Dr. Caroline Hachem-Vermette
Full-time faculty, Building, Civil, and Environmental Engineering
Engineering, Computer Science and Visual Arts Integrated Complex,
1515 St. Catherine W.
|Phone:||(514) 848-2424 ext. 8073|
Originally trained as architect, my perception of the built environment is enriched through my extensive graduate research consisting of a master’s in architecture from the Holy Spirit Kaslik (Lebanon), a master’s degree in architecture from the Technion Institute of Technology, Israel (in structural design), and an additional master and a PhD degree in Building Engineering at Concordia University (Montreal). I believe that form, function, and performance are complementary domains in the development of high-performance, sustainable, built environment and their interaction should be systematically investigated. Based on this principle, my research activities have been progressing from conceptual aspects, dealing mostly with “forms”, into more technologically oriented directions of the “function” and “performance”, including research related to building envelope design for cold climate, low environmental impact advanced building materials and applications, and high energy performance communities.
The various domains of my expertise extending from building components’ level to neighborhood level are complementary and have direct impact on sustainable urban development. While my interests and experience are wide ranging, my recent research has been focused on environmental aspects of urban (and peri-urban) areas, in view of the urgency of addressing climate impact of the built environment.
My research area includes the investigations of multifunctional energy-efficient, resilient neighborhood patterns, solar potential and energy implications of building shapes, building envelope design, developing multifunctional facades for multistory buildings, and others. My research is multidisciplinary, it plays a bridging role between building engineering and architectural and urban design.
I am currently leading a subtask on developing strategies for net-zero energy solar communities, within the International Agency Energy Task (IEA) 63- Planning Solar Neighborhoods. I was also an expert on 2 others IEA tasks on solar energy in architecture and urban planning. I am widely published on the topic of energy efficiency and solar energy, including a book (with Springer) on designing solar buildings and neighborhoods. I am a recipient of a number of awards including the 2019 Peak Scholar Award, 2016 sustainability award, e-sim/ IBPSA award for innovation in modelling, and Hangai prize for young researchers.
Equity,Diversity and Inclusion
I aim at creating an equitable lab environment, where I provide equal support and educational opportunities, as well as fair treatment to all HQPs. I encourage diversity, focusing on research potential as basis to recruit HQPs, regardless of ethnic, gender, age or disabilities. As female engineer, I recognize barriers faced by women to engage in engineering related activities. I aim at reducing such barriers by tailoring training to needs and capabilities.
Recognizing the importance of training women in leadership roles in Engineering and Sciences, I obtained a certificate of Women in Leadership (Cornell University). This will further allow me to pass-on such trainingto my female HQPS.
1. Hachem-Vermette, C., and Singh, K., 2022, Energy resilience indicators and application to energy crises response strategies, in review
2. Singh, K. and Hachem-Vermette, C., 2022, Techniques of improving infrastructure and energy resilience in urban setting, published.
3. Yadav, S., Hachem-Vermette, C., Panda, S, 2022, Design and Performance Evaluation of Greenhouse Integrated thin-film Photovoltaic (GiPVT) System with Earth Air Heat Exchanger (EAHE), in review.
4. Zahedi, R., hasan Ghodusinejad, M., Aslani, A. and Hachem-Vermette, C., 2022. Modelling community-scale renewable energy and electric vehicle management for cold-climate regions using machine learning. Energy Strategy Reviews, 43, p.100930.
5. Hachem-Vermette, C., 2022. Role of solar energy in achieving net zero energy neighborhoods. Solar Energy Advances, 2, p.100018.
6. Syed*, A and Hachem-Vermette, C., Towards the development of energy sharing methodology between different buildings for highly efficient neighborhood design; in review.
7. Hachem-Vermette, C. and Singh*, K, Energy systems and energy sharing in traditional and sustainable archetypes of urban developments, 2022, Journal of Sustainability.
8. Singh*, K. and Hachem-Vermette, C., 2022, Novel approach of urban energy simulations using EnergyPlus and programming language, Energy and Buildings.
9. Aslani*, A and Hachem-Vermette, C., 2022 Life Cycle Assessment and the Environmental Impact of Magnesium Oxychloride Wall Panels Compared to High-performance Walls; Journal of Construction and Building Materials.
