Gene Gibbons, PhD
Associate Professor, Theatre
On sabbatical 2013-2014
- PhD Theory and Policy Studies, University of Toronto, in progress
- MFA Scenography, Purdue University (West Lafayette, Indiana), 1985
- Scenography Internship, Dalhousie University (Halifax, Nova Scotia) 1979
- MA Drama, West Virginia University (Morgantown, W.Va.), 1978
- BFA Production Design, Ohio University (Athens, Ohio), 1976
- MBA coursework in Non Profit Administration, Concordia University (Montreal), 1994-96
Professional theatre experience
Gene became legally permitted to design in Canada in 1986. After this point, and before he became a full-time administrator, Gene worked on approximately four professional productions per year in Toronto, Montrealand Atlantic Canada.
- Chair, Department of Theatre, 2002-05
- Associate Dean, Faculty of Fine Arts, Appraisals, Planning & Resource Management, 1996-98.
- Associate Dean, Faculty Fine Arts, Physical Resources & Development, 1994-96.
ADC Associated Designers of Canada: (equivalent to the United Scenic Artists)
CASE (Council for Advancement and Support of Education)
USITT (United States Institute for Theatre Technology)
Canadian Committee for Public Education (founding member)
Other funded research
F.R.D.P. Gender Pay Equity, Under the Professional Association Of Canadian Theatres (PACT) - Associated Designers of Canada (ADC) Collective Agreement, 1991 - present.
C.A.S.A. "Book of Dreams," by Barbara Lewis and Nick Regish, Digital Recording and Compact Disc. 1992 - 93, grant writer and Executive Producer.
British Council Travel Grant: Arts Administration - "Public Policy and Funding for the Arts in England," Meetings with the Arts Councils of England, London, York - Humberside, Leicester County and the Association of Regional Arts Boards. Included in the project were the Policy Studies Institute and London Institute for the Fine Arts. Summer 1994
Recent scholar papers
As part of his PhD program, Gene has written the following academic papers:
Developing Policy for "At-risk" Student in Appalachia within the Ohio Board of Regents Success Challenge Program: A constituency analysis, December 2002 (forecasted).
Conflicts of Vision: Functions of the University, Organizational Development and Change, May 2002.
Rural University Responses to the Ohio Board of Regents, Success Challenge Program: An analysis of social capital equity and congruency, September 2001.
The Effects of ABC and RCB Funding Models on University Policy Making: An Analysis of the Policy Winners and Losers, May 2001.
The Changing Definition of Diversity in Post-secondary Education "C, January 2001.
The Millennium Edition of the Carnegie Classification For Higher Education as a Policy Instrument and the Underlying Policies of the Carnegie Foundation, August 2000.
Building the American Research Infrastructure, Thirty years of the Carnegie Classification of Higher Education and its Effect on Women Researchers, June 2000
- Evaluating Collaborative Scholarly Activity in Professional Theatrical Design, Organizer and Chair, USITT National Conference, Spring 2003.
- Teaching Differently Abled Students in the Design Studio, Panelist, USITT National Conference, Spring 2003.
- MFA as a Preparation for Higher Education Administration, Panelist, USITT National Conference, Spring 2003.