Skip to main content

Section 13.7 Required Documents

Required Documents

Section 13.7.1 All Applicants

Section 13.7.2 Permanent Code

Proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency

All applicants must provide documentary proof of their status in Canada. Applicants who have been accepted by the University and who have not provided this proof of status will automatically be charged the higher International tuition fees. To provide proof of Canadian citizen/permanent resident status, applicants must submit a photocopy to the Admissions Application Centre of one of the following documents:

  • Canadian Birth Certificate;
  • Quebec Birth Certificate issued by the Quebec Directeur de l’état civil with the mention “Certified” or “certifié conforme”;
  • Canadian Citizenship Card (both sides);
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate;
  • Permanent Resident Card (both sides) or IMM 5292 or IMM 5688;
  • Certificate of Indian Status Card (both sides).

The following documents are not acceptable:

  • Driver’s Licence:
  • Medicare Card;
  • Social Insurance Number Card;
  • Quebec Baptismal Certificate.

In case of a discrepancy in information provided, the University reserves the right to ask students to provide additional documentation to verify their legal name.

Proof of Quebec Residency (Applicable to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents)

The University will endeavour to establish Quebec residency status for applicants from Quebec Cegeps by importing Quebec resident status data electronically from government files based on their “permanent code.”

Other Canadian citizens and permanent residents must present proof of Quebec residency. Students who have not provided such evidence are automatically charged non-Quebec resident fees.

To prove Quebec residency, applicants must supply the Office of the Registrar with an original or a legible photocopy of one of the following documents:

  • A “certified” birth certificate issued after January 1, 1994 by the Government of Quebec (regardless of place of birth), which does not contain the notation “Émis en vertu de l’article 137 du Code Civil”;
  • A current Canadian passport clearly indicating a place of birth in Quebec;
  • A Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or an official letter from the Ministère des Communautés culturelles et de l’immigration du Québec attesting that the student is the holder of a CSQ;
  • A loan certificate issued by l’Aide financière aux études du ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur for the current year.

In addition, the student may fit into one of a number of other approved government categories. Among the categories recognized by the Government are:

  • A student adopted by a person with residency status in Quebec at the time of the adoption;
  • A student, one of whose parents resides in Quebec;
  • A student who has resided in Quebec for at least 12 months before becoming a full-time student;
  • A student who came to Canada as a permanent resident without a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) but has resided in Quebec for at least three months without having lived elsewhere for more than three months since landing in Canada;
  • A student whose spouse qualifies under these criteria as a Quebec resident.

Students who had Quebec resident status at Concordia in the past may have to renew their Quebec resident status after an absence of more than one year.

If, upon acceptance to a University program, proof of Quebec residency has not been established, students must apply for Quebec residency via the Student Hub: Log into > Personal Information (drop down menu) > Quebec Residency Application and submit the required documentation by the deadline for the term in question. Details can be found at Quebec resident status may not be granted retroactively.

Section 13.7.1 All Applicants

Academic Documents


Applicants must submit all secondary and post secondary academic records. In order for their admission to be finalized, they must ensure that an official transcript is forwarded directly to the Admissions Application Centre by all of the institutions which they have attended.

With their application, students currently enrolled at an institution must include results from all previous terms together with a list of courses in progress. They must arrange for an official transcript with the results of the final semester to be forwarded as soon as possible once they have been admitted. All documents must be originals or appropriately certified copies. Uncertified copies are not acceptable; neither are records transmitted by fax. Transcripts in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by a certified translation. If the transcript does not detail the subjects and the grades, a certified statement of these from an authorized official of the institution should also be included.

The above procedure whereby institutions send official transcripts directly to Concordia University is the normal method for receipt of official transcripts. However, in order to accelerate the review of their file, students may submit official transcripts in sealed envelopes along with their application, subject to the following procedures: applicants are to request each previous educational institution to provide them with a copy of their official transcript, sealed in an envelope which bears the name and address of the school, the institutional logo (if applicable), a notice on the envelope stating that it contains official transcripts, and a signature/signature stamp/explanatory label placed across the seal of the envelope.

NOTE: All required documents received by Concordia University become the property of the University. Official documents and/or transcripts will not be returned to the applicant and will be destroyed after three years.


Section 13.7.2 Permanent Code

Permanent Code

The Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur requires all registered students to have a “permanent code” (a unique identifying number) which is assigned by the Ministry. Students who already have a permanent code must enter it on their application form.

For students who have attended or are currently attending Cegep in Quebec, Concordia University will automatically obtain the required Cegep record electronically by using their permanent code.

© Concordia University