Start with the basics: delete all personal emails. Emails are not private — they are owned by the University and may be accessed and made public when legal, privacy or governance issues arise.
The key to email management is DELETE. Deleting messages frees up space and economizes energy.
- Meeting requests
- Meeting accepts and declines
- Automatic replies
- Internal communications
- Social media communications
- Supplier newsletters
- Notices from IITS and Facilities Management
- Discussion-list emails (shoptalk)
- Newsletters from professional associations
- Event invitations
- Final Reports
- Meeting minutes
- Documents to be shared with colleagues
- Legal Opinions
- Grant applications
Keep in mind:
- Retention policies apply to all official emails.
- Email environments are not long-term retention areas for emails and attached documents.