S. Samuel Li, PhD
Professor, Building, Civil, and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Li joined the Department of Building, Civil and Environmental Engineering as an Assistant Professor in 2007, and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2010 and to Professor in 2017. He has a Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering (the Norwegian Institute of Technology) for research on modelling density-stratified flow. Prior to joining the department, he was an Instructor at the University of British Columbia, where his primary area of teaching and research was Hydrotechnical Engineering, in particular river hydraulics, sediment transport, density-stratified flow and water-ice interaction. His previous work included six years of post Ph.D. industrial experience (Seaconsult in British Columbia and Oceanor in Norway) in environmental hydraulics models, river and coastal simulations, water quality assessments and turbulent mixing theories. Dr. Li is a licensed Professional Engineer (British Columbia), a member of the American Geophysical Union, and a member of the International Association of Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research.
- Water resources engineering
- Sediment transport in gravel-bed rivers and river erosion
- Computational methods in river hydraulics and density-stratified flow
- Pollutant transport and turbulent mixing in shallow waters
- Water-ice interaction
- Coastal hydraulics
- ENGR6241: Hydrodynamics
- ENGR 6281: Modeling Turbulent Flows
- CIVI 484 / CIVI 6331: Hydraulic Engineering
- CIVI 483 / CIVI 6301: Hydrology
- CIVI 381: Hydraulics
- ENGR 233: Applied Advanced Calculus
2002 - 2006: Lecturer, the University of British Columbia; graduate courses offered: Computational Fluvial Hydraulics, Turbulent Fluid Dynamics and Numerical Methods in Computational Hydraulics; undergraduate courses offered: Applications of Engineering Design, Introduction to Electrical and Computer Engineering, Introduction to Physical and Chemical Oceanography and Coastal Engineering.
Referred journal publications
(Authors whose names are underlined are my current or former graduate students)
1. Ramamurthy, A.S., Thapa, D.R. & Li, S.S. (2017) "Experimental study of flow past a warped transition." Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering - ASCE 143(8): 04017022. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0001200
2. Huard, M.O. & Li, S.S. (2016) "Air pressure drop in a penstock during the course of intake-gate closure." Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 43(11): 998-1006. DOI: 10.1139/cjce-2016-0321.
3. Eslamian, S. A., Li, S.S. & Haghighat, F. (2016) "A new multiple regression model for predictions of urban water use." Sustainable Cities and Society - Elsevier 27: 419-429. DOI: 10.1016/j.scs.2016.08.003
4. Pournazeri, S., Li, S.S. & Haghighat, F. (2016) “An efficient multi-layer model for pier scour computations.” Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Water Management 169(4): 168-179. DOI: 10.1680/wama.13.00056
5. Najmeddin, S. & Li, S.S. (2016) "Numerical study of reducing flow separation zone in short open-channel expansions by using a hump." Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering–ASCE 142(7), 06016006. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0001034
6. Najafi-Nejad-Nasser, A. & Li, S.S. (2016) "Closure to reduction of flow separation and energy head losses in expansions using a hump.” Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering–ASCE 142(1), 07015033. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0000944
7. Najafi-Nejad-Nasser, A. & Li, S.S. (2015) “Reduction of flow separation and energy head losses in expansions using a hump.” Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering–ASCE 141(3), 04014057. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0000803
8. Attar, S. & Li, S.S. (2015) "A simplified approach to computing flow and bedload along gravel dune-like bedforms." Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 42(6): 367-376. DOI: 10.1139/cjce-2014-0255
9. Pournazeri, S., Li, S.S. & Haghighat, F. (2014) “A bridge-pier scour model with non-uniform sediments.” Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Water Management 167(9): 499–511. DOI:10.1680/wama.13.00094
10. Li, S.S., Neill, C. & Andres, D. (2014) “Discussion: Estimates of the Manning's coefficient for ice-covered rivers.” Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Water Management 167(7): 430–431. DOI:10.1680/wama.13.00098
