Owen Chapman, PhD
Associate Professor, Communication Studies
Owen Chapman is co-director of the Montreal wing of the Mobile Media Lab, located in the Communication Studies department at Concordia University, where he is also an Associate Professor in Sound Production and Scholarship. His written works have appeared in The Canadian Journal of Communication, Esse, M/C Journal, Public, and Organised Sound. His audio work involves both live and studio-based creation and has been featured internationally in video soundtracks, contemporary dance projects, solo performances and site-specific installations. Current projects include ‘AudioMobile’ – an iOS app that allows users to record the sounds around them, attaching a photograph and GPS coordinates to the file. Linked to this project is ‘Echoscape’ – a digital arena for the exploration, sampling and remixing of sounds collected with AudioMobile. Lastly, the ‘Audio Toybox’ project involves designing and building customizable communication therapy toys for children with global developmental delay using RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification) technology.
BA, Contemporary Studies/Philosophy, University of King’s College
MA, Philosophy, Queen’s University
PhD, Communications, Concordia Univerisity
Fall 2015: Coms 876 Media Technology As Practice
Year 2015/16: Coms 376 – Sound II
English and French
Awarded as P.I.
• Concordia VPRGS Aid to Research Related Events, Publication, Exhibition and Dissemination Activities, awarded May 2015 (2 year term) - $5000 - Project Title: Invitation to Dance: a public screening, keynote and workshop with Simi Linton and Christian Von Tippelskirtch.
• Concordia VPRGS Individual Seed Grant, awarded June 2014 (2 year term) - $7000 - Project Title: Audio Toy Box: Building customizable communication therapy toys using Radio Frequency IDentifcation (RFID) technology.
• Concordia VPRGS Individual Accelerator Grant, awarded June 2013 (1 year term) - $6300 - Project Title: Audio-Mobile/Echoscape Tile Generation Mechanic and Database Population Initiative.
• Concordia VPRGS Aid to Research Related Events, Publication, Exhibition and Dissemination Activities, awarded Nov 2012 (1 year term) - $5000 - Project Title: Polyrhythmia: Listening to the movement of the city
• FQRSC Appui à la recherche-création - volet équipe, awarded June 2012 (3 year term) - $130 548 - Project Title: Echoscape : une application mobile et interactive pour la génération et navigation des architectures dymamique- sonores. - Co-Investigators: Yvan Cazabon (Carleton), Zachary Patterson (Concordia), Kim Sawchuk (Concordia)
• Concordia VPRGS Research Development Fund Grant, awarded Oct 2011 (1 year term) - $15000 - Project Title: Echoscape: A mobile interactive audio platform for dynamic social networking and spatial simulation. - Co-Investigators: Zachary Patterson (Concordia), Kim Sawchuk (Concordia)
• Concordia Aid to Research Related Events, Publication, Exhibition and Dissemination Activities, awarded Nov 2011 (1 year term) - $2500 - Project Title: Audio-Mobile: Oboro Workshop and Public Lecture
• Concordia Faculty of Arts and Science General Research Fund Award, awarded Nov 2011 (1 year term) - $2500 - Project Title: Audio-Mobile: Oboro Workshop and Public Lecture
• SSHRC Insight Development Grant, awarded in Aug 2011 (2 year term) - $69 990 - Project Title: "Audio-Mobile: Understanding Eco-territories through Mobile Technologies." - Co-Investigators: Charity Marsh (Univ. of Regina), Kim Sawchuk (Concordia)
• Canada Council Travel Grant, awarded in April 2011 - $1500 - Initiative Title: "The Icebreaker - Performance Mix Festival performance in NYC"
• Concordia VPRGS Team Seed Grant, awarded March 2011 (1 year term) - $12 747 - Project Title: "Audio-Mobile: A mobile application for real-time audio composition in the De Montigny Stream Basin and the St. Jacques Escarpment" - Co-Investigators: Zachary Patterson (Concordia), Kim Sawchuk (Concordia)
• FQRSC Établissement de nouveaux professeurs-chercheurs-créateurs, awarded in May 2009 (3 year term) - $39,522 - Project Title: "Radio Activités: une généalogie du Theremin, les Ondes Martenot et l'Orgue Hammond".
