When we plan the final exam schedule, conflicts may arise for some students. If you have a conflict, follow the steps outlined on this page to report it.
If you have a legitimate exam conflict, you have two options. You may:
- Write an alternate exam
- Defer the exam (depending on the course)
The university uses the following criteria to define conflicts:
- Two or more exams scheduled at the same day and time
- Three exams scheduled in consecutive time blocks, for example:
- 9:00 am, 2:00 pm, 7:00 pm
- 2:00 pm, 7:00 pm, 9:00 am
- 7:00 pm, 9:00 am, 2:00 pm
- An exam scheduled at the same time as a religious observance.
- An exam scheduled at a time when an employer will deny time off.
For legitimate conflicts, you may write an alternate exam.
The following are not considered exam conflicts:
- Two exams on the same day
- Three exams in 24 or 48 hours
- Personal travel plans
You must report an exam conflict to be granted an alternate exam. To report a conflict, go to your personal exam schedule in the MyConcordia portal before the deadline.
In many cases you will be able to select the exam to be written as an alternate, but sometimes you will have no choice. In general, alternates are scheduled for the first Sunday that follows the original exam date.
If you have two exams at the same date and time:
- Report the conflict
- Decide which exam you will write on the originally scheduled day and which one you will write on the alternate day
- If you don’t decide before the established deadline, the Examinations Office will choose for you.
If you have three exams in a row:
- Decide if you want to write them all at the date and time scheduled, or choose one to write an alternate
- Report your conflict and choice by the deadline
- If you don’t choose an alternate exam before the established deadline, the Examinations Office will not choose for you; you will have to write the exam at the originally schedule date and time.
If you miss the deadline to report a conflict, you will have to call the Examinations Office at 514-848-2424, ext. 2608, 2609 or 2676 to report it.
If you report a conflict after the deadline, we cannot guarantee you an alternate exam. Please respect the deadlines established.
Review the section, What happens after you report a conflict for more information.
If you have an exam conflict because of an employment matter or religious nature, report the conflict in the MyConcordia portal. We may be able to resolve the conflict if an alternate exam is available.
You may also have to submit documentation to support your conflict. If your conflict is for religious reasons, the university will only request documentation in exceptional cases (such as when the request is made after the reporting deadline). A letter from your employer, written by a supervisor, is required to validate work conflicts. The letter must meet the following requirements:
- Include your name
- Indicate that you are working during the date and time of your regularly scheduled exam
- Be printed on official letterhead
- Be signed in ink (not a scanned or photocopy)
- Be submitted with the letter author’s signed business card or a copy of your most recent paystub
Please note that these types of conflicts cannot be predicted in advance, we are not always able to resolve them. If we can’t find a resolution you may have to apply for a deferred exam.
If there are other circumstances that create a conflict and you can’t write your exam, you must call the Examinations Office at 514-848-2424. ext. 2608, 2609 or 2676 to discuss your individual situation.
It is your responsibility to be available during the entire exam period. The range of Final Exam Dates is available online a year in advance.
After the deadline for reporting conflicts has passed, the Examinations Office closes the Conflict Reporting system. We review all the information and then finalize the time and location of the alternate examinations.
Please continue checking back to your personal exam schedule on the MyConcordia portal. Your alternate exam will be listed amongst your other exams. If you can see the alternate exam in your exam schedule, you are able to write that exam. You will still be able to see the details of your originally scheduled final exam, but you may attend the alternate.
If you miss the deadline to report a conflict, you must report it by emailing the Examinations Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 514-848-2424, ext. 2608, 2609, or 2676.
We do our best to provide options for alternate exams. If an alternate is not offered for an exam OR you cannot attend for eligible reasons, you must apply to defer your exam.