11. Pournazeri, S., Li, S.S. & Haghighat, F. (2014)“Efficient non-hydrostatic modelling of flow and bed shear stress in a pier scour hole.” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 41(5): 450–460. DOI: 10.1139/cjce-2013-0160
12. Attar, S. & Li, S.S. (2013) “Momentum, energy and drag coefficients for ice-covered rivers.” River Research and Applications 29(10): 1267–1276. DOI: 10.1002/rra.2611
13. Calder, R.S.D., Yerushalmi, L. & Li, S.S. (2013) “Computational fluid dynamics model of a BioCAST multi-environment Air-lift bioreactor.” Journal of Environmental Engineering–ASCE 139(6): 849–863. DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0000678
14. Lu, H., Li, S.S. & Guo, J. (2013) “Modeling monthly fluctuations in submersion area of a dammed river reservoir: a case study.” Journal of the American Water Resources Association 49(1): 90–102. DOI: 10.1111/jawr.12003
15. Liu, S. & Li, S.S. (2013)“Particle-tracking model of outfall plumes in a tidal channel.” Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Water Management 166(4): 175–186. DOI: 10.1680/wama.11.00067
16. Li, S.S. (2012) “Estimates of the Manning's coefficient for ice-covered rivers.” Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Water Management 165(WM9):495-505. DOI: 10.1680/wama.11.00017
17. Attar, S. & Li, S.S. (2012) “Data-fitted velocity profiles for ice-covered rivers.” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 39(3): 334-338. DOI: 10.1139/L2012-001
18. Li, S.S. & Millar, R.G. (2011) “A two-dimensional morphodynamic model of gravel-bed river with floodplain vegetation.” Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 36(2): 190–202. DOI: 10.1002/esp.2033
19. Jalili, A. & Li, S.S. (2010) “Two-layer hydraulic exchange flow through the Burlington Ship Canal.” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 37(12): 1631-1640. DOI: 10.1139/L10-105
20. Li, S.S. & Hodgins, D.O. (2010)“Modelling wastewater effluent mixing and dispersion in a tidal channel.” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 37(1): 99-111. DOI: 10.1139/L09-128
21. Li, S.S. & Lawrence, G.A. (2009)“Unsteady two-layer hydraulic exchange flows with friction.” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 633(August): 99-114. DOI: 10.1017/S0022112009007459
22. Li, S.S, Millar, R.G. & Islam,S. (2008) “Modelling gravel transport and morphology for the Lower Fraser River, British Columbia.” Geomorphology 95(3-4): 206-222. DOI: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2007.06.010
23. Li, S.S. & Ingram, R.G. (2007) “Isopycnal deepening of an under-ice river plume in coastal waters: field observations and modeling.” Journal of Geophysical Research 112(C7). DOI: 10.1029/2006JC003883
24. Li, S.S. & Millar, R.G. (2007) “Simulating bedload transport in a complex gravel-bed river.” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering–ASCE 133(3): 323-328. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2007)133:3(323)
25. Li, S. & Hodgins, D.O. (2004) “A dynamically coupled outfall plume-circulation model for effluent dispersion in Burrard Inlet, British Columbia.” Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science 3(5): 433-449. DOI: 10.1139/s04-039
26. Li, S. & McClimans, T.A. (2000) “On the stability of barotropic prograde and retrograde jets along a bottom slope.” Journal of Geophysical Research 105(C4): 8847-8855. DOI: 10.1029/1999JC000006
27. Li, S. & McClimans, T.A. (1998) “The effects of winds over a barotropic retrograde slope current.” Continental Shelf Research 18(5): 457–485. DOI: 10.1016/S0278-4343(97)00077-0
Mulligan, C.N. & Li, S.S. (2012) “Contaminated Sediments: 5th Volume, Restoration of Aquatic Environment”, Selected Technical Papers STP 1554 (Editors), ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, http://www.astm.org/BOOKSTORE/PUBS/STP1554.htm
Li, S.S. (2002) "Book review: Computational fluid dynamics." Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 29(6): 919-920. DOI: 10.1139/l02-090
- Lawrence, G.A., Pieters, R., Laval, B. & Li, S. (2006) “Hydrothermal characteristics of the Nechako Reservoir.” Dept. of Civil Engineering and Dept. of Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of British Columbia.
- Li, S. & Hodgins, D.O. (2001) “C3 three-dimensional hydrodynamic and ecology model, Part I: Theory.” Rep., Seaconsult, Vancouver, BC, prepared for PEMSEA, Quezon City 1165, Manila, Philippines.