• Concordia Faculty of Arts and Science Seed Grant, Faculty of Arts and Science, Concordia University, awarded in May 2008 (1 year term) - $12,700 - Project Title: "From Audion Tubes to 'The Girl Who Never Finished Her Music Lessons': a genealogical history of the Theremin, Ondes Martenot and Hammond Organ."
• New Media and Audio Art Research Grant, Canada Council, awarded in Jan. 2008 (1 year term) - $20 000 - Project Title: "The Icebreaker"
• FAS Start-up Funds, Faculty of Arts and Science, Concordia University, awarded in 2007 (3 year term) - $15 000
• Capital Equipment Start-up Grant, Faculty of Arts and Science, Concordia University, awarded in 2007 (3 year term) - $15 000
• Concordia VPRGS Aid to Research Related Events, Publication, Exhibition and Dissemination Activities, awarded Nov 2014 (1 year term) - $5000 - Project Title: Grimposium 2 (P.I. Vivek Venkatesh)
• Faculty Mobility Grant, Concordia University, awarded in Dec 2009 - $10 400 - Initiative Title: "Mobile Media Lab Exchange". Travel Grant - Host Institution: Faculty of Creative Multimedia, Multimedia University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (P.I. Kim Sawchuk, Co-Investigators: Leslie Shade, Rae Staseson)
N.B. - "R" denotes a peer-reviewed publication
R• Chapman Owen, Sawchuk K. 2015. "Creation-as-Research: Critical Making in Complex Environments." RACAR: Revue d'art canadienne / Canadian Art Review 40(1): 49-52.
R• Chapman Owen. (2015). Owen Chapman: Ecotones, Eco-territories and the Sonic Relationality of Space: An audio investigation of Montreal’s ‘Falaise St. Jacques’. Wi: Journal of Mobile Media 9 (2). http://wi.mobilities.ca/owen-chapman-ecotones-eco-territories-and-the-sonic-relationality-of-space-an-audio-investigation-of-montreals-falaise-st-jacques-2/
R• Chapman, Owen, and Alison Reiko Loader. 2013. "Of Motors, Martians, and Jazz Age Cuties: The Stereoscopic Inventions of Laurens Hammond. " Edited by Janine Marchessault, Dan Adler, and Sandra Obradovic. PUBLIC 47: 3D Cinema and Beyond 24 (47): 110–122 (NB - this issue was also published simultaneously in book form by Intellect (U.K.) and the University of Chicago Press).
R• Chapman, Owen, and Kim Sawchuk. 2012. "Research-Creation: Intervention, Analysis and ‘Family Resemblances’. " Canadian Journal Of Communication, 37 (1): 5–26.
R• Chapman, Owen. 2012. "I Am Walking in a Room: Audio Art and Revealing. " Esse (74 - Reskilling) (January): 62–67. http://www.esse.ca/en/article/writing-audio-art-residency-i-am-walking-room-audio-art-and-revealing
R• Chapman, Owen. 2011. "The Elusive Allure of ‘Aura’: Sample-based Music and Benjamin’s Practice of Quotation. " Canadian Journal Of Communication 36 (2): 243–261.
R• Chapman, Owen. 2009. "The Icebreaker: Soundscape Works as Everyday Sound Art. " Organised Sound 14 (1): 83–88.
R• Chapman, Owen. 2009. "Radio Activity: Articulating the Theremin, Ondes Martenot and Hammond Organ. " Wi: Journal of Mobile Media Spring. http://wi.hexagram.ca/?p=44.
R• Chapman, O. 2005. "The Affect of Selection in Digital Sound Art." M/C Journal 8 (3). http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0507/03-chapman.php.