10. Aslani*, A and Hachem-Vermette, C., 2022. Energy and Environmental Assessment of High-performance Building Envelope in Cold Climate, Energy and Buildings.
11. Hachem-Vermette, C. and Singh*, K, Optimization of energy resources in various building cluster archetypes, submitted to Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2021.
12. Yadav, S., Panda, S., Hachem-Vermette, C., 2021, Periodic Theory of Greenhouse integrated Semi-transparent Photovoltaic Thermal (GiSPVT) system integrated with Earth Air Heat Exchanger (EAHE); Renewable Energy.
13. Hachem-Vermette, C. and Singh, K., Analysis of urban energy resources to achieve net-zero energy neighborhoods. Frontiers in Sustainable Cities, p.111.
14. Yadav* Somil, Sarat Panda, Caroline Hachem-Vermette. (2021); Effect of Water Flow on Energy Matrices and Life-cycle Cost Analysis of Urban BiSPVT System, Energy & Buildings.
15. Edun**, A, Hachem-Vermette, C., 2022, Post-Consumer Waste Recycling for High Performance Building Envelopes in Cold Climates: Assessing Energy and Environmental Impacts, Journal of Cleaner Production, Accepted.
16. Edun**, A, Hachem-Vermette, C., 2021, Energy and Environmental Impact of Recycled End of Life Tires Applied in Building Envelopes, journal of Building Engineering, 39, p.102242.
17. Singh, K, Hachem-Vermette, C., 2021, Economical Energy Resource Planning in Sustainable Energy Neighborhood, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews.
18. Somil Yadav*, Caroline Hachem-Vermette, Sarat Panda,. (2020). Optimum azimuth and inclination angle of BIPV panel owing to different factors influencing the shadow of adjacent building. Renewable Energy.
19. Yadav, S.*., Panda, S., Hachem-Vermette, C., 2020. Determination of Optimum Azimuth and Tilt Angle of BIPV Panel Influenced by Shadow of Adjacent Building Having Different Plan Orientations, Journal of Applied Energy.
20. Yadav, S.*., Panda , S., and Hachem-Vermette, C. (2020). Exergetic Performance Assessment of Optimally Inclined BIPV Thermal System by Considering Cyclic Nature of Insolation. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering: Including Wind Energy and Building Energy Conservation. SOL-20-1203, Accepted.
21. Hachem-Vermette, C., Singh, K*, 2020, Optimization Of Energy Resources Mix Within A Mixed-Use Neighborhood, Journal of Applied Energy.
22. Guarino, F., Longo, S., Hachem,-Vermette, C., Cellura, M, and La Roccaa, V. (2020). Life cycle assessment of solar communities. Solar Energy.
23. Yadav, S.*., Panda, S., Hachem-Vermette, C., 2020. Method to Improve Performance of BIPV Thermal System Having Optimum Tilt and Facing Directions, Journal of Applied Energy.
24. Dara*, C Hachem-Vermette, C., 2019. Evaluation of low-impact modular housing using energy optimization and life cycle analysis; Journal of Energy, Ecology and Environment 4 (6), 286-299.
25. Singh, K. and Hachem-Vermette, C., 2019. Influence of mixed-use neighborhood developments on the performance of waste-to-energy CHP plant. Energy, 189, p.116172.
26. Dara*, C., Hachem-Vermette, C. and Assefa, G., 2019. Life cycle assessment and life cycle costing of container-based single-family housing in Canada: A case study. Building and Environment, 163, p.106332.
27. Hachem-Vermette, C. and Singh, K., 2019. Optimization of the mixture of building types in a neighborhood and their energy and environmental performance. Energy and Buildings, 204, p.109499.
28. Hachem-Vermette, C. and Singh, K., 2019. Mixed-use neighborhoods layout patterns: Impact on solar access and resilience. Sustainable Cities and Society, 51, p.101771.
29. Hachem-Vermette, C., Guarino, F., La Rocca, V. and Cellura, M., 2019. Towards achieving net-zero energy communities: Investigation of design strategies and seasonal solar collection and storage net-zero. Solar Energy, 192, pp.169-185.
30. Singh, K*. and Hachem C., 2019. Impact of Commercial Land Mixture on Energy and Environmental Performance of Mixed-Use Neighborhoods, Journal of Building and Environment, 154, pp.182-199.
