academic record of no less than a B average, a 500-word letter of intent, and three letters of recommendation.
Fully-qualified candidates are required to complete a minimum of 60 credits.
Please see the Creative Arts Therapies Courses page for course descriptions.
Creative Arts Therapies (Drama Therapy Option) MA (60 credits)
credits of Core Courses
|6||Elective credits chosen in consultation with an academic faculty advisor. With the approval of the Chair of Creative Arts Therapies and that of the cooperating department, some or all of the elective credits may be chosen from other graduate programs in the Faculty of Fine Arts, other faculties at Concordia University, or other universities.|
|9||Additional credits chosen from one of two streams of research: Creative Arts Therapies (Drama Therapy Option) MA Research Paper Stream: Creative Arts Therapies (Drama Therapy Option) or Creative Arts Therapies (Drama Therapy Option) MA Applied Research Project Stream: Creative Arts Therapies (Drama Therapy Option)|
Research Paper Creative Arts Therapies (Drama Therapy Option) (9 credits)
Additional Degree Requirements
Practicum. In addition to the credit requirements, and as stipulated by the professional program approval of the National Association for Drama Therapy, each student must successfully complete a minimum of 800 hours (350 direct client contact hours and 450 agency hours) in the practice of drama therapy, under faculty supervision, in an approved practicum setting. The program emphasizes experience with individual, group, and family formats for therapeutic interventions. Students work with different client populations during the first and second year of the practicum.
Language Requirements. While there are no formal language requirements, students intending to work in Quebec are strongly encouraged to develop a working knowledge of French.
- Academic Standing. Please refer to the Academic Standing section of the Calendar for a detailed review of the Academic Regulations.
- Residence. The minimum residence requirement is two years (5 terms) of full-time study, or the equivalent in part-time study.
- Time Limit. Please refer to the Academic Regulations page for further details regarding the Time Limits.
- Graduation Requirement. In order to graduate, students must have obtained a cumulative GPA of at least 2.70.