R• Chapman, Owen. 2001. "Mixing with Records." M/C: A Journal of Media and Culture 4 (2). http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0104/records.php
Contributions to Edited Volumes
R• Chapman, Owen, and Kim Sawchuk. 2014. "A pesquisa-criação explicada: quatro modos interligados. [Unravelling Research-Creation: four inter-related articulations.]" In Teorias Da Comunicação No Brasil e No Canadá. [Theories of Communication in Brazil and Canada], edited by L.C. Martino, G. Ferreira, M. Hohlfeldt, and O. de Morais, 91–109. Salvador: EDUFBa. http://teoriasetecnologiasdacomunicacao.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/teoria-meios-comunicacao_v1.pdf
Published Interviews (as Interviewer)
• Chapman, Owen. 2012. "‘Qu’entends-tu Par "Performance’? A Conversation with Chantal Dumas." No More Potlucks (24) (November). http://nomorepotlucks.org/site/quentends-tu-par-performance-a-conversation-with-chantal-dumas.
• Chapman, Owen. 2012. "‘On N’est Pas Conditionné à Voir Quelqu’un Qui Frotte Ou Gratte Une Boîte de Métal, Tu Sais?’: A Conversation with Magali Babin." No More Potlucks (21) (May). http://nomorepotlucks.org/site/on-nest-pas-conditionne-a-voir-quelquun-qui-frotte-ou-gratte-une-boite-de-metal-tu-sais-a-conversation-with-magali-babin-owen-chapman.
• Chapman, Owen. 2012. "‘Not All Audio Art Is Good, Obviously…’: A Conversation with Nimalan Yoganathan." No More Potlucks (20) (March). http://nomorepotlucks.org/site/not-all-audio-art-is-good-obviously.
• Chapman, Owen. 2012. "‘Whether That’s Audio Art or Sound Art, Honestly I Would Say I Couldn’t Care Less.’: A Conversation with Nancy Tobin." No More Potlucks (19) (January). http://nomorepotlucks.org/site/conversation-with-nancy-tobin.
Contributions written on invitation:
• Chapman, Owen. 2012. "The Revolution Will Be Sonic." Wi: Journal of Mobile Media 6 (2). http://wi.mobilities.ca/the-revolution-will-be-sonic/.
• Chapman, Concordia. 2007. "Selected Sounds: A Collective Investigation into the Practice of Sample-based Music." In Pivot: An Interdisciplinary Graduate Journal of Visual Culture., edited by Andria Hickey. Montreal: Concordia University.
• "Chapman, Owen. 2013. "Sound Moves: Intersections of Popular Music Studies, Mobility Studies and Soundscape Studies." Wi: Journal of Mobile Media 7 (1). Accessed October 8. http://wi.mobilities.ca/sound-moves-intersections-of-popular-music-studies-mobility-studies-and-soundscape-studies/.
• Chapman, Owen. 2009. "Active Radio." Wi: Journal of Mobile Media (Spring). http://wi.hexagram.ca/?p=42.
• 2014/15. Guest editorial committee member (along with Louis-Claude Paquin, Louise Poissant and Kim Sawchuk) for a forthcoming special "What is research-creation" edition of Media-N, scheduled for released in Nov 2015.
• 2013. Guest Editor for Special Edition on "Sound Moves" Wi: Journal of Mobile Media 7 (1).
• 2009. Guest Editor for Special Edition on "Active Radio" Wi: Journal of Mobile Media, Spring Issue.
Selected Conference Presentations (involving a peer reviewed abstract submission process):
• “Audio Toy Box”, Conference of the Canadian Disability Studies Association Ottawa, ON, June 4th 2015
- “Echoscape: Representing / Remixing Auditory Space With Mobile Devices”, IASPM-Canada Annual Conference, Ottawa, ON, May 29 2015
• "AudioMobile: From Soundmapping to Beat-making to Walking Interviews (Workshop)" IASPM-Canada Annual Conference, Québec, QC, May 24 2014
• "Ecotones, Eco-territories and the Sonic Relationality of Place" Locus Sonus "Audio-Mobility" Symposium, April 16-18 2014 - Aix-en-Provence.