31. Hachem, C., and Singh K*., 2019. Investigation of the impact of residential mixture on energy and environmental performance of mixed use neighborhoods, Journal of Applied Energy, 241, pp.362-379.
32. Syed*, A., and Hachem , C. 2019. Review of Lighting, Controls, Carbon-dioxide, Passive Design and Renewable Energy Systems for Agricultural Greenhouses, ‘Journal of Biosystems Engineering’ (J. Biosyst. Eng., JBE, e-ISSN: 2234-1862, p-ISSN: 1738-1266.
33. Syed*, A. and Hachem C., 2019. Review of Construction, Geometry, HVAC and Indoor Climate Requirements of Agricultural Greenhouses, Journal of Biosystems Engineering’ (J. Biosyst. Eng., JBE, e-ISSN: 2234-1862, p-ISSN: 1738-1266).
34. Syed* and Hachem, C, 2019, Net-Zero Energy Design and Energy Sharing Potential Between Retail and Greenhouse Complex, Journal of Building Engineering.
35. Hachem, C. and Beckett**, R., 2018. Early stage Design Workflow for high Energy Performance Multi-storey Residential Buildings, Journal of Architectural Environment & Structural Engineering Research.
36. Syed*, A. and hachem, C. 2018, Climate change resilient urban prototypes – A Canadian perspective on net zero energy design for retail amenities, Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol 116, No 1.
37. Hachem, C. 2018, Multistory Building Envelope: Creative Design and Enhanced Performance, Journal of Solar Energy; 159:710-721. DOI: 10.1016/j.solener.2017.11.012
38. Hachem C. and MacGregor A.**, 2017, Energy Optimized Envelope for Cold Climate Indoor Agricultural Growing Center, Journal of Buildings, 7(3), 59; (This article belongs to the Special Issue Towards Decarbonization in the Building Sector: Innovating Net-zero Energy Buildings) doi:10.3390/buildings7030059 (registering DOI).)
39. Hachem C, ElSayed, M. (2016), Patterns of façade system design for enhanced energy performance of multistory buildings, Journal of Energy and Building, Volume130, 366-377. s.
This paper was selected as a key scientific article for advances in engineering [http://www.crebnow.com/reaching-for-the-sun/].
40. Hachem, C., (2016). Impact of neighborhood design on energy performance and GHG emissions, Journal of Applied Energy, Volume 177, Pages 422–434.
41. Hachem C., Cubi, E. Bergerson, J. (2016). Energy performance of a solar mixed-use community, Journal of Sustainable cities and communities, Volume 27, Pages 145-151.
42. Hachem, C., (2015), Integrated design considerations for solar communities, Journal of Green Buildings, V 10, N2.
43. Hachem C., Athienitis A., Fazio P., (2014). Energy performance enhancement in multistory residential buildings, Journal of Applied Energy, 116, pp. 9-19
44. Hachem C., Fazio, P., and Athienitis, A., (2013). Solar optimized residential neighborhoods: Evaluation and design methodology, Journal of Solar Energy, 95, 42–64.
45. Hachem C., Athienitis A., (2013). Using Passive Design, ASHRAE journal, Volume 55, Issue 1, Pages 72-74.
46. Hachem C., Athienitis A., Fazio P., (2012). Evaluation of energy supply and demand in solar neighborhoods, Journal of Energy and Buildings. Volume 49, Pages 335-347.
47. Hachem C., Athienitis A., Fazio P., (2012). Design of roofs for increased solar potential of BIPV/T systems and their applications to housing units. ASHRAE Transactions RNS-00226-2011.R1.
48. Hachem C., A. Athienitis, P. Fazio, (2011), Investigation of Solar Potential of Housing Units in Different Neighborhood Designs, Journal of Energy and Buildings, Volume 43, Issue 9, Pages 2262-2273.
49. Hachem C., A. Athienitis, P. Fazio, (2011), Parametric investigation of geometric form effects on solar potential of housing units, Journal of Solar Energy, Volume 85, Issue 9, Pages 1864-1877.
50. Hachem, C., Chaubey, Y., Fazio P., Rao, J. and Bartlett, K., (2010), Statistical analysis of microbial volatile organic compounds in an experimental project: identification and transport analysis, Indoor and Built Environment, 19(2): 275-285.
