Assistant Professor, Geography, Planning and Environment
Jeannine-Marie St-Jacques received a PhD in Biology, specialty in environmental science from Queen's University in 2007 and joined Concordia University's Department of Geography, Planning and Environment in 2017. She holds masters degrees in botany and mathematics. After her doctorate, she spent nine years as a Research Associate at the Prairie Adaptation Research Collaborative, University of Regina. Her expertise is in paleoclimatology, climatology and hydrology. Her research is funded by NSERC. She collaboratives with a broad spectrum of colleagues and students, both in Quebec and abroad, who have expertise in the environmental sciences and studies, climatology, climate modelling, hydrology, botany, geology, statistics, aquatic sciences and Indigenous Studies.
MA Mathematics, University of California, Berkeley
MSc Botany, University of Toronto
PhD Biology, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
North American freshwater availability, decadal-to-centennial water variability, regional hydrology and climate, impacts of global warming, water management for sustained droughts and floods, paleoclimatology, tree-rings, pollen, instrumental data, climate models.
GEOG 298/264 Programming for the Environmental Sciences
GEOG 378 The Climate System
GEOG 398 AA Special Topics in Geography: Environmental History of the Americas
GEOG 498/476 Indigenous and Environmental History of the Americas since 1492
GEOG 498 Directed Reading Course in Quebec Paleoenvironmental Science
HENV 610 Advanced Quantitative Research Methods
HENV 625 Directed Studies An Introduction to Scientific Programming Using Matlab
Present student supervision
Past student supervision
Taline Kalindjian (M.Env. September 2017- May 2018) “Understanding the public’s perception towards nuclear wastes by assessing public participation in environmental assessment: a dual case study of radioactive waste management in Canada”
Alexandre Pace (CUSRA undergraduate research assistant May 2017-May 2018)
Anna Michetti (summer undergraduate research assistant 2017)
- Gurrapu*, S., D.J. Sauchyn, K.R. Hodder and J.M. St-Jacques (2021). Assessment of the Standardized Precipitation-Evapotranspiration Index in relation to streamflow prediction in the watersheds of western Canada. Canadian Water Resources Journal, doi/10.1080/07011784.2021.1896390.
- O’Neill-Sanger*, C.E., J.M. St-Jacques, M. Peros and K.A. Schwartz* (2021). Reconstructed high-resolution forest dynamics and human impacts for the past 2300 years from the Parc national du Mont-Orford, southeastern Québec, Canada. Holocene, doi/10.1177/0959683621994642.
- Martin, J., G.T. Pederson, C.A. Woodhouse, E.R. Cook, G.J. McCabe, K.J. Anchukaitis, E.K. Wise, J. Friedman, S. Gray, S. St. George, J. King, J. Littell, J.M. St-Jacques, D. Sauchyn, K. Chase, L. Dolan, P. Erger, S. Gangopadhyay, M. McGuire, and P. Norton (2020). Increased drought intensity driven by warming in the United States’ largest river basin. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences doi/10.1073/pnas.1916208117.
- Kaufman, D.S. et al. [and 105 others, including J.M. St. Jacques] (2020). A global database of Holocene paleo-temperature records. Nature Scientific Data 7:115.
- Martin, J., G.T. Pederson, C.A. Woodhouse, E.R. Cook, G.J. McCabe, E.K. Wise, P. Erger, L. Dolan, M. McGuire, S. Gangopadhyay, K. Chase, J. Littell, S. Gray, S. St. George, J. Friedman, D. Sauchyn, J.M. St-Jacques, and J. King (2019). 1200 years of Upper Missouri River streamflow reconstructed from tree rings. Quaternary Science Reviews 224: 105971.
- St-Jacques, J.M., A. Chipanshi, T. Hadwen, A. Friesen and D. Sauchyn (2019). Searching towards creating a sustainable integrated mesonet for the Canadian Prairie Provinces. Atmosphere-Ocean 57(5): 378-389
- Brown, S.R., A. Baysinger, P.M. Brown, J.L. Cheek, J.M. Diez, C.M. Gentry, T.A. Grant III, H.D. Grissino-Mayer, J.M. St-Jacques, D.A. Jordan, M.L. Leef, M.K. Rourke, J.H. Speer, C.E. Spradlin, J.T. Stevens, J.R. Stone, B. Van Winkle, and N.E. Zeibig-Kichas (2020). Fire history across forest types in the southern Beartooth Mountains, Wyoming. Tree-ring Research 76: 27-39.
- Wise, E.K., C.A. Woodhouse, G.J. McCabe, G.T. Pederson and J.M. St-Jacques (2018). The hydroclimatology of the Missouri River Basin. Journal of Hydrometeorology 19: 161-182, doi: 10.1175/JHM-D-17-0155.
