- BSc degree or equivalent with specialization in biology with good standing (B average) from a recognized university.
- Proficiency in English. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate that their knowledge of English is sufficient to pursue graduate studies in their chosen field. Please refer to the English language proficiency page for further information on requirements and exemptions.
Additional Admission Requirements
Exceptionally, applicants not meeting the GPA requirement may be admitted on the basis of outstanding academic letters of reference, good performance and high standing in advanced courses or exceptional research experience.
Fully-qualified candidates are required to complete a minimum of 45 credits.
Please see the Biology Courses page for course descriptions.
Biology MSc (45 credits)
credits chosen from the following courses, or from the Biochemistry Courses list, in consultation with the candidate’s advisory committee:
The following courses in Biochemistry may be taken for credit in the program:
Additional Degree Requirements
Each student is expected to attend and participate in departmental seminars. In addition, students will be required to present a short (20-30 minutes) seminar to the department on their research once during their residency, normally on completion of their first year.
- Academic Standing. Please refer to the Academic Standing section of the Calendar for a detailed review of the Academic Regulations.
- Residence. The minimum residence requirement is one year (3 terms) of full-time study.
- Time Limit. Please refer to the Academic Regulations page for further details regarding the Time Limits.
- Graduation Requirement. In order to graduate, students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.70.
- Progress Report. Each student’s progress is formally evaluated by the student’s advisory committee every six months and a report is submitted to the Graduate Program Director.