• "Sonic Zoom: Audio Field Recording, Archiving and Remixing with Mobile Devices and Locative Media" Music and Labour: IASPM-Canada Annual Conference, Hamilton ON, May 26 2013
• "Audio-Mobile: The Revolution Will be Sonic", Sounding the Nation? Diaspora, Indigeneity, and Multiculturalism: IASPM-Canada Annual Conference, Wolfville NS, June 15 2012
• "Audio-Mobile: Eco-territories, cell phones, and locative media", Local and Mobile conference 2012 (3rd joint conference of the Cosmobilities Network and the Pan-American mobilities network and 3rd CRDM Annual Research Symposium), Raleigh, NC, March 17 2012
• "Audio-Mobile: Understanding Eco-territories through Mobile Technologies", Canadian Association of Cultural Studies Biennial Conference, Montreal, Nov 5th 2011
• with Rae Staseson, "Videoscapes, Soundtracking and the Synaesthesia of Collaborative Media Performance", Music and Environment: Place, Context, Conjuncture: IASPM-Canada Annual Conference, Montreal, June 16th 2011
• "Audio-Mobile: Fredericton." Canadian Communication Association Annual Conference, Fredericton, June 1st 2011
• "'Bluetooth Beats' and the Infrastructures of Mobile Music Making." Spaces of Violence, Sites of Resistance: Music, Media and Performance: IASPM-Canada Annual Conference, Regina, June 4th 2010
• "Methodologies of Research-Creation: Proposals for different criteria, practices and results." Canadian Communication Association Annual Conference, Montreal, June 2nd 2010
- "Sampling, Remix and Improvisation with Records. " Lex Non Scripta, Ars Non Scripta: Law, Justice & Improvisation Conference, Montreal, June 20th, 2009
• "Radio Activités: à la recherche des ondes musicales." Canadian Communication Association Annual Conference, Vancouver, June 4th 2008
• "The Ice-xylophone." Housing the Body / Dressing the Environment, Montreal, August 24th, 2007
• "With Love, From Me, For You": The affect of commissions on sound art" In and Out of the Sound Studio, Montreal, July 28th, 2005
• "Sonic Sedition through Aural Audition: Who’s got the conch in sample-based music?" On the Right Track: IASPM-Canada Annual Conference, Ottawa, May 16th, 2004
Selected Invited Scholarly Presentations and Workshops:
• “Echoscape: Performance and Round Table Discussion” Locus Sonus - Wi: Journal of Mobile Media special issue on “Audio-Mobility” launch event, Aix-en-Provence, France, April 2nd, 2015.
• "Resonating Spaces: tracing history, sharing rhythms, rippling the future." A multi-day mobile audio field recording and sound production workshop co-led with Stéphane Claude and Émilie Monnet. Oboro (Montreal), Jan 31- Feb 1 & Feb 14-15 2015.
• "Echoscape: Representing / Remixing Auditory Space." Interfaces numériques en situation de mobilité: dispositif cognitifs, artistique et ludiques / Digital Intrerfaces in Situations of Mobility: Cognitive, Artistic, Game Devices, Sorbonne Université Paris 1, Paris, Dec 18 2014
• "Performing Research Creation 2", Part of the 'Research Conversation Series: Research-Creation', Grad Pro Skills Workshop, Oct 14th2014, Concordia University.
• round-table panel member for the bilingual (French/English) "Looking Back on the Maple Spring: Improvisation and the Art(s) of Activism", Suoni Per Il Popolo Festival and the Colloquium Improvisation and the Politics of Everyday Sounds: Cornelius Cardew and Beyond, Montreal, June 11th 2014
• invited participant in the "Research-Creation Think Tank", organized by Dr. Natalalie Loveless March 24-25th 2014 at the University of Alberta. I provided a discussion paper on the epistemological considerations linked to research-creation for the event. My 2012 paper on research-creation, co-writing with Dr. Kim Sawchuk, was also distributed before the event as background reading.
