Naming documents and folders may seem insignificant and straightforward, but proper naming is an essential step toward ensuring all users can locate files quickly and easily.
CONSISTENCY is the key.
- Make the title significant: represent the activity or content
- Keep the title short: under 60 characters
- Avoid abbreviations, periods, commas, and special characters
- Use ISO date style: YYYY-MM-DD
- Waste Reduction Project 2020.xls
- Statistics Admissions 2019.pdf
- Team Meeting 2019-11-03.pdf
- BUELL, Susie.doc
- Reference Documentation.xls
- DON’T include the file format in the title: File Requests Excel Spreadsheet.xls
- DON’T run words together: MeetingMinutes.doc
- DON’T use employee names: Julie Project.pdf
- DON'T use “miscellaneous” or “correspondence” in a file name