Catherine Russell, PhD
Distinguished Professor, Film Studies, Cinema
PhD (New York University)
Areas of expertise
Film theory and criticism, Japanese cinema, experimental cinema, ethnographic film, women and film, cultural studies, American cinema, melodrama, Walter Benjamin.
Film History II !945 to 1980 (BFA program)
Cinema and the City
Experimental Ethnography (Concordia MFAprogramme)
Methods in Film Studies (MA programme)
Walter Benjamin (PhD in Humanities)
Walter Benjamin (PhD in Film and MovingImage Studies)
Archiveology (PhD in Film and Moving ImageStudies)
American Cinema of the 1950s
Barbara Stanwyck: Gender and Genre in Hollywood (PhD)
Archival Film Practices (MFA and MA)
“Filmsabout Ordinary People: The Japanese Home Drama and Ethnographic Film Criticism,”in Beyond Text, Edited by: RupertCox, Andrew Irving and Christopher Wright, Manchester University Press, 2016.
“Paris 1900: Archiveology and theCompilation Film,” in New Silent Film,Paul Flaig and Katherine Groo eds. Routledge, 2015.“Leviathan and the Discourse of Sensory Ethnography: Spleen et idéal” Visual Anthropology Review 31:1 Spring 2015: 27-34.
“Cinema as Timepiece: Critical Perspectives on The Clock,” Framework 54.2 Fall 2013.
“Archival Cinephilia in The Clock,” Framework 54.2 (Fall 2013).
“The Barbara Stanwyck Show: Melodrama, Kitsch and the Media Archive,” Criticism: A Quarterly for Literature and the Arts, 55 no. 4 (Fall 2013).
“Women in Cities: Comparative Modernities and Cinematic Space in the 1930s,” Transcultural Montage, Berghahn Books, eds. Christian Suhr and Rane Willerslev, 2013, 163-183.
Work in progress
- Archiveology: Walter Benjamin and Archival Film Practices (Durham: Duke University Press, 2018)
- Classical Japanese Cinema Revisited (New York: Continuum, 2011)
- The Cinema of Naruse Mikio: Women and Japanese Modernity (Duke University Press, 2008) Translated into Chinese by Fudan University Press.
- Experimental Ethnography: The Work of Film in the Age of Video (Durham NC: Duke University Press, 1999)
- Narrative Mortality: Death, Closure and New Wave Cinemas (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1985)