What you can do if you fail a course
If you failed a final exam and receive a failing grade in a course, you may be able to write a supplemental examination. This page explains when you may apply for a supplemental exam and how to do it.
Be sure to review all the university regulations concerning supplemental examinations in the undergraduate calendar.
A supplemental examination gives students who have failed a course a second chance to re-write a final exam without re-registering for it.
A supplemental examination does not replace your final exam and does not change your final grade in the course. However, if you write a supplemental exam:
- The original grade for the course (F/FDNW) will remain permanently on your student transcript.
- A second entry for the course appears on your transcript, with your supplemental exam grade counted towards your new grade.
- Both grades (the original F/FDNW and the passing grade) count towards your cumulative and final graduation GPA.
- If you fail the supplemental exam, both failure grades will be counted in the calculation of the cumulative and final graduation GPA.
Consider repeating the course
If you repeat the course and pass, both grades (the original F/FDNW and the passing grade) appear on your transcript – but only the passing grade will be counted towards your GPA.
Read more about repeating courses in section 16.2.6 of the Undergraduate Calendar.
You may apply for a supplemental examination if you meet the following requirements:
- You must be in good academic standing with; your last annual grade point average must be at least 2.00.
- You must have a grade of F or F/DNW in the course.
- You have not yet written a supplemental exam for the same course.
You may not apply for a supplemental examination if you:
- Are on Probation or Conditional Standing
- Receive a grade of A, B, C, D, FNS, R, or NR in the course
Each Faculty or School decides which courses will offer a supplemental exam and not all faculties offer them. The John Molson School of Business does not offer supplemental exams. Students in the Gina Cody School of Engineering must first do a student request (via their department) and receive permission prior to applying for a supplement exam.
Download and print the Request for a supplemental examination form. Return it to the Birks Student Service Centre (LB-185) by the deadline and pay the $40 processing fee.
Students in the Gina Cody School of Engineering must submit their approved student request together with the supplement application at the Birks Student Service Center.
|Fall (graduating students only)||February 1|
Be aware that you may only write one supplemental examination for a course, whether or not you repeat it.