Music Therapy Graduate Diploma
- Bachelor’s degree with courses in Music (24 credits, which must include 6 credits in Musicology and 12 credits in Music Theory, or equivalents); Psychology (24 credits, which must include courses in Introductory, Developmental, and Abnormal Psychology, Theories of Personality, and Research Methodology, or equivalents); and Introduction to Music Therapy (3 credits), or equivalent.
- Evidence of primary instrument/voice performance abilities at the level of completion of a bachelor’s degree in Music; piano performance abilities at Grade 6 Royal Conservatory of Music level, and fundamental guitar and voice skills.
- Overall grade average of B- or better is expected.
- Previous experience in a clinical, rehabilitative or educational setting.
- Direct experience with the therapeutic process is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in English. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate that their knowledge of English is sufficient to pursue graduate studies in their chosen field. Please refer to the English language proficiency page for further information on requirements and exemptions.
Additional Admission Requirements
Proficiency in French. While there are no formal French proficiency requirements, students intending to work in Québec are strongly encouraged to develop a working knowledge of French.
Fully-qualified candidates are required to complete a minimum of 28 credits.
Please see the Creative Arts Therapies Courses page for course descriptions.
Music Therapy Graduate Diploma (28 credits)
credits of Core Courses:
|As part of course requirements in MTHY 510, MTHY 511, and MTHY 512, each student must successfully complete a minimum of 1,200 hours in the practice of music therapy, under faculty supervision, in approved practicum settings. Practicum experiences include individual and group formats with children, adolescents and adults and with a minimum of three different client groups.|
- Academic Standing. Please refer to the Academic Standing section of the Calendar for a detailed review of the Academic Regulations.
- Time Limit. Please refer to the Academic Regulations page for further details regarding the Time Limits. It is expected that students normally complete the graduate diploma program within one year.
- Graduation Requirement. In order to graduate, students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00.