51. Hachem,C., Fazio, P., Rao, J., Bartlett, K., Chaubey, Y., (2008); Identification and Transport Investigation of Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds in Full Scale Stud Cavities, Building and Environment, Volume 44, Issue 8, Pages 1691-1698.
52. Hachem, C., Karni, E., Hanaor, A., Evaluation of Biological Deployable Systems, International Journal of Space Structure, Vol.20, No 4, 2005,189-200.
53. Hachem, C., Hanaor, A., Folding Sleeves – Variations on a Theme of the Earthworm, International Journal of Space Structure, Vol.20, No 3, 2005, 127-146.
54. Hachem, C., Hanaor, A., Deployable Applications Based on Biological Organisms, Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, Vol.46, No 2, 2005, 94-106.
55. Hachem, C., Karni, E., Hanaor, A., Deployable Structures in Nature: Examples, Analysis and Realization, Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, Vol.45, No 3, 2004, 190- 198.
1. Hachem- Vermette, Role of Neighbourhood Spatial and Energy Design in Reducing Energy Vulnerability During Power Disruption; The 17th Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems (SDEWES), Nov 2022, Cyprus.
2. Yadav, S., Hachem-Vermette, C., Panda, S., Semi-transparent photovoltaic thermal (SPVT) greenhouse system combined with earth-air heat exchanger for cold climatic aquaculture, Eurosun, 2022.
3. Campamà Pizarro, R.; Hachem-Vermette, C.; Grewal, K; Bernardo, R.; Kanters, J. Wall, M.
4. D’Almeida, R., Hachem-Vermette, C., Singh, K., (2021), Implementation of solar strategies within different urban layouts, ISES Conference, online.
5. K. Singh and C. Hachem-Vermette, Energy sharing potential in mixed-use cluster, eSim 2020, Vancouver, Canada, 2020.
6. Caroline Hachem-Vermette. (2020). Design strategies for climate resilient Neighborhoods. CAE Roadmap to Resilient Ultra-Low Energy Built Environment with Deep Integration of Renewables in 2050
7. Alarcon Herrera, Olivia*; Hachem-Vermette, Caroline. (2020). Developing Multi-functional Design Strategies for Facades in Net-Zero Energy High-Rise Buildings. PLEA.
8. Singh*, K., Hachem-Vermette C. (2020). Energy Sharing Between Sustainable Residential And Conventional Commercial Buildings Cluster. PLEA.
9. Caroline Hachem-Vermette. (2020). Design and Performance of Landscape Adaptable PV Structures. Eurosun.
10. K. Grewal* and C. Hachem, (2020). Scheduling of Hybrid Heating and Cooling System Based on Energy Resources for Mixed-Use Multistorey Building" for the 2020 ASHRAE Annual Conference.
11. K. Grewal* and C. Hachem. (2019). Impact of waste disposal variation on performance of waste-to-energy based CHP: A case study. International Conference on Innovative Applied Energy (IAPE’19), Oxford, United Kingdom.
12. Guarino, F., Longo, S., Hachem-Vermette, C. and Cellura, M. (2019). Environmental Life Cycle Impacts of a Solar –Borehole Thermal Energy Storage Integrated District Heating System. SDEWES, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
13. Syed* A. and Hachem-Vermette, C.,. (2019). Design Optimization and Energy Sharing Potential of Urban centric Community. 16th International Building Simulations Conference and Exhibition, Rome, Italy Conference
14. Hachem C., Guarino F., La Rocca V., Cellura, M., Thermal collection and seasonal storage potential of a mixed use neighborhood, Eurosun 2018
15. Hachem C., Dara*, C. and Kane, R., 2018; Towards net-zero energy modular housing: a case study. Modular and Offsite Construction (MOC) Summit EN17.
16. Beckett** R. and Hachem C., (2017), Building Envelope Energy Optimization for Multistory Buildings, 2017 Canada Conference on Building Science Technology (CCBST 2017), Vancouver, Canada. BC
17. MacGregor** A. and Hachem C. (2016). Cold-Climate Supermarket attached Greenhouse: A Case Study, Eurosun Conference, Spain.
