Zhenhua Zhu, PhD
Associate Professor, Building, Civil, and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Zhenhua Zhu is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Building, Civil, and Environmental Engineering at Concordia University. He holds a B.Eng. in Civil Engineering, an M.Eng. in Computer Science and Technology both from Zhejiang University, China, and a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology, USA. He has been working as a researcher and software engineer in the areas of computer aided design, virtual reality, remote sensing, and construction information technology since 2002. The objective of his research is to promote automation in the Architecture, Engineering, Construction, and Facilities Management (AEC/FM) industry. His work has been recognized with numerous honors and awards, including the Best Paper Award at the 2009 Construction Research Congress (CRC).
Dr. Zhu has been actively involved in several academic and professional organizations. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the International Association for Automation and Robotics in Construction (IAARC). He has also served in the organization committee for the 30th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, and as a reviewer for the Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, the Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, and the Journal of Automation in Construction.
- Building Information Modeling with Data Sensing and Analysis
- Transmission Pipelines Inspection and Condition Assessment
- Project Constructability and Productivity Analysis
- BLDG 478 – Project Management for Construction
- BLDG 657 - Project Management
Selected refereed journal papers
- Zhu, Z., German, S. and Brilakis, I. (2011) "Visual Retrieval of Concrete Crack Properties for Automated Post-earthquake Structural Safety Evaluation", Journal of Automation in Construction, Elsevier, 20(7): 874 – 883
- Zhu, Z., German, S. and Brilakis, I. (2010) "Detection of Large-Scale Concrete Columns for Automated Bridge Inspection", Journal of Automation in Construction, Elsevier, 19(8): 1047 – 1055
- Zhu, Z. and Brilakis, I. (2010). “Concrete Column Recognition in Images and Videos.” Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, 24(6): 478 – 487.
- Zhu, Z. and Brilakis, I. (2010). “Parameter Optimization for Automated Concrete Detection in Image Data.” Journal of Automation in Construction, Elsevier, 19(7): 944 – 953.
- Zhu, Z. and Brilakis, I. (2010). “Machine Vision-Based Concrete Surface Quality Assessment.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, American Society of Civil Engineers, 136(2): 210-218.
- Zhu, Z. and Brilakis, I. (2009). “Comparison of Civil Infrastructure Optical Sensor-Based Spatial Data Collection Techniques for Civil Infrastructure Modeling.” Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, 23(3): 170 – 177.
- Zhu, Z. and Brilakis, I. (2008). “Surface Defects Detection for Architectural Concrete Quality Assessment using Visual Sensing.” Journal of Information Technology in Construction, 13: 86 – 102.