Skip to main content

Immigration lexicon

This is a validation of temporary employment or temporary studies that is issued by Quebec’s Ministère de l’immigration de la Francisation et de l’Integration (MIFI). This document must be issued before Canada approves the work permit and/or study permit application, as the case may be. Mexican and United States citizens under NAFTA as well as Visiting scholars, Guest Lecturers, self-funded researchers and postdoctoral fellows (amongst others) are CAQ exempt. Foreign-national students need a CAQ to study in Quebec.

Individuals applying for Canadian permanent resident status who plan to reside in Quebec must acquire a Certificat de sélection du Québec as the first stage of the permanent residency application process. The CSQ is awarded by the Quebec government once the applicant has demonstrated that he/she has met the province’s selection requirements. 

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is responsible for the admission of foreign-national persons to Canada, approving all permit and residency requests, providing humanitarian aid by protecting refugees, guiding individuals through and managing the citizenship application process, while insuring that the health, safety and security of Canadians are protected.

The Canada Border Services Agency manages the access of people and goods to/from Canada at Canadian ports of entry, including the three major marine ports (Vancouver, Halifax and Montreal), 119 land, 27 rail and 13 international airports of entry in Canada. Border services officers make the final decision on who may enter Canada.

Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada through a Canadian airport will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) as of March 15, 2016. Exceptions to this requirement include United States citizens and travellers with a valid visa as well as those issued a Work Permit after August 1, 2015. Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.

The LMIA application is submitted by the Employer to Service Canada, who evaluates the job offer and decides whether the job offered to a non-Canadian will have a negative impact on the labour market in Canada. The confirmation is called a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment, reflecting the determination that the job offer will have a neutral or positive impact on the Canadian labour market. The LMIA is given for a specific period of time. Once Service Canada has rendered its decision, it then informs Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) so that the work permit may be issued for the duration of the LMIA period. When a work permit extension is required, a new Labour Market Impact Assessment must be acquired by the Employer.

The Province of Quebec has jurisdiction over the selection of persons coming into Quebec temporarily or permanently as well as their integration into Quebec society.

This is the point of entry to Canada where travelers or goods enter the country under official supervision. It is also the point where many benefits (work permits, study permits, permanent residence) are granted.

The Record of Landing (issued until 2002) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (issued after 2002) is awarded after the individual has been approved for permanent resident status by the Government of Canada. It is generally issued at the port of entry in a process known as “landing.” Once received, the individual no longer needs a work permit (or study period) to be legally entitled to work (or study) in Canada. Both documents contain the individual’s personal information (name, date of birth, country of birth, etc.) that was relevant at the time that he/she became a permanent resident of Canada. 

Citizens of the following countries need a temporary resident visa to enter Canada.

A single-entry visa allows individuals to enter Canada once. They must remain in Canada during their period of authorized stay. Travel to the United States (and only to the United States) may be permitted without a visa if the individual holds a valid work permit or study permit.

A multiple-entry visa allows individuals to leave and re-enter Canada repeatedly during the validity period of the visa