Dr Shauna Janssen
Assistant Professor, Theatre
Affiliate Assistant Professor, Geography, Planning and Environment
Concordia University Research Chair in Performative Urbanism, Fine Arts
Director, Institute for Urban Futures, Fine Arts
Concordia University Research Chair - Performative Urbanism (New Scholar, 2018-2023)
- PhD, Construction Engineering & Mgmt. UofT
- PhD, Structural Engineering, IUST
- MASc, Structural Engineering, IUST
- BASc, Civil Engineering, IUST
Primary Research Areas
Construction Engineering & Management
- Smart Infrastructure, Construction and Building
- Applications of Network Science in Design, Construction & Operation of the Built Environment
Social Network Analysis in Construction & Infrastructure Mgmt.
Decision Models in Construction Industry
Building Information Modeling Process Mining & Mgmt.
Asset Information Modeling for Buildings & Infrastructure Systems
Socio-technical Approaches in Construction & Mgmt. of the Built Environment
Semantic Computing & Computational Linguistics in Civil Informatics
Urban Informatics & Urban Computing for Resilience of Smart Cities
Research and teaching Interests
*NEW*In winter 2019 I will offer a brand new course "Big Data Analytics for Smart City Infrastructure" Where I'll cover the fundamentals of AI, Machine Learning and Data Mining for planning, design, and construction of urban infrastructure in smart cities.
BCEE 464 / BLDG 6851
In Fall semesters I offer "Project Cost Estimating" for both undergraduate and graduate students.
I usually offer "Building Economics" in both Fall and Winter semesters
- M. Nik-Bakht, M. Hosseini, T. E. El-diraby, “Game-Based Crowdsourcing to Support Collaborative Customization of the Definition of Sustainability”, Journal of Advanced Engineering Informatics, Elsevier, Vol. 38 (2018), 501-513
- M. Nik-Bakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Project Collective Mind: Unlocking Project Discussion Networks”, Journal of Automation in Construction, Elsevier, Vol. 84 (2017), 50-69
- S.Kinawy, M. Nik-Bakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Mismatches in Stakeholder Communication: The Case of the Leslie and Ferrand Transit Stations, Toronto, Canada”, Journal of Sustainable Cities and Society, Elsevier, Vol. 34 (2017) 239-249
- M. Nik-Bakht, T. E. El-diraby, “SUSTWEETABILITY: A Social Annotation Game for Exposing Public Community's Perspective on Sustainability of Urban Infrastructure”, International Journal of Human – Computing, Vol. 89 (2016) 54-72
M. Nikbakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Synthesis of Decision Making Research in Construction”, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 141(9) (2015)
M. Nikbakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Communities of Interest–Interest of Communities: Social & Semantic Analysis of Communities in Infrastructure Discussion Networks”, Wiley Computer-Aided Civil & Infrastructure Engineering 31(1) (2016) 34-49
M. Nikbakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Hidden social networks driving online public involvement in infrastructure construction: a case study of LRT projects in North America”, TRR, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol 2453/Planning 2014, (2015) 84-93
H. Osman and M. Nikbakht, “A Game Theoretic Model For Roadway Performance Management: A Socio-Technical Approach”, Built Environment Project and Asset Management, 4(1) (2014), 40-54 (2015 Outstanding paper award by the journal)
A. Kaveh and M. Nikbakht, “Analysis of space truss towers, using combined symmetry groups and product graphs”, ACTA Mechanica, 218(1) (2011) 133–160.
Kaveh A, Nikbakht M, Rahami H., “Improved group-theoretic method using graph products for the analysis of symmetric – regular structures”, ACTA Mechanica, 210(3) (2010) 265-289.
A. Kaveh, H. Rahami and M. Nikbakht, “Vibration analysis of regular structures by graph products: cable networks”, Computers and Structures, 88(9-10) (2010), 588–601.
Kaveh A, Nikbakht M, “Improved group-theoretical method for eigenvalue problems of special symmetric structures, using graph theory”, Advances in Engineering Software, 41(1) (2010) 22–31.
A. Kaveh and M. Nikbakht, "Stability analysis of hyper symmetric skeletal structures using group theory", ACTA Mechanica, 200(3) (2008) 177–197.
A. Kaveh and M. Nikbakht, “Decomposition of Symmetric Mass-Spring Vibrating Systems Using Groups, Graphs and Linear Algebra”, Journal of Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, 23(7) (2007) 639-664
A. Kaveh and M. Nikbakht, “Block Diagonalization of Laplacian Matrices of Symmetric Graphs via Group Theory”, Int. Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 69(5) (2007) 908-947
A. Kaveh and M. Nikbakht, “Buckling load of symmetric plane frames using canonical forms and group theory”, ACTA Mechanica, 185(1) (2006) 89-128.
