What you can do if you fail a course
If you received a failing grade in a course, you may be able to write a supplemental examination. This page explains when you may apply for a supplemental exam and how to do it.
Be sure to review all the university regulations concerning supplemental examinations in the undergraduate calendar.
A supplemental examination gives students who have failed a course a second chance to re-write the final exam without re-registering for the course.
A supplemental examination does not replace your final exam and does not change your final grade in the course. If you write a supplemental exam:
- The original grade for the course (F/FDNW) will remain permanently on your student transcript.
- A second entry for the course appears on your transcript, with your supplemental exam grade also counted towards your new grade.
- Both grades (the original F/FDNW and the passing grade) count towards your cumulative and final graduation GPA.
- If you fail the supplemental exam, both failure grades will be counted in the calculation of the cumulative and final graduation GPA.
Consider repeating the course
If you repeat the course, both grades (the original F/FDNW and the second grade) will appear on your transcript – but only the second (most recent) grade will be counted towards your GPA.
Read more about repeating courses in section 16.2.6 of the Undergraduate Calendar.
You may apply for a supplemental examination if you meet the following requirements:
- You must be in good academic standing; your last annual grade point average must be at least 2.00.
- You must have a grade of F or F/DNW in the course.
- You have not yet written a supplemental exam for the same course.
You may not apply for a supplemental examination if you:
- Are on Probation or Conditional Standing
- Receive a grade of A, B, C, D, FNS, R, or NR in the course
Each Faculty or School decides which courses will offer a supplemental exam and not all faculties offer them. The John Molson School of Business does not offer supplemental exams. Students in the Gina Cody School of Engineering must first submit a student request (via their department) and receive permission prior to applying for a supplement exam.
You may apply for a Supplemental examination online using the following link:
If you are unable to apply online, you may also download and print the Request for a supplemental examination form. This form can also be picked up at the Birks Student Service Centre (LB-185). Submit your application by the deadline. Please note that if you submit your request online, the processing fee of $40 will be charged to your student account.
Students in the Gina Cody School of Engineering must submit their approved student request together with the supplement application at the Birks Student Service Center.
|Fall (graduating students only)||February 1|
Be aware that you may only write one supplemental examination for a course, whether or not you repeat it.