- Hodgins, D.O. & Li, S. (2001) “Dilution estimates for combined sewer overflow outfalls within Greater Vancouver.” Seaconsult, Vancouver, B.C., prepared for Greater Vancouver Regional District, Burnaby, British Columbia
- Hodgins, D.O. & Li, S. (1999) “Ucluelet outfall effluent plume delineation study.” Rep. 304, Seaconsult, Vancouver, BC, prepared for District of Ucluelet, Ucluelet, British Columbia
- Hodgins, D.O., Hodgins, S.L.M. & Li, S. (1999) “Potential impacts of the Five Fingers Island outfall on receiving water and sediment quality.” Rep. 303, Seaconsult, Vancouver, BC, prepared for Regional District of Nanaimo, Lantzville, British Columbia
- Hodgins, D.O. & Li, S. (1999) “Assessment of Buck Lake Wastewater Treatment Plant outfall.” Rep. 301, Seaconsult, Vancouver, B.C., prepared for Capital Regional District, Engineering Dept., Victoria, British Columbia.
- Hodgins, D.O. & Li, S. (1999) “Effluent discharge assessment for the Riverport Business Park outfall.” Rep. 299, Seaconsult, Vancouver, BC, prepared for Riverport Business Park Inc., North Vancouver, British Columbia
- Hodgins, D.O. & Li, S. (1999) “Assessment of wastewater receiving water quality associated with treatment options for the Clover and Macaulay Point outfalls.” Rep. 296, Seaconsult, Vancouver, B.C., prepared for Capital Regional District, Engineering Dept., Victoria, British Columbia.
- Zhang, Z., & Li, S.S. (2017) "Large eddy simulation of rough surface turbulent flow in open channel." 25th Annual CFDSC Conference, Windsor, ON, Canada, 18 - 20 June 2017.
- Thapa, D.R., & Li, S.S. (2017) "An experimental investigation of reducing flow energy losses in irrigation channel diversions." 2017 National Conference - Canadian Water Resources Association, Lethbridge, AB, Canada, 5 - 7 June 2017.
- Harada, S., Li, S.S., & Lapointe, M. (2017) "Optical remote sensing technique for the generation of meandering river channel topography and sediment grain size." 23rd Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 31 May - 3 June 2017.
- Harada, S., & Li, S.S. (2016) "Numerical simulation of turbulence and air entrainment in a hydraulic jump." Computational Methods in Water Resources 2016, Toronto, ON, Canada, 20-24 June 2016 (Poster).
- Zeng, R., & Li, S.S. (2016) "Large eddy simulation of boundary shear-stress distributions in rectangular and trapezoidal channels." 2016 CSCE Annual General Conference, London, ON, Canada, 1–4 June 2016.
- Thapa, D.R., Li, S.S., & Ramamurthy, A.S. (2016) "LDA measurements of flow velocity in warped channel expansions." 2016 CSCE Annual General Conference, London, ON, Canada, 1–4 June 2016.
- Najmeddin, S., & Li, S.S. (2015) "Numerical simulation of 3d turbulent flow in open-channel expansions." 36th IAHR World Congress, the Hague, the Netherlands, 28 June-3 July 2015.
- Huard, M.O., Li, S.S. & Bosse, Y. (2015) "Air-pressure drop in a penstock in emergency closure of intake gates." 36th IAHR World Congress, the Hague, the Netherlands, 28 June-3 July 2015.
- Najafi-Nejad-Nasser, A., Li, S.S. & Mulligan, C.N. (2015) "Application of CFD modelling to the restoration of eutrophic lakes." 23rd Annual Conference of the CFD Society of Canada, Waterloo, Canada, 7-10 June 2015.
- Hasan, M.S., Li, S.S., Nokken, M.R. & Zsaki, A.M. (2015) "Abrasion of concrete hydraulic structures surfaces by water-borne sand." CSCE 22nd Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference, Montreal, Canada, 29 April–2 May 2015.
- Najafi-Nejad-Nasser, A., Li, S.S. & Mulligan, C.N. (2014) “Mathematical modelling of aeration for restoration of eutrophic lakes.” CSCE 2014 13th International Environmental Specialty Conference, Halifax, Canada, 28–31 May 2014.
- Li, S.S. (2013) “Some characteristics of peak flow in the Richelieu River, Quebec.” The 2nd International Conference on Civil, Architectural and Hydraulic Engineering, Zhuhai, China, 27-28 July 2013.
- Sakib, M.N., Li, S.S. & Zsaki, A.M. (2013) “CFD modelling of 3-D turbulent flow around a circular bridge pier.” 2013 CSCE Annual General Conference, Montreal, Canada, 29 May–1 June 2013.
