Skip to main content

Donating from the U.S.

If you are a Concordia graduate, were enrolled at Concordia or are a member of a Concordia graduate’s or enrollee’s immediate family, you can donate online directly to the university and use the Concordia donation receipt when filing your U.S. income tax return.

If you are not a Concordia graduate, enrollee nor immediately related to someone who is, you may still make a tax-deductible donation to Concordia via the American Friends of Concordia University, a United States charity created to advance Concordia University.

Mail your cheque, payable to “American Friends of Concordia University” and indicate the area that you would like your donation to support.

American Friends of Concordia University

1350 Avenue of the Americas, Suite 266
New York, NY 10019

The American Friends of Concordia University Tax ID number is 72-1601411

If you would like to make a donation via wire transfer or securities, please email

Tax-Free Distributions to Charity from IRAs

If you are 70½ or older, funds can be distributed tax-free from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to the American Friends of Concordia University.

The amount you give can count toward your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year in which the distribution is made. Although these distributions are not deductible as charitable contributions on your income tax return, they can be advantageous because they are not treated as taxable income – as IRA distributions otherwise are.
How it works:

  • You must be 70 ½ or older at the time of distribution.
  • You may distribute any amount up to $100,000 in a calendar year to The American Friends of Concordia University as long as it is completed by December 31st of the year in which you intend to make the charitable distribution.
  • Your IRA administrator must make the distribution directly to the American Friends of Concordia University. Download a sample letter to your IRA administrator requesting a distribution to the American Friends of Concordia University:

Before completing a Tax-Free Distribution to Charity from you IRA, you should consult with your tax advisor regarding your particular situation and any impact of your state’s tax laws. 

Bequests and planned gifts

Bequests and other planned gifts may be made directly to Concordia by anyone in the United States. The only exception is a charitable trust, which must be made through the American Friends of Concordia University.

For more information about bequests and planned gifts to Concordia University, please contact:

Silvia Ugolini,  Principal Director, Planned Giving
Phone: 514-848-2424, ext. 8945 or 1-888-777-3330, ext. 8945

Back to top

© Concordia University