Get a mentor
Connecting with one or more alumni mentors can help you overcome this challenging time and ensure you don’t have to endure it alone.
- Sign up and sync your Concordia Alumni Connect profile with your LinkedIn profile.
(WATCH: How to craft an impressive LinkedIn profile)
- Start browsing – by industry, by company, by graduation year, by mentor services offered, by name, etc.
Go to my account > Access the directory (blue bar) > eMentoring > Search
- Request three to four mentors
- Wait for confirmation and begin connecting with your mentor(s)
Activate the Connection Request section in your profile to describe what you need support with, for example “Finding a job in the marketing industry.”
You can also add details about yourself (course, graduation year, and industry) to make your request easily searchable by alumni that would like to help.
Tips to facilitate communication with a Mentor
- Introduce yourself, your current professional or academic situation and future goals.
- Ask your mentor about their education and current position and their time since graduating from Concordia. You might find that the road to success is often not a straight line.
- Communicate in a respectful manner.
- Keep things professional.
- Discuss the length of your mentor and mentee partnership.
- Organize a schedule that is convenient for you and your mentor. We hope this will be a valuable learning experience.
Need help? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org