- MA in Education, Applied Linguistics, Child Studies, Educational Studies, or Educational Technology, with high standing, from an accredited university.
- Applicants with a Master's degree in a related field or discipline, such as psychology, sociology, anthropology, adult education, and human resource development, are considered.
- Applicants from other disciplines might be offered conditional admission which may include fulfilling prerequisite courses.
- Proficiency in English. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate that their knowledge of English is sufficient to pursue graduate studies in their chosen field. Please refer to the English language proficiency page for further information on requirements and exemptions.
Fully-qualified candidates are required to complete a minimum of 90 credits.
Please see the Education Courses page for course descriptions.
Education PhD (90 credits)
credits of Required Courses:
|9||credits of Elective Courses|
Additional Degree Requirements
Orientation. Each candidate is assigned an interim research supervisor and a supervisory committee. This interim supervisory committee consists of three members of the faculty, including a research supervisor. This supervisory committee advises the student on courses to take, including prerequisite courses where necessary (to be determined no later than the first two weeks of the student's first term), and arranges for the comprehensive examination. At this time the membership of the student's interim committee is replaced by a dissertation committee of the student's choice.
- Academic Standing. Please refer to the Academic Standing section of the Calendar for a detailed review of the Academic Regulations.
- Residence. The minimum period of residence is two years (6 terms) of full-time study beyond the master’s degree, or the equivalent in part-time study. A minimum of one year of full-time study is highly recommended.
- Time Limit. Please refer to the Academic Regulations page for further details regarding the Time Limits.
- Graduation Requirement. To graduate, students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00.