18. Hachem C., (2016) Environmental impact of various neighborhood designs, SimAUD 2016, London.
19. MacGregor** A. and Hachem, C. (2016) Investigation of Design Strategies For Improved Energy Performance In Supermarkets: A Case Study, eSim 2016. DG
20. ElSayed M. and Hachem C. (2016). Development of optimization methodology for increased energy efficiency of PV integrated curtain wall systems, eSim 2016. SN
21. Bigalia E., Hachem, C., ElSayed M., and Athienitis, A. (2016). Solar energy potential for commercial building façade retrofit, eSim 2016.
22. Hachem C., Cubi, E. Bergerson J. (2015). Energy performance of a solar mixed-use community, 4th Climate Change Technology Conference, Montreal, Canada.SN
23. Hachem C., (2015), Design of a base case mixed-use community and its energy performance, 6th International Building Physics Conference, Torino, Italy. SN
24. C. Hachem, P. Fazio and A. Athienitis, (2013), Design of curtain wall facades in multistory buildings for improved solar potential and daylighting distribution, ISES Conference,3-7 Nov., Cancun, Mexico.
25. C. Hachem, P. Fazio and A. Athienitis, (2013), Effect of Housing Density on Energy Performance of Solar-optimized Residential Configurations, CISBAT Conference, 4-6 September, Lausanne, Switzerland.
26. Hachem C., Athienitis A., and Fazio P., Design Methodology of Solar Neighborhoods, Solar Heating and Cooling Conference, Energy Procedia, July 2012.
27. Hachem C., Athienitis A., and Fazio P.., Solar Optimized Neighborhood Patterns: Evaluation and Guidelines, eSim 2012, 7th Biennal Building Simulation Conference of IBPSA-Halifax, Canada, May 2 - 3, 2012.
28. Hachem C., Fazio P., and Athienitis A., Energy Implications and Solar Energy Potential of Housing Units ‘Shapes, The 5th International Building Physics Conference (IBPC5), Kyoto, Japan, May 2012.
29. Hachem C., Athienitis, A., and Fazio P.., Design of Roof Morphology for Increased Solar Potential of BIPV/T Systems, ISES Conference, Kassel, Germany, August 2011.
30. Hachem C., Athienitis, A., and Fazio, P.., Evaluation of Alternative Neighborhood Patterns for BIPV Potential and Energy Performance, CISBAT, Lauzanne, Switzerland, September 2011.
31. Hachem C., Athienitis, A., and Fazio, P., Design of Solar Optimized Neighbourhood, ASHRAE conference, Montreal, June 2011.
32. Hachem C., Athienitis, A., and Fazio, P. A Study of the Influence of Housing Unit Form and Density on Solar Potential, EuroSun conference, Graz, Austria, 28 Sep.-1 Oct., 2010.
33. Hachem C., Athienitis A, Fazio P. and O’Brien W., Design of Passive Low Energy, Low Cost Housing: A Case Study, Canadian Solar Building Conference, Totonto, 2009.
34. Hachem, C., K. Bartlett, P. Fazio, J. Rao, Y. Chauby, Sampling and Evaluation of Mold Related Volatile Organic Compounds in Full Scale Stud Cavities, ASTM symposium, April 2009, Vancouver, Canada.
35. Hachem, C., Chaubey, Y., Fazio, P., Rao, J., Bartlett, K.; Statistical Analysis of Mold Related Volatile Organic Compounds in Full Scale Stud Wall Cavities, the Forth International Building Physics Conference (IBPC4), Istanbul, June (2009).
36. Hachem, C., K. Bartlett, P. Fazio, J. Rao, C. Chaubey, Investigation of Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds and Their Transport through the Building Envelope, Nordic Conference of Building Physics, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 2008.
37. Hachem, C., Karni, E., Hanaor, A., "Deployable Structures in Nature: Examples, Analysis and Realization", Shell and Spatial Structures, from Models to Realization, Proc. IASS Symposium, Montpellier, 20-24 September, 2004.
1. Dara*, C. and Hachem C.; Life Cycle Assessment: Low Energy and Low Carbon modular housing in Canada, 5th International Conference on “Energy, Sustainability and Climate Change”, ESCC 2018 Mykonos, Greece, June 4-6, 2018.
2. Tyler, ME, and Hachem Re-Framing Urban Design: Buildings as a primary source of electricity and GHG reduction, 5th International Conference on “Energy, Sustainability and Climate Change”, ESCC 2018 Mykonos, Greece, June 4-6, 2018.