• "Audio-Mobile: Field recording, sound mapping and audio creation with mobile phones 2." Mobile Sound Recording Workshop co-led with Sam Thulin and Stéphane Claude Oboro New Media Centre (Montreal), Jan 11-12, 18-19 2014
• "Sonic Zoom: Locative Audio Field-Recording and Soundmapping." Centre For Creative Content and Digital Innovation, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Dec 17 2013
• "Mobile: Media Dédramatisé?", MUTEK_IMAGE, The PHI-Centre (Montreal), Nov 22nd 2013
•"Performing Research-Creation", A conversation between myself and Banting Post Doc Fellow Dr. Doug Van Nort, Part of the 'Research Conversation Series: Research-Creation', Grad Pro Skills Workshop, Nov 8th 2013, Concordia University.
• "Audio Field Recording and Sound Mapping with Mobile Devices", Centre for Oral History and Digital Story Telling, Workshop and Scholarly Presentation, Sept 18th 2013, Concordia University. http://storytelling.concordia.ca/events/audio-field-recording-and-sound-mapping-mobile-devices
• "Audio on the Move." Scholarly presentation with Kim Sawchuk and Sam Thulin at the event 'Encuentro Inter-Universitario Argentina|Canada: Mobile Perspectives Symposium'. May 20-21, 2013. Espacio Fundación Telefónica, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Organized by Martha Ladly and Guillermina Buzio, featuring presentations by Canadian and Argentine scholars and artists.
• "Audio-Mobile". Workshop co-led with Sam Thulin. at the event Encuentro Inter-Universitario Argentina|Canada: Mobile Perspectives. May 16-17, 2013. Espacio Fundación Telefónica, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
• with Jen Southern, "Polyrhythmia, Audio-Mobile and Producing Locative Media Art." May 3 2013. Part of the lead up to the Differential Mobilities conference at Concordia University, Montreal, May 8-11 2013.
• "Audio-Mobile: Locative audio and mobile media." M.A. in Digital Musics Program, Dartmouth College, (Hanover NH) Feb 20th 2013 - https://soundcloud.com/owenchapman/improv-with-claviharp-and. This was at the invitation of visiting professor Tara Rodgers.
• with Sam Thulin (I was P.I.). "Art audio / Écoute, prise de son et localisation mobile." Mobile Sound Recording Workshop. Oboro New Media Centre (Montreal), Dec 1-2, 8-9 2012. http://www.oboro.net/fr/activite/art-audio-ecoute-prise-de-son-et-localisation-mobile
• "Étude des médias et de la recherche-création: interventions ontologique, épistémologique et méthodologique." Colloque International Les Théories de la Médias au Brésil et au Canada: l'histoire et le présent. Universidade Federal Da Bahia, Faculdade de Communicação, (Salvador Brazil), Oct. 22nd 2012
• with Kim Sawchuk and Sam Thulin (I was P.I.). "Audio-Mobile: App Development, Audio Field Recording and In-Situ Remixing." Mobile Sound Recording Workshop, Mobilities.Lab at Lancaster University (Lancaster UK), Sept 4th 2012
• "Une brève histoire de l'art sonore." Presented to secondary students in Dominique Pissard's "Art et multimédia" class at Collège Charles Lemoyne, (Longueuil, Québec) March 26th 2012.
• "Audio-Mobile: Soundmapping Ecoterritories" Soundscape and Mobility studies guest lecture. IMP Labs, University of Regina, hosted by Rebecca Caines, March 7th 2012
• "Cell Phones, Field Recording and Mobile Sound Production." Mobile Sound Recording Workshop co-led with Sam Thulin. IMP Labs, University of Regina, hosted by Charity Marsh, March 6th 2012
• with Sam Thulin (I was P.I.). "Audio-Mobile: Field Recording and Remixing with Mobile Technologies." Mobile Sound Recording Workshop. Oboro New Media Centre (Montreal), Feb 17 18th 2012
• "The Evolution of Mash-up Culture." Presented to attendees of the TEDx Concordia event (Montreal) Feb 19th 2011. http://tedxconcordia.com/talks/owen-chapman/
• "Sampling-as-quotation: Mash-ups, Sample-based Music and Fair Dealing." Presented to students and faculty in the Department of Law, McGill University, as part of the Rethinking Intellectual Property Policy club lecture series for 2010-2011. Nov 15th, 2010.
