l Giuliana Cucinelli
Associate Professor, Education
Dr. Giuliana Cucinelli is an Associate Professor in the Educational Technology Program in the Department of Education at Concordia University, and the co-director of the Participatory Media cluster for Concordia University's Milieux Institute for Arts, Culture and Technology. Cucinelli's research-creation program focuses on the social, cultural and educational impacts of technology.
Currently she is a principal investigator on a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Development Grant and a Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC), Établissement de nouveaux professeurs grant which examines digital device practices and policy in K-12 schools in Quebec and Ontario. She is also a PI on a Concordia funded research-creation project Virtual Reality and Empathy Education: Understanding Cultural, Gender and Ethnic Difference in the Workplace.
Furthermore, she is a co-applicant on ACT: Ageing, Communication, Technologies, a multi-methodological research project that brings together researchers and institutional and community partners to address the transformation of the experiences of ageing with the proliferation of new forms of mediated communications in networked societies. The project is funded by a SSHRC Partnership Grant, with Dr. Kim Sawchuk as Director and Principal Investigator.
Before joining Concordia, Cucinelli was a FRQSC Postdoctoral Research Associate for the Comparative Media Studies Program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge), with research affiliations to their Open Documentary Lab, the Center for Civic Media, and the Youth and Media Project in the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University, and a Postdoctoral Research Affiliate for the Mobilities Lab in the Department of Communication Studies at Concordia University.
- Postdoc, Comparative Media Studies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2013-14)
- Postdoc, Mobile Media Lab, Concordia University (2011-13)
- Ph.D., Curriculum and Instruction, Integrated Studies in Education, McGill University (2007-2010)
- BA, Communication Studies (Specialization)/Education (Minor), Concordia University (1999-2003)
- Educational Gaming and Modelling (ETEC 537/637) (Educational Technology, Concordia University, Fall 2017)
- Introduction to Digital Media in Education (ETEC 565/665) (Educational Technology, Concordia University) Fall 2014/2015/2016
- Social Technology and the Sociocultural Aspects of Learning (ETEC 560/660) (Educational Technology, Concordia University) Fall 2014/2015/2016
- Learning Theories (ETEC 513/613) (Educational Technology, Concordia University) Winter 2015/2016/2017
- Designing and Developing Interactive Instruction (ETEC 569/669) (Educational Technology, Concordia University) Winter 2015/2016/2017
Representative Research-Creation Projects
- AddressKnown/AdresseConnue: Interactive and Inter-generational documentary about local community activism in Montreal’s Parc Extension neighbourhood.
Director, January 2012 to present
- Our Privacy Matters! Youth, Teachers, Digital Media Sociability, and Privacy: Educational interactive website with video capsules, remixing tools, and educational resources for teachers. Director, April 2013 to present
- Seeing Through Paulo’s Glasses: Political Clarity, Courage and Humility: Documentary on the life and work of Paulo Freire. Co-Director and Co-Producers, April 2012
- Youth Digital Media Ecologies in Canada: Information design, mapping, and data visualization website of youth media ecologies across Canada. Researcher, May 2011 to December 2014
- Cucinelli, G. (2015, March). Global Knowledge Through Media and Art Engagement. Accepted at the annual meeting of South by Southwest Education Conference and Festival (SXSWedu). Austin, TX.
- Cucinelli, G. (2014, October). MAKE: Media, Art, Media, Engaged. Understanding Media Now: Navigating Surveillance, Social Media and Marketing. Association for Media Literacy. Toronto, ON.
- Cucinelli, G. (2014, March). Learning with Digital and Participatory Maps. Presented at the annual meeting of South by Southwest Education Conference and Festival (SXSWedu). Austin, TX.
- Cucinelli, G., Smith, K., & Shade, L. (2013, November). Privacy and social media: Critical digital pedagogy for youth and teacher education. Presented at the annual meeting of the Union for Democratic Communications Conference. San Francisco, CA.
- Cucinelli, G. (2013, November). Hybridity and interactivity in digital media pedagogy. Presented at the annual meeting of the International Digital Media and Arts Association Conference. Laguna Beach, CA.
- Cucinelli, G. (2013, October). Teacher education, digital/social media, and media design for a critical and participatory classroom. Presented at the annual meeting of the International Institute for Critical Pedagogy and Transformative Leadership Conference. Valletta, Malta.
- (2014-2016). Sawchuk, K., & Lamberti, E. (P.I.). Performigrations: People Are the Territory. Culture Programme of the European Union.
- 2014-2021) Sawchuck, Kim (P.I.). Ageing, Communication, Technologies (ACT): Experiencing a Digital World in Later Life. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), Partnership Grant.
- Cucinelli, G., Grenier, L., & Sawchuk, K. (co-Ed.) (2013). Mobile media. WI: Journal of Mobile Media. 6(3).
- Cucinelli, G., & Pickup, D. (2008). The Don of hockey: Making comments and offers we can’t refuse. Taboo: The Journal of Culture and Education. 12(3), 33-42.
- Cucinelli, G., & Hoechsmann, M. (2007). My name is Borat: Narcissism in the age of viral communication. Taboo: The Journal of Culture and Education. 7(1), 91-101.
- Cucinelli, G. (2013). Joe Kincheloe and critical action research. In D. Coghlan & M. Bryon-Miller (Eds.), Encyclopedia of action research. New York, NY: Sage Publications.
- Cucinelli, G. (2011). Remixed and mashed: Understanding the remix and digital mashup culture. In M. Hoechsmann & S. Poyntz (Eds.), Media literacy: A critical introduction (pp.123-140). Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
- Cucinelli, G. (2009). Mobiles and digital outlets: Hand held obsessions. In M. Kehler, S. Steinberg, & L. Cornish (Eds.),Encyclopedia of boy culture (pp. 425-430). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Cucinelli, G. (2007). Croc this! Articulating young feminine identity through Lacoste. In D. Macedo & S. Steinberg (Eds.), Media literacy: a reader (pp.514-521). New York, NY: Peter Lang Publications.
- Cucinelli, G. (2007). Sk8R gurl: Mobile technology and young girls. In C. Mitchell & J. Reid-Walsh (Eds.), Girl culture: An encyclopedia (pp.537-538). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Cucinelli, G. (2007). Pretty pink technology and the RAZR. In C. Mitchell & J. Reid-Walsh (Eds.), Girl culture: An encyclopedia(pp.221-223). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Cucinelli, G. (2014). [Review of the book Out of the Basement: Youth Cultural Production in Practice and in Policy, by M. Campell]. Canadian Journal of Communication
- Cucinelli, G. (forthcoming). Digital Youth Praxis. New York, NY: Peter Lang Publications
- AOIR — Association of Internet Researchers (2013 to present)
- UDC — Union for Democratic Communications (2013 to present)
- CCLA — Canadian Civil Liberties Association (2013 to present)
- Pan-American Mobilities Network and the Cosmobilities Network (2012 to present)
- Hexagram, Centre for Research-Creation in Media Arts (2011 to present)
- CSSE — Canadian Society for the Study of Education (2010 to present)
- CCA — Canadian Communication Association (2009 to present)
- AERA — American Educational Research Association (2007 to present)