3. Tyler, ME, and Hachem, C., 2017. Transformational Design: Demonstrating Infrastructure and Projective Ecologies in a Canadian Urban Context
4. Hachem, C., 2017, Impact of Design approach of cold-climate greenhouse on Energy performance and GHG emissions, 4th International Conference on Energy, Sustainability and Climate Change, June 12-14, 2017 .
5. Robinston* and Hachem 2017 Walkability as an Indicator of Neighbourhood Resilience (breakout presentation), Journal of Transport & Health, 2017 – Elsevier
1. Hachem-Vermette, C., Singh, K., (2021), Role of solar energy in achieving net zero energy neighborhoods, ISES Conference, online.
2. Eduard Cubi and Caroline Hachem Assessment of energy options in a mixed use community in Calgary, NSERC SNEBRN Annual General Meeting, Saskatoon, 2015 May
3. Edvinas Bigalia, and Caroline Hachem, Modeling and analysis of two case studies in Saskatoon, NSERC SNEBRN Annual General meeting, Saskatoon, 2015 May
4. Hachem C., Athienitis, A., and Fazio, F., Design of Roof Morphology for Increased Solar Potential of BIPV/T Systems, ISES Conference, Kassel, Germany, August 2011.
5. Hachem C., Athienitis, A., and Fazio, F., Evaluation of Alternative Neighborhood Patterns for BIPV Potential and Energy Performance, CISBAT, Lauzanne, Switzerland, September 2011.
1. Identification of existing tools and workflows for solar neighborhood planning; Editors: Jouri Kanters, Martin Thebault; Authors: Nicholas Baker, Rafaella Belmonte Monteiro, Alessia Boccalatte, Karine Bouty, Johannes Brozovsky, Cyril Caliot, Rafael Campamà Pizarro, Raphaël Compagnon, Agnieszka Czachura, Gilles Desthieux, Matteo Formolli, Stéphanie Giroux-Julien, Victor Guillot, Benjamin Govehovitch, Caroline Hachem-Vermette, Ellis Herman, Olivia Alarcon Herrera, Jérôme H. Kämpf, Gabriele Lobaccaro, Christophe Ménézo, Marjorie Musy, Giuseppe Peronato, Arnkell Jonas Petersen, Auline Rodler, Kuljeet Singh , Viktor Sjöberg , Mark Snow, Joar Tjetland, and Yupeng Wang; SHC IEA Task 63 publications.
2. Hachem-Vermette, C. Energy resilient communities, Overview of resilience concepts, impact of disasters on energy infrastructure, and energy indicators, report submitted to Natural Resources Canda (Ottawa), March 2022.
3. Silvia Croce Caroline Hachem-Vermette, Matteo Formolli, Daniele Vettorato, Mark Snow, SHC IEA Task 63 report DB1: Surface Uses in Solar Neighborhoods, June 2022.
4. Caroline Hachem -Vermette, Kuljeet Singh , Olaf Brunn Jorgenson , Silvia Corce, Matteo Formolli, Rafael Compama Pizzaro and Gilles Desthieux, IEA Task 63 DA1: Incorporation of Solar Design Strategies in urban planning , Dec 2021.
5. Singh . K. and Hachem-Vermette , C. (2021). Renewable, alternative and conventional energy resource optimization for grid-tied mixed-use building cluster. ATCO.
6. Alireza, A. and Hachem-Vermette, C. (2021). Life Cycle Assessment of MGO Assemblies Compared with Conventional and High-Performance Building Envelope. 16. MgO Systems.
7. Hachem-Vermette, C. (2020). Towards low-carbon communities, in support of the LCCES project. 11. Natural resources Canada.
8. Hachem-Vermette, C. (2020). Review of current international collaboration initiatives within the International Energy Agency framework on solar neighbourhoods planning regarding its applicability to the LCCES project. 11. Natural resources Canada.
9. Hachem-Vermette, C. (2019). International review on rehabilitation and retrofitting of existing neighborhood towards low-carbon communities. 13. Natural resources Canada.
10. Hachem-Vermette, C, Robinston ,N. (2018). Advanced Building Envelope Design of Multistory Buildings. 53. Homeowner Protection Office (HPO), BC Housing.
11. Contribution Percentage: 71-80
12. Caroline Hachem and Chineyere Dara. (2017). Evaluation of the Impact of Building Envelope Design on Energy Performance of Container-Based Modular Housing Units. 54. Ladacor.