• "Mash-Up Culture and Sample-based Music." Presented to potential students and other visitors to the Concordia University Open-House, Oct 23rd 2010.
• "The Icebreaker: Synthesis, Sampling and Sound Art--Artist Talk with Live Performance." Presented to students and faculty in the Faculty of Creative Multimedia, Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Malaysia, Feb 23rd 2010.
• AudioMobile iOS app. Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 License Owen Chapman, May 2014. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audiomobile/id851837967?mt=8. and https://github.com/owenchapman/AudioMobile. AudioMobile allows the user to record audio while on the go, attaching a photograph and GPS coordinates to the file before uploading it to an online soundmap.
Media Works Linked to Written Publications
• I am Walking in a Room - 5m53s, and I am Playing Piano in a Room 14m51s (audio pieces) - http://www.oboro.net/fr/content/owen-chapman-oboro . These pieces were published online by Oboro in parallel with the Jan 2012 launch of Issue 74 of Esse (http://www.esse.ca). The composition of these pieces was an integral part of the research process for writing the Esse essay.
R • Frozen Puddle - 2m36s (video), The Ice Xylophone (video) - 3m07s and Improvisation with Ice Xylophone, Ondes Martenot, Laptop and Guitar - 7m35s (audio piece - with S. Binet-Audet, K. Audet and D. Madden). These three pieces were included on a DVD accompanying Organised Sound, Vol. 14, #3 (2009). They are linked to the essay I published in Organised Sound, Vol. 14, #1.
• Calling the Voice-O-Graph, Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License Owen Chapman, 2009. A self-released full-length audio-CD available for free download through http://soundcloud.com/owenchapman/sets .
• "Selected Sounds: A collective investigation into the practice of sample-based music" © Chapman, Friz, Gallant, Houde, Morris, Moscos, Williams, 2007. A collaborative full-length audio CD compiling 7 tracks composed from the same 7 samples, but by different artists. The CD is an integral component of my PhD dissertation. NB—100 copies of this CD were commissioned for a limited edition version of Pivot: An interdisciplinary graduate journal of visual culture, Vol. 1, #1 (2007). Available for free download through http://soundcloud.com/owenchapman/sets .
• [and he flew toward it], Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License Owen Chapman, Squeezebox Records, 2006. A self-released full-length audio-CD of material commissioned for contemporary dance. Available for free download through http://soundcloud.com/owenchapman/sets .
Participation in Other Recording Projects
• Binet-Audet, Suzanne and David Madden. 2013. "Vers L'Or (Extended Mix)", Musicworks, #117. I was one of the producers on this track, along with Caroline Martel and Clovis Gouaillier release. I also played percussion during the original recording session. The piece is used in Martel's 2012 film on the Ondes Martenot entitled "Wavemakers".
• Kenway, Claire. 2013. "Undiscovered Secrets". from the album Full Circle Vol 1. Good Night Noon Recordings. http://www.beatport.com/release/full-circle-vol-1/1029414. I was producer for this track. commissioning the piece from the artist for my Ondes Martenot/Novachord research-creation project.
Soundtracks and Audio Works (since 2008)
• Sound design for Ceci n’est pas embres, a non-linear, data-based driven "Korsakow" video by Matt Soar. http://www.embres.ca/
• "Electricity (Jazzfest Remix)" -- Commissioned by Clara Furey for her show at the Festival International de Jazz de Montreal, June 27-28th 2011, in which I also performed live (see "Selected Performances below).
• "Electricity (Quat-Sous Remix)" -- Commissioned by Clara Furey for her show at Theatre Quat-Sous (Montreal), Oct 21-25th, 2010 (see "Selected Performances" below)
• "Conversation with a Sunflower (version KL)" -- collaboration with video artist Rae Staseson. I performed a live original composition with her video at various locations during 2010, including the Faculty of Creative Multimedia, Multimedia University, Cyber Jaya, Malaysia (Feb 24th 2010) and the Casa Del Popolo (Montreal - March 28th, 2010).