- Shuman, B.N., C. Routson, N. McKay, S. Fritz, D. Kaufman, M.E. Kirby, C. Nolan, G.T. Pederson and J.M. St-Jacques (2018). Millennial-to-centennial patterns and trends in the hydroclimate of North America over the past 2000 years. Climate of the Past 14: 665-686, doi.org/10.5194/cp-14-665-2018.
- St-Jacques, J.M., I. Andreichuk*, E. Barrow and D.J. Sauchyn (2018). Projecting Canadian Prairie Runoff for 2041-2070 using North American Regional Climate Change Assessment Program (NARCCAP) Data. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 54: 660-675, doi: 10.1111/1752-1688.12642.
- PAGES2k Consortium** (2017). A global multiproxy database for temperature reconstructions of the Common Era. Nature Scientific Data 4: 170088, doi: 10.1038/sdata.2017.88.
- Kujawa, E.R., S. Goring, A. Dawson, R. Booth, R. Calcote, E. Grimm, S. Hotchkiss, S. Jackson, B. Lynch, J. McLachlan, J.M. St-Jacques, C. Umbanhowar Jr. and J. Williams (2016). The effect of land cover change on pollen-vegetation relationships in the American Midwest. Anthropocene 15: 60-71.
- Correa-Metrio, A., M. Velez Caicedo, J. Escobar, M. Lopez-Perez, J.M. St-Jacques, J.H. Curtis and J. Cosford. (2016) Mid-elevation ecosystems of Panama: future uncertainties in light of past global climatic variability. Journal of Quaternary Science 31: 731-740.
- Gurrapu*, S., J.M. St-Jacques, D.J. Sauchyn and K. Hodder. (2016) The influence of the PDO and ENSO on the annual flood frequency of southwestern Canadian prairie rivers. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 52: 1031-1045.
- Sauchyn, D., J.M. St-Jacques, E. Barrow, M.W. Nemeth, R.J. Macdonald, A.M. Sheer and D.P. Sheer. (2016) Adaptive water resource planning in the South Saskatchewan River Basin: use of scenarios of hydroclimatic variability and extremes. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 52: 222-240, doi: 10.1111/1752-1688.12378.
- Sauchyn, D.J., J-M. St-Jacques and B.H. Luckman. (2015) Long-term variability and reliability of the flow of the Athabasca River, Alberta, Canada. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112: 12621-12626, doi:10.1073/pnas.1509726112.
- Sauchyn, D.J., J.R. Vanstone*, J.M. St. Jacques and R. Sauchyn. (2015) Dendrohydrology in western Canada and applications to water resource management. Journal of Hydrology, 529: 548-558, doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.11.049.
- St. Jacques, J.M., B.F. Cumming, D.J. Sauchyn and J.P. Smol. (2015) The bias and signal attenuation present in conventional pollen-based climate reconstructions as assessed by early climate data from Minnesota. PLoS-ONE, 10(1): e0113806, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0113806.
- St. Jacques, J.M., Y.A. Huang*, Y. Zhao, S.L. Lapp* and D.J. Sauchyn. (2014) Detection and attribution of variability and trends in Canadian Prairie Provinces' streamflow. Canadian Water Resources Journal, 39(3): 270-284, doi:10.1080/07011784.2014.942575.
- St. Jacques, J.M., S.L. Lapp*, Y. Zhao, E. Barrow and D.J. Sauchyn. (2013) Twenty-first century northern Rocky Mountain river discharge scenarios under greenhouse forcing. Quaternary International, 310: 34-46, doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2012.06.023.
- Lapp*, S.L., J.M. St. Jacques, D.J. Sauchyn and J.R. Vanstone*. (2013) Forcing of hydroclimatic variability in the northwestern Great Plains since AD 1406. Quaternary International, 310: 47-61, doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2012.09.011.
- Lapp*, S.L., J.M. St. Jacques, E.M. Barrow and D.J. Sauchyn. (2012) GCM projections for the Pacific Decadal Oscillation under greenhouse forcing for the early 21st century. International Journal of Climatology, 32: 1423-1442, doi:10.1002/joc.2364.
- St. Jacques, J.M., D.J. Sauchyn and Y. Zhao. (2010) Northern Rocky Mountain streamflow records: global warming trends, human impacts or natural variability? Geophysical Research Letters, 37: L06407, doi:10.1029/2009GL042045.
- Rühland, K., J.M. St. Jacques, B.D. Beierle, S.F. Lamoureux, A.S. Dyke and J.P. Smol. (2009) Lateglacial and Holocene paleoenvironmental change recorded in lake sediments, Brock Plateau (Melville Hills), Northwest Territories, Canada. Holocene, 19: 1005-1016.
- St. Jacques, J.M., B.F. Cumming and J.P. Smol. (2009) A 900-yr diatom and chrysophyte record of spring mixing and summer stratification record from varved Lake Mina, west-central Minnesota, USA. Holocene, 19: 537-547.