M. Nikbakht, T.Eldiraby, “Towards bottom-up decision making and collaborative knowledge generation in urban infrastructure projects through online social media”, Chapter in “Transparency in social media – tools, methods, and algorithms for mediating online interactions” (2015) 145-164
M. Nikbakht, S.Kinawy, T.Eldiraby, “Construction Management Public Relations (Business Disruption & Neighborhood Impacts)”, Chapter in “SAGE Encyclopedia of Transportation” (2014)
- S. Kouhestani, M. Nik-Bakht, “Towards Level 3 BIMProcess Maps with IFC & XES Process Mining”, ECPPM2018 – European Conference on Product and Process Modelling,Copenhagen, Denmark, September 2018
- R. Eftekharirad, M.Nik-Bakht, A. Hammad, “Linking sensory data to BIM by extending IFC – casestudy of fire evacuation”, ECPPM2018 – European Conference on Product and Process Modelling,Copenhagen, Denmark, September 2018
- A. Azghandi-Roshvand, M. Nik-Bakht, S. H. Han, “Towards AutomatedAnalysis of Ambiguity in Modular Construction Contract Documents (a Qualitative& Quantitative Study)”, CIB-W78, 35thInternational Conference on Applications of IT in the AEC Industry, Chicago,Illinois, United States, October 2018
- R. Eftekharirad, M.Nik-Bakht, A. Hammad, “ExtendingIFC for Fire Emergency Real-Time Management Using Sensors and OccupantInformation”, ISARC 2018 (International Symposium on Automation andRobotics in Construction), Berlin, Germany, July 2018
- A. Hosny, M. Nik-Bakht, O. Moselhi, “Chaos &Complexity in Modeling Spatial Temporal Clashes for Construction Processes”,ASCE CRC 2018 (Construction Research Congress (CRC), New Orleans, LA, USA, Apr 2018
- O. Beltrán, M. Nik-Bakht, “Can “EDGE” bethe Solution to Sustainability of Buildings in Colombian Market?”, ASCECRC 2018 (Construction Research Congress (CRC), New Orleans, LA, USA, Apr 2018
- S. Tarika, M. Nik-Bakht, “Analysis ofBIoT-based Energy Business in the City of Montréal – Lessons Learned for BroaderMarkets”, ASCE CRC 2018 (Construction Research Congress (CRC), NewOrleans, LA, USA, Apr 2018
- A. Hosny, M. Nik-Bakht, O.Moselhi, “Towards agent-based modeling for operational clash detection inconstruction operations”, 6thCSCE/ASCE/CRC InternationalConstruction Specialty Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, June 2017
- M. Hosseini, M. Nik-Bakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Social Sentiment forSustainability of Infrastructure Mega-projects”, CIB-W78, 33rdInternational Conference on Applications of IT in the AEC Industry, Brisbane, Australia, November 2016 (Accepted Sep. 2016).
- Tulio Sulbaran, M. Nik-Bakht, “Construction Decision Making Inventory (CDMI) – Assessment Framework for Validity and Reliability”, CIB-W78, 33rd International Conference on Applications of IT in the AEC Industry, Brisbane, Australia, November 2016 (Accepted Sep. 2016).
- M. Nikbakht, M. Hosseini, T. E. El-diraby, “Infrastructure Sustainability-Related Topic Classification in Social Media”, CIB paper 16, CIB W78, 32nd International Conference on Applications of IT in the AEC Industry, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, October 2015.
- M. Nikbakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Topic Modeling for Infrastructure-Related Discussions in Online Social Media”, Con-344. ICSC15, the 5th International/11th Construction Specialty CSCE Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (June 8 to 10, 2015).
- M. Nikbakht, Sh. Kinawy, T. E. El-diraby, “News and social media as performance indicators for public involvement in transportation planning - the Eglinton Crosstown project in Toronto”, TRB (Transportation Research Board) 94th Annual Meeting, Jan 2015, Washington DC.
- M. Nikbakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Ordinary People-Extraordinary Projects! From big data to knowledge in stakeholder management for construction of mega-projects”, 10th European Conference on Products and Process Modeling in the Building and Construction Industry, Vienna, Austria, September 2014.
- M. Nikbakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Infrastructure Discussion Networks: Analyzing Social Media Debates of LRT Projects in North American Cities”, TRB (Transportation Research Board) 93rd Annual Meeting, Washington DC, January 2014
- M. Nikbakht, T. E. El-diraby, “What Does Social Media Say About the Infrastructure Construction?”, paper 16, CIB W78, 30th International Conference on Applications of IT in the AEC Industry, Beijing, China, October 2013.
- M. Nikbakht, T. E. El-diraby, “Analyzing Infrastructure Discussion Networks: Order of Influence in Chaos of Followers”, Con-85. Proceedings of CSCE annual conference, Montreal, Canada, May 2013.
- A. Kaveh and M. Nikbakht, “Interrelation of Group and Graph Products in Configuration Processing of Symmetric Structures”, Paper 166 from CCP:88, ISBN 978-1-905088-23-2, The Ninth International Conference on Computational Structures Technology, Athens, Greece, 2-5 September 2008.
- A. Kaveh and M. Nikbakht, “Symmetric Finite Elements Formulation Using Linear Algebra and Canonical Forms: Truss and Beam Elements”, Paper 130 fromCCP:86, ISBN 978-1-905088-17-1, Eleventh International Conference on Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering Computing, Malta, September 2007.
- A. Kaveh and M. Nikbakht, “Improved Group-Theoretical Methods for Eigenvalue Problems of Special Symmetric Structures, Using Graph Theory”, Paper 288 from CCP:83, ISBN 1-905088-08-6, The 8th International Conference on Computational Structures Technology, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, Sep, 2006.