• "Snow Walk to Hill (Icebreaker Remix)" -- collaboration with video artist Rae Staseson. I performed a live original composition with her video at various locations during 2010, including the Faculty of Creative Multimedia, Multimedia University, Cyber Jaya, Malaysia (Feb 23rd 2010), the Casa Del Popolo (Montreal - March 28th, 2010) and the Concordia FOFA Gallery (May 31st, 2010).
• "Bluetooth Beats" -- Commissioned by Concordia Vice Provost Ollivier Dyens for the President’s Conference Series event at Concordia entitled Every Breath You Take: Surveillance, Security and the End of Privacy (Nov 4th, 2009). This is an interactive audio composition enabled through Bluetooth file sharing and cell phones.
• "Out My Window" and "Everyday Law" (25 mins) -- Commissioned by Canada Research Chair in Law and Discourse, Desmond Manderson, McGill University, Faculty of Law. These pieces were composed as soundtracks to two image and text-based videos prepared by Desmond Manderson, Helge Dedek, Tina Piper, and Kirsten Anker and entitled "Through the Looking Glass: Art as the Mirror of Law". Presented at the Bravo McGill 2009 Showcase, Feb 10th and 11th, 2009.
• "Sublimation," and "The Ice Field," © Chapman 2008 (15 mins) – Commissioned by choreographer George Stamos for a contemporary dance performance at in Montreal at L'Agora de la dance, Oct 15-18 2008. The title of this work is "Reservoir/Pneumatic" and features these new pieces, along with a selection of pieces commissioned by Stamos since 2006. I am the main composer for this dance work, in collaboration with Jackie Gallant. I also perform the works live during the 60 minute performance, along with additions from Gallant.
• "Steamboat Mickey © Chapman 2008 (5 mins) -- Commissioned by Dr. Matt Soar as an original soundtrack to a 50-person "rotoscoping" project, wherein Walt Disney's "Steamboat Willie" cartoon was re-sketched frame by frame, with the new soundtrack in place of the old. Part of the "Open Source Cinema Project". http://blip.tv/basement-tapes-open-source-cinema/steamboat-mickey-864628
Audio Art Exhibitions
• Audio-Mobile|Echoscape. With Sam Thulin and Kim Sawchuk. Exhibition of two related projects exploring mobile and networked audio technology, and featuring recordings made by workshop participants. Encuentro Inter-Universitario Argentina|Canada: Mobile Perspectives. May 15-24, 2013. Espacio Fundación Telefónica, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Curated by Martha Ladly and Guillermina Buzio.
• Audio-Mobile - Montreal. Touch-screen based sound-map installation, featuring audio recordings from downtown Montreal. Installed as part of the Differential Mobilities - 4th annual meeting of the Pan-American Mobilities Research Network conference, May 8-11 2013, in Montreal. Curated by Giuliana Cucinelli and Kim Sawchuk.
• "Out My Window" and "Everyday Law" (11 mins total)--part of the Mobile Media Gallery’s "Discoverable" and "Media Hot and Cold" campaigns, Oct 26 and 27 2009 at various locations at Concordia University (Montreal) and in the Faculty of Creative Multimedia, Multimedia University, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia from Feb 21-23rd 2010. Curator: Kim Sawchuk.
Selected Performances (since 2008)
• "Improv with Claviharp and electronics", Green Fish Concert Series, Dartmouth College, (Hanover NH) Feb 21st 2013 - https://soundcloud.com/owenchapman/improv-with-claviharp-and.
• "DJ vs Thereminvox (Working Title)". Audio Art Performance as part of the monthly "24 Gauche" Sound Art Series, at Espace Project, Montreal, May 23rd 2012.
• as DJ Opositive, Canadian Association of Cultural Studies Biennial Conference - 'Cultural Study This!' Cabaret, Salla Rossa, Montreal, Nov 5th 2011.
