Skip to main content

Campus Safety and Prevention Services

Formerly known as Campus Security and Emergency Services

Campus Safety and Prevention Services

Formerly known as Campus Security and Emergency Services

Travel safety

School and academic-related travel can be productive, safe and enjoyable if you are well-prepared, so planning is well worth the effort.

When traveling you may be out of your usual environment and far from your support structure, so learn in advance about cultures and rules that may be different from those you are used to.  Considered all necessary medical requirements before you leave, and know what to do if an emergency occurs.

To learn more on travel emergencies and assistance visit our emergency procedure page on travel emergencies.

Travel advisory

A Level 2 COVID-19 and International Travel advisory is in affect. 

Updated on October 1, 2022, The Public Health Agency of Canada is advising travellers to practise enhanced health precautions when travelling internationally. COVID-19 continues to circulate in Canada and internationally.

The COVID-19 situation at your destination can change rapidly and can vary considerably from one destination to another, and even between regions within a country.

The virus that causes COVID-19 continues to change over time and new variants will appear. Remain vigilant and take measures to protect yourself and limit the spread to others.

Consult a health care professional or visit a travel health clinic preferably at least 6 weeks before you travel. Discuss which travel vaccinations may be right for you.

Anyone who has not completed a COVID-19 vaccine series should continue to avoid non-essential travel to all destinations. If you must travel, consider delaying your plans until you’re fully vaccinated.

All eligible travellers should complete a COVID-19 vaccine series along with any additional recommended doses in Canada, at least 14 days before travelling.

More about Canadian Travel Advice and Advisories.

International Travel registry

If you are travelling outside of Canada on university business (work/study), you are encouraged to register your trip with Campus Safety and Prevention Services. This follows the Policy on Travel Outside of Quebec (VPS-53).

The university’s International Travel Registry allows Concordia to identify where students and employees are when travelling, and provide emergency assistance, if required.  

To submit your travel information:

  1. Go to the Travel Registry. (This link can also be found on the My CU Account page in Carrefour and the Student Hub.)
  2. Complete information under “New Trip”, and submit.

The information you provide is confidential and will only be used to help you in the event of an emergency or a natural disaster in the region where you are travelling.

You are encouraged to register if you are faculty, staff or student and are leaving the country for more than 24 hours to:

  • Participate in an academic, research or professional activity which is related to your employment.
  • Participate in an academic, research or professional activity which is related to your program of study or employment and if you receive an endorsement, direct financial contribution or in-kind contribution.
  • Participate in a non-academic activity that may be student or university-organized, with a view to promoting or furthering the goals, purposes or any of the missions of the university (e.g., a volunteer outreach program organized by a student group or a department of the university).

General travel safety

Learning about the culture, health risks, crime, visa and vaccination requirements of the countries you visit will help keep you safe and avoid problems.

In the event your travels involve a destination with an associated travel warning issued by the Canadian government, you will be contacted by the Office of Emergency Management and provided with a travel risk assessment.

While travelling, you should carry an emergency contact card with you at all times. Include the number of the nearest Canadian embassy as well as the phone number for Campus Safety and Prevention Services 514-848-3717. This number can be called collect 24/7 if you need assistance.

All staff, faculty and students who are Canadian citizens should register with Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. It is a free service offered by the Canadian government that keeps you connected to Canada in case of an emergency abroad or an emergency at home.

Travel insurance

Ensuring you have adequate travel insurance coverage is your responsibility and it is mandatory if your trip falls under the guidelines stipulated in the Policy on Travel Outside of Quebec, VPS-53.

Most home insurance policies, health plans and certain credit cards claim to provide travel insurance coverage as an added feature. However the conditions, limitations and maximum claim limits may not provide adequate coverage in the event of hospitalization or medical evacuation. You should purchase a travel insurance product from a recognized and reputable insurance company. In most cases, the cost of travel insurance is an approved travel expense.

In addition to providing travel safety, travel insurance may also be required to obtain a visa. For more information on International Travel Health Insurance, visit Visa Guide website.

The university corporate card does NOT provide adequate travel insurance coverage but may be used to purchase a travel insurance policy. See the Travel and Conference Policy, CFO-3.

Useful links

Questions, comments or concerns?

Please fill out this feedback form

Have a complaint or compliment for a security agent?

Please fill out this complaint or compliment form

Report an incident to Campus Safety and Prevention Services?

Please fill out this incident report form

Back to top

© Concordia University