- Pournazeri, S., Li, S.S. & Haghighat, F. (2012) “Numerical predictions of three-dimensional velocity field and bed shear stress around bridge piers.” Tenth International Conference on Hydroscience & Engineering, Orlando, Florida, U.S.A., 4–7 November, 2012.
- Attar, S. & Li, S.S. (2012) “Numerical investigation of flow structure and shear stress over fixed dunes.” International Conference on Fluvial Hydraulics River Flow 2012, San José, Costa Rica, 5–7 September 2012.
- Li, S.S. (2012) “Flow velocity distributions in ice-covered rivers.” 21st IAHR International Symposium on Ice. Dalian, China, 11–15 June 2012.
- Najafi-Nejad-Nasser, A. & Li, S.S. (2012) “An experimental investigation of minimising energy-head losses in expansions by using a hump.” 2012 CSCE Annual General Conference, Edmonton, Canada, 6–9 June 2012.
- Pournazeri, S., Li, S.S. & Haghighat, F. (2012) “Modeling three-dimensional turbulent river flow around bridge piers.” 2012 CSCE Annual General Conference, Edmonton, Canada, 6–9 June 2012.
- Hoque, A. & Li, S.S. (2011) “Determining resistance coefficients for ice-covered rivers from observed velocity profiles”. 34th IAHR World Congress, Brisbane, Australia, 26 June–1 July 2011.
- Liu, S. & Li, S.S. (2011) “Lagrangian simulation of sewage effluent dispersion in a density-stratified tidal channel”. 34th IAHR World Congress, Brisbane, Australia, 26 June–1 July 2011.
- Li, S.S. (2011) “Field estimates of hydraulic resistance of ice-covered rivers”. International Conference on Civil Engineering, Architecture and Building Materials, Haikou, China, 18– 20 June 2011.
- Attar, S. & Li, S.S. (2011) “Two-layer velocity profiles for ice-covered rivers: A case study”. 20th Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference, Ottawa, Canada, 14–17 June 2011.
- Owrangi, M.A. & Li, S.S. (2011) “Characteristics of the vegetation cover for the St. Francois watershed in Southern Quebec from remote sensing data”. 2011 CSCE Annual General Meeting & Conference, Ottawa, Canada, 14–17 June 2011.
- Jalili, A. & Li, S.S. (2010) “Unsteady two-layer hydraulic exchange flow modelling for the Burlington Ship Canal.” Proc. the 2010 Annual General Conference of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 9–12, 2010.
- Lu, H.R. & Li, S.S. (2009) “Estimation of the fluctuating water surface area of the Three Gorges Reservoir in China.” Proc. the 2009 Annual and Specialty Conferences of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, St. John’s, NL, May 27–30, 2009.
- Li, S.S. & Hodgins, D.O. (2008) “Field and numerical investigation of the fate and effects of wastewater discharges into coastal waters.” Proc. International Conference on Waste Engineering and Management, Hong Kong, May 28–30, 2008.
- Li, S. & Lawrence, G. (2006) “The Hydraulics of Unsteady Exchange Flow with Friction.” Proc. the Sixth International Symposium on Stratified Flows, Perth, Australia, Dec. 11– 14, 2006.
- Li, S.S. & Millar, R.G. (2006) “Morphological modelling of gravel rivers with vegetated banks and floodlain.” Proc. Canadian Water Resources Association, B.C. Branch Conference, Vancouver, B.C., Oct. 25–27, 2006.
- Li, S.S. & Ingram, R.G. (2006) “Hydraulic analysis of an under-ice river plume in coastal waters.” The Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society 2006 Congress, Toronto, May 29–June 1, 2006.
- Li, S. & Lawrence, G.A. (2005) “Two-layer hydraulic exchange flow with friction and barotropic forcing.” Proc. the 17th Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference, Edmonton, 16–19 August 2005, 733-742.
- Li, S. & Millar, R.G. (2004) “A computational distributed sediment budget for the Lower Fraser River, British Columbia.” Proc. the 2nd International Conference on Fluvial Hydraulics, Naples, 23–25 June 2004, 787-791.
- Li, S. & Mathisen, J.P. (1996) “Numerical simulations of a slope current in the Barents Sea.” JONSMOD’96, Olso. 12–15 August 1996.
- Li, S., Nilsen, J. & McClimans, T.A. (1994) “Laboratory and numerical study of a warm core jet in the Barents Sea.” European Geophysical Society XIX General Assembly, Grenoble. 25–29 April 1994.