• with Clara Furey at the Musée D'Art Contemporain (MAC) as part of the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal, June 27-28, 2011. This was a rearranged version of our Oct 2010 performance (see below).
• "The Icebreaker". Audio Art performance using ice, contact microphones, audio signal processing and video projection (25 mins). Shown as part of the "Performance Mix Festival", April 26th 2011, at Dixon Place, NYC. I am the artistic director and main interpreter of this piece, which includes contributions from Yvan Cazabon, Rae Staseson, George Stamos, Anna Friz, Tara Rodgers, Michel Duvernet and Sam Thulin. Research for the Icebreaker was supported by the Canada Council. The "Performance Mix Festival" performance was supported by a Canada Council travel grant.
• "Carte-Blanche à Clara Furey", at the Theatre Quat-Sous (Montreal) Oct 21-25th, 2010. A 1.5 hour presentation of original works by Clara Furey, Tomas Furey and myself, arranged collaboratively.
• "The Icebreaker - performative lecture", May 31st, 2010 (60 mins). Shown as part of the Concordia University, Faculty of Fine Arts (FOFA) Gallery series "Connected Understanding" during the 2010 Congress of the Humanities.
• solo performance for keyboard, drum machines and voice at the Casa Del Popolo (Montreal), March 28th, 2010.
• solo performance for keyboard, turntable, drums and voice during the CD release party for Calling the Voice-O-Graph, at the Casa Del Popolo (Montreal), Oct 28th, 2009.
• with Clara Furey, "The Icebreaker", Jan 24th, 2009 (20 mins). Shown as part of Studio 303's Verni 142 "Ground" event (Montreal).
• with Will Straw, a combined DJ set and lecture on "lost media"--presented at Blizzarts (Montreal) on Dec 1st 2008 as part of the monthly "Mess" event hosted by indyish.com.
• as DJ/Musician/Composer/Performer in "Reservoir/Pneumatic" (sextet, 60 min version), a contemporary dance piece choreographed by George Stamos. Shown at Montreal's L'Agora de La Dance from Oct 15th-18th 2008 and also at the Toronto "Dancemakers" festival, Sept. 25-27 2008. "Reservoir/Pneumatic" was slated for a reprise at L'Agora due to popular demand from Feb. 19th-21st 2009, but was cancelled on opening night due to a sudden illness on the part of another performer.
Works Used by Other Media Artists
Works Used by Other Media Artists
• "Hear the Wind" (from my Calling the Voice-O-Graph CD) was used by Alison Loader as the soundtrack to her piece Squash and Stretch: The Secret Life of Zucchinis (5 mins), involving time-lapse recording and microscopic animation. Can be viewed at http://vimeo.com/11916421 and http://vimeo.com/11913842. Juried Screenings: Planet in Focus International Environmental Film Festival, Oct 13-17 2010, Toronto (Festival Screening) http://planetinfocus.bside.com/2010/films/squashandstretchthesecretlifeofzucchinis_alisonloader_planetinfocus2010; Visualeyez 2010, Sept 15-21 2010, Latitude 53 gallery, Edmonton (part of installation: Culinary Cultures in the Kinder/Garden) http://www.visualeyez.org
• "Everyday Law," "Jojomash," "Hipnosis" "Out My Window" and "Big Liquid Tic Tac Chair" (from my Calling the Voice-O-Graph CD) were all used by Choreographer George Stamos for a entitled Dysmorphic Delicious. Performances by Johanna Biennaise: Piscine Theatre (part of L'Agora de la Dance), Montreal, April 16th 2010; Cité Danse, Grenoble (France), July 1st 2010; Art Department of the Universidad Fédéral do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Porto Alegre (Brazil) on March 25th 2011.
• "Trut" and "For Nawaf", two tracks featured on my 2006 release [and he flew toward it] appear in a documentary video entitled "Water Walkers", produced by Liz Miller, edited by Laura Cohen, and submitted to the NFB Citizenshift initiative in Feb 2007 (http://citizen.nfb.ca).