Skip to main content


Concordia University is effectively a NO DRONE ZONE. Recreational drone activities are prohibited at both campuses. Non-recreational drone flights may be permitted under certain circumstances.

The university recognizes that flying UAV may be required in research or teaching, by UAVConcordia, ConcordiaSAE or other student organizations, for media and communications use, or for inspection work related to facilities. Even external contractors may be asked to perform work where UAV use may be required. Prior to flight, the individual or organisation responsible for the UAV must obtain permission to fly from Concordia University. In addition, every UAV at the university must be registered with EHS.

Indoor flight operations at the University are handled differently. The UAV decision tree will help identify what is required to fly UAV at Concordia.




 UAV Registration

 UAV Registration

 Permission to Fly

 *Permission to Fly

 Site Security Plan

 *Site Security Plan

 Liability Insurance min. $100,000

 *Liability Insurance min. $100,000

 SFOC from Transport Canada

 Internal UAV Permit 

*Please note: These items may not be required depending on the type of UAV flight operations or the type of space being used for the flight operations.


EHS-DOC-158 UAV Guidelines

EHS-DOC-151 UAV Decision Tree

EHS-FORM 114 UAV Registration Form

EHS-FORM-115 Internal UAV Permit Application

EHS-FORM-116 UAV Request for Permission to Fly

Questions or inquiries should be directed to Environmental Health and Safety at ext. 4877 or to

What is the difference between UAV, UAS, drones and model aircraft?

These terms are often used interchangeably for a flying vehicle that is not carrying an individual. Model Aircraft and UAV have different meaning in regulation. See UAV Guidelines.

I bought a drone. Do I need permission to fly it?

Yes. At a minimum from the property owner, likely from the regulator and the Air Traffic Control tower responsible for local airspace. For a detailed discussion, refer to the UAV Guidelines.

Who regulates drone activity?

Transport Canada and Department of National Defence are responsible for the safety of Canadian airspace.

Is my activity ‘recreational’?

Recreational activity is deemed to be flying for the pure enjoyment of flying. All other activities are non-recreational. Concordia does not permit recreational drone activity on its campuses.

What is an SFOC and do I need one?

Issued by the Civil Aviation Regional office, a Special Flight Operations Certificate can allow certain flight operations to take place that would otherwise be prohibited. The SFOC is required for all outdoor activities at Concordia.

Do I need my own liability insurance?

Yes. The minimum coverage required is $100,000.

Do I need permission to fly from Concordia University?


Where do I get permission to fly at Concordia?

Permission can only be obtained by submitting EHS-FORM-116 UAV Request for Permission to Fly, pending review and approval.

What is a Site Security Plan?

A site security plan is a location plan that identifies the security, safety, and emergency resources available at the site of operation. It may include

(1)  Secure perimeter of flight operations,

(2) Power and communication lines, obstacles in area of flight operations,

(3) Launch site and landing site,

(4) Operator control area,

(5) Entrances and exits to the secure perimeter,

(6) Personnel positions, sentries, guards, observers, used to secure perimeter,

(7) Physical barriers, signage locations used to secure perimeter,

(8) Emergency measures available (medical, fire, emergency escape routes, emergency access, emergency vehicle routes, etc.)


Does Concordia have a drone facility?

Concordia does not provide a facility for recreational flying. All locations at Concordia that support drone use are for non-recreational purposes.

What do I do if my drone flies away?

Contact the local Air Traffic Control Tower. If unable, then contact the NAV CANADA National Operations Centre at 613-563-5626 and provide the details of the situation (e.g. type of UAV, last known altitude, direction it was flying, remaining flight time, etc.).

Do I need any special training?

Ground School Training greatly increases the likelihood of obtaining an SFOC. See “Knowledge requirements for Pilots operating Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems (UAV) 25 Kg or less, Operating within visual line-of-sight” (TP15263E)

Where can I find more information?

Back to top

© Concordia University