- St. Jacques, J.M. and D.J. Sauchyn. (2009) Increasing winter baseflow discharge and mean annual streamflow from possible permafrost thawing in the Northwest Territories, Canada. Geophysical Research Letters, 36: L01401, doi:10.1029/2008GL035822.
- St. Jacques, J.M., B.F. Cumming and J.P. Smol. (2008) A 900-year pollen-inferred temperature and effective moisture record from varved Lake Mina, in west-central Minnesota, USA. Quaternary Science Reviews, 27: 781-796, doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2008.01.005.
- St. Jacques, J.M., B.F. Cumming and J.P. Smol. (2008) A statistical varve verification method using seasonal differential pollen deposition. Journal of Paleolimnology, 40: 733-744, doi: 10.1007/s10933-008-9196-4.
- St. Jacques, J.M., B.F. Cumming and J.P. Smol. (2008) A pre-European settlement pollen-climate calibration set for Minnesota, USA: developing tools for palaeoclimatic reconstructions. Journal of Biogeography, 35: 306-324.
- St. Jacques, J.M., M.S.V. Douglas, N. Price, N. Drakulic and C.P. Gubala. (2005) The effect of fish introductions on the diatom and cladoceran communities of Lake Opeongo, Ontario, Canada. Hydrobiologia, 549: 99-113.
- St. Jacques, J.M., M.S.V. Douglas and J. McAndrews. (2000) The effect of the mid-Holocene hemlock die-off on diatom communities in Van Nostrand Lake, Ontario. Journal of Paleolimnology, 23: 385-397.
- Sullivan, S.M.P., D.M.P. Manning, J.M. St-Jacques and R. Moncayo Estrada. (2018) Chapter 9. Multiple stressors in North America: perspectives for the New World, In "Multiple Stressors in River Ecosystems. Status, Impacts, and Prospects for the Future", Sergi Sabater, Arturo Elosegi, Ralf Ludwig (editors), Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands, (refereed chapter).
- Sauchyn, D.J., B. Bonsal, S. Kienzle, J.M. St. Jacques, J. Vanstone* and E. Wheaton. (2015) Adaptation according to mode of climate variability: a case study from Canada’s Western Interior, In “Handbook of Climate Change Adaptation”, Walter Leal Filho (editor), International Climate Change Information Programme (ICCIP) and Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 1353-1379, doi 10.1007/978-3-642-40455-9_93-1 (refereed chapter).
Alberta WaterSMART and Alberta Innovates – Energy and Environment Solutions. (2016) Climate Vulnerability and Sustainable Water Management in the South Saskatchewan River Basin Project Final Report: Adaptation for Sustainable Water Management in the SSRB. 144 pages. Last accessed January 16, 2016 from http://www.ai-ees.ca/.
St-Jacques,J.-M. and D.J. Sauchyn. (2015) Interim Report on Modeling Red Deer River Basin Runoff using NARCCAP Data. Prairie Adaptation Research Collaborative Technical Report prepared for Alberta WaterSMART, Hydrologics, Inc. and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), October 2015. 19 pages.
Sabrina R. Brown*, Justin L. Cheek, Thomas A. Grant III, Jeannine-Marie St. Jacques, David A. Jordan, Carrie E. Spradlin, Mary K. Rourke, Henri D. Grissino-Mayer and Peter M. Brown. (2015) Fire History in the Beartooth Mountains, Wyoming. In: Speer, J.H. (ed.) Final report of the 25th Annual North American Dendroecological Fieldweek, submitted to the National Science Foundation USA, May 2015. Pages 45-58.
Alberta WaterSMART and Alberta Innovates- Energy and Environment Solutions. (2014) Phase III: Oldman and South Saskatchewan (OSSK) River Basins Summary Report. Part of the South Saskatchewan River Basin Adaptation to Climate Variability Project. 113 pages. Last accessed December 31, 2014 from http://www.albertawater.com/index.php/work/research-projects/ssrb-adaption.
Alberta WaterSMART and Alberta Innovates - Energy and Environment Solutions. (2013) Climate Variability and Change in the Bow River Basin: Final Report. Part of the South Saskatchewan River Basin Adaptation to Climate Variability Project. 39 pages. Last accessed December 31, 2014 from http://www.albertawater.com/index.php/work/research-projects/ssrb-adaption.
St.Jacques, J.M. and D.J. Sauchyn. Climate Data Acquired from a Private Weather Provider: Final Report on the Daily, Monthly, Seasonal and Hourly Data. Prairie Adaptation Research Collaborative Technical Report prepared for Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada - Science and Technology Branch, June 30, 2013, 81 pages.
St.Jacques, J.M. and D.J. Sauchyn. Climate Data Acquired from a Private Weather Provider: Preliminary Report on the Daily Data. Prairie Adaptation Research Collaborative Technical Report prepared for Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada - Science and Technology Branch, March 28, 2013, 94 pages.