Concordia marks its 2021 Celebration of Research Excellence
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, research at Concordia flourished in 2021. The university was awarded millions of dollars in funding and made major additions to further next-generation exploration, and its professors across all faculties earned numerous internal and external distinctions.
This year’s Celebration of Research Excellence honours 41 researchers at Concordia. The university also marks the launch of the School of Health, its most transformative initiative in decades.
“One of the university’s strategic directions is to ‘Double our Research’ and the honours earned by these researchers are doing just that,” says Paula Wood-Adams, interim vice-president of research and graduate studies.
“They have been recognized on the local and national scales, secured major grants and published substantive research. I’m incredibly proud of their achievements and that Concordia is where they’re able to pursue their work, with the support of their faculties and the OVPRGS,” referring to the Office of the Vice-President of Research and Graduate Studies.
This year also saw the approval of the university’s 25th recognized research unit, the Concordia Materials Characterization Platform, as well as the one-year anniversary of the launch of the Next-Generation Cities Institute, which recently moved into its new space. The university also approved the Applied AI Institute under its research umbrella.
While an in-person event to honour the winners is not possible this year, Wood-Adams says their exemplary achievements are nonetheless deserving of recognition, and she shares her congratulations in a video message, posted below.
See the full list of winners:
2021 Celebration of Research Excellence
Recipients of the Petro-Canada Young Innovator Award
Recipients of the University Research Award
Other Research Chairs
- Roch Glitho, Ericsson/ENCQOR Senior Industrial Research Chair - Cloud and Edge Computing for 5G and Beyond
- Vincent Martin, Applied Synthetic Biology Senior Research Chair
- Jane McGaughey, Johnson Chair in Québec and Canadian Irish Studies
Concordia University Research Chairs
- Sana Anbuhi, Concordia University Research Chair in Stable Bio/Chemosensors (New Scholar)
- Zeynep Arsel, Concordia University Research Chair in Consumption, Markets and Society (Tier 2)
- Krista Byers-Heinlein, Concordia University Research Chair in Bilingualism and Open Science (Tier 2)
- Thien Thanh Dang-Vu, Concordia University Research Chair in Sleep, Neuroimaging and Cognitive Health (Tier 1)
- Stefanie Duguay, Concordia University Research Chair in Digital Intimacy, Gender and Sexuality (New Scholar)
- Alice Jarry, Concordia University Research Chair in Critical Practices in Materials and Materiality (New Scholar)
- Rafik Naccache, Concordia University Research Chair in Sustainable Multifunctional Nanomaterials (Tier 2)
- Pragasen Pillay, Concordia University Research Chair in Design and Performance of Electric Machines (Tier 1)
- Anton Shevchenko, Concordia University Research Chair in Operations and Sustainable Development (New Scholar)
- Emad Shihab, Concordia University Research Chair in Data Analytics for Software Systems (Tier 2)
- Kathleen Vaughan, Concordia University Research Chair in Art + Education for Sustainable and Just Futures (Tier 1)
- Thomas Walker, Concordia University Research Chair in Emerging Risk Management (Tier 1)
- Carly Ziter, Concordia University Research Chair in Urban Ecology and Sustainability (New Scholar)
Distinguished University Research Professors
Canada Research Chairs
- Nathan Brown, Canada Research Chair in Poetics (Tier 2, renewal)
- Christian Moreau, Canada Research Chair in Thermal Spray and Surface Engineering (Tier 1, renewal)
- Joshua Neves, Canada Research Chair in Global Emergent Media (Tier 2, renewal)
- Krzysztof Skonieczny, Canada Research Chair in Aerospace Robotics (Tier 2, renewal)
- Malcolm Whiteway, Canada Research Chair in Microbial Genomics (Tier 1, renewal)
Research awards and distinctions from external organizations
- Thien Thanh Dang-Vu, Member of the Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists
- Debbie Folaron, Jean Monnet Chair by the European Union
- Steven High, Governor General’s History Award for Popular Media: The Pierre Berton Award
- Tsz-Ho Kwok, 2021 Geoff Boothroyd Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award by SME
- Jason Edward Lewis, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada
- Pedro Peres-Neto, Fellow of the Ecological Society of America
- Gilles Peslherbe, Fellow of the Chemical Institute of Canada
- Akshay Kumar Rathore, Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Eric Reiter, Governor General’s History Award for Scholarly Research
- Theodore Stathopoulos, Honoris Genius for Engineering Research or Education by the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec
- Ching Yee Suen, 2020 King-Sun Fu Prize by the International Association for Pattern Recognition
- Kathleen Vaughan, Member of the Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists
Read the story about the 2021 Concordia inductees to the Royal Society of Canada.
University-recognized research units and infrastructure platforms
- Concordia Materials Characterization Platform (CMCP); Director: Mamoun Medraj
Read the story about the CMCP’s launch.
Learn more about Research at Concordia.