Safe exchange zone
Campus Safety and Prevention Services has designated safe exchange zones on each campus, where the Concordia community can safely trade goods under the watchful eye of security.
How do I use a safe exchange zone?
Community members can set up their in-person exchanges at the designated locations on each campus:
- SGW campus: EV Protection and Prevention desk (EV 1.402)
- Loyola campus: SP Protection and Prevention desk (SP 144)
The locations are highlighted with Safe Exchange signs posted on the walls. Advise the security agents on duty that you will be doing an in-person transaction in the space and proceed with your exchange.
Don’t worry about privacy, while security agents will be available if an emergency arises, they will not be screening the transitions taking place. However, you benefit from having a security agent present to ensure your security and the space itself has 24-hour video surveillance to help deter any unwanted experiences
- Only do transactions with local buyers/sellers
- Do not disclose unnecessary personal details
- When possible, bring a friend to accompany you during the transaction
- Insist on meeting in a public area like our safe exchange zone
- Beware of vague or "too good to be true" offers
- If possible, use cash to complete your transactions
- Trust your instincts, if it sounds like a scam it probably is
- If somebody is not willing to come to the Protection and Prevention desk to do a transaction it is probably not a legitimate transaction