- MSc degree in Physics or a related field with high standing from a recognized university.
- Proficiency in English. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate that their knowledge of English is sufficient to pursue graduate studies in their chosen field. Please refer to the English language proficiency page for further information on requirements and exemptions.
Additional Admission Requirements
Meritorious students enrolled in the MSc program in Physics at this university who have completed all requirements except for the thesis may apply for permission to proceed directly to doctoral studies without submitting a master's thesis.
Fully-qualified candidates are required to complete a minimum of 90 credits.
Please see the Physics Courses page for course descriptions.
Physics PhD (90 credits)
|9||credits chosen from Physics PhD Electives|
Physics PhD Electives
• PHYS 601 Advanced Quantum Mechanics I (3.00)
• PHYS 602 Advanced Quantum Mechanics II (3.00)
• PHYS 603 High Energy Physics (3.00)
• PHYS 608 Selected Topics in High Energy Physics (3.00)
• PHYS 609 Selected Topics in Quantum Physics (3.00)
• PHYS 636 Condensed Matter Physics I (3.00)
• PHYS 637 Condensed Matter Physics II (3.00)
• PHYS 638 Additional Module in Condensed Matter Physics (1.00)
• PHYS 639 Selected Topics in Condensed Matter Physics (3.00)
• PHYS 642 Statistical Physics (3.00)
• PHYS 644 Advanced Classical Mechanics and Relativity (3.00)
• PHYS 646 Electrodynamics (3.00)
• PHYS 648 Non Linear Waves (3.00)
• PHYS 649 Selected Topics in Theoretical Physics (3.00)
• PHYS 660 Chemical Aspects of Biophysics (3.00)
• PHYS 663 Quantitative Human Systems Physiology (3.00)
• PHYS 665 Principles of Medical Imaging (3.00)
• PHYS 666 Additional Module in Biophysics (1.00)
• PHYS 667 Selected Topics in Biophysics (3.00)
• PHYS 668 Additional Module in Biomedical Physics (1.00)
• PHYS 669 Selected Topics in Biomedical Physics (3.00)
• PHYS 678 Additional Module in Applied Physics (1.00)
• PHYS 679 Selected Topics in Applied Physics (3.00)
• PHYS 688 Additional Module in Computational Physics (1.00)
• PHYS 689 Selected Topics in Computational Physics (3.00)
Students may, with permission of their supervisor, take courses from the following list:
- Academic Standing. Please refer to the Academic Standing section of the Calendar for a detailed review of the Academic Regulations. Program Specific Requirements. Students must obtain an assessment grade point average (AGPA) of 3.00 based on a minimum of 6 credits.
- Residence.The minimum period of residence is two years (6 terms) of full-time graduate study beyond the master’s degree, or the equivalent in part-time study, or three years (9 terms) of full-time graduate study beyond the bachelor’s degree for those students who are permitted to enrol for doctoral studies without completing a master’s degree.
- Time Limit. Please refer to the Academic Regulations for further details regarding the Time Limits.
- Graduation Requirement. In order to graduate, students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00.