13. Caroline Hachem and Anders McGregor. (2016). Growing Center’s Optimized Building Envelope Design. Anethum.
14. Hachem-Vermette. (2015). Feasibility study of Net zero energy large scale neighborhood in Okotoks. 16. Natural Resources Canada.
Books and Chapters in books
1. Hachem-Vermette, Energy resilient neighborhoods, 2024 (in preparation, proposal accepted by Springer).
2. Hachem-Vermette, C. Solar Buildings and Neighborhoods: Design considerations for high energy performance, Springer, 2020.
3. Jun-Tae Kim, Jin-Hee Kim, Ahmed Hassan, Caroline Hachem, and Fred Edmond Boafo, 2016. Net-zero Energy Mass Customized Houses ZEMCH: Toward the Delivery of Zero Energy Mass Custom Homes-Chapter 9. , published by Springer.
4. Hachem, C. , Fazio P., Bartlett, K., 2010, Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds in Full Scale Stud Cavities (published MS thesis), LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, AG & CoKG.
5. Hachem, C. and Hanaor, A., "Folding Sleeves - Variations on a Theme of the Earthworm", 2009, in Motro R., Editor, Structural Morphology and Configuration Processing of Space Structures, Part B: Structural Morphology, Multi-Science, Brentwood, Essex, pp.115-138.
Miscellaneous Publications and Media Coverage
1. Tackling the complexity of urban-level energy simulation, solarthermalworld.org https://www.solarthermalworld.org/news/tackling-complexity-urban-level-energy-simulations
2. Researcher paints optimistic energy future for cities, https://ucalgary.ca/news/researcher-paints-optimistic-energy-future-cities? U-Today, June 25th 2021.
3. Deployment of photovoltaic in Alberta, Radio Canada-Alberta (in French), June 2020, https://myemail.constantcontact.com/News-Release---City-launches-environment-rebates-tohelp-stimulate-economy.html?soid=1127191170163&aid=ciiW3uDQdUs
4. Passive Solar Design, C. Hachem-Vermette, Folds (D-talks),
5. Illustrative Prospective of Solar Energy in Urban Planning
6. IEA SHC: Attractive Solar Solutions for Urban and Landscape Planning. September 2016, http://www.solarthermalworld.org/content/iea-shc-attractive-solar-solutions-urban-and-landscape-planning
7. State-of-the-Art of Education on Solar Energy in Urban Planning; Delmas, Aymeric ; Florio, Pietro ; Hachem-Vermette, Caroline ; Horvat, Miljana[...]; 2017; IEA Task 51
8. The communication process; Ehrbar, Doris ; Frontini, Francesco ; Gosztonyi, Susanne ; Hachem, Caroline[...] 2012; IEA Task 41– Solar Energy and Architecture
9. Product developments and dissemination activities, Lobaccaro, G ; Wall, M ; Munari Probst, M C ; Maturi, L, Snow, M., Gostonyi, S., Hachem, C., […] 2012, TASK 41 – Solar Energy and Architecture
10. Interview for industry news, http://www.crebnow.com/reaching-for-the-sun/, Calgary, 2016 December.
11. Utoday, https://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2016-04-22/design-symposium-congress-2016-explores-calgarys-architecture
12. ASHRAE funding research on building shape and density, by Jessica Krippendorf, Journal of Commerce July 4, 2011. http://www.joconl.com/article/id45095
13. A small but fiercely efficient chalet, Article in Montreal Gazette by Joanne Penhale, Special to THE GAZETTE 06.24.2014.
Theses and Dissertations
1. Investigation of Design Parameters for Increased Solar Potential of Dwellings and Neighborhoods, Dissertation for Doctor in Philosophy (ranked excellent), Department of Building, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2012.
2. Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds in Full Scale Stud Cavities, Identification and Transport Analysis, Dissertation for Master of Applied Science, Department of Building, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2008.
3. Biological Deployable Systems, Characterization and Architectural Application, Thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the MS degree in architecture, The Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, October 2004.
4. Le Nouvel Eldorado - Centre d'Evaluation des Arts - selon Dante, Memoire pour le Diplôme d’Etude Superieur en architecture (DES), University of Holy Spirit Kaslik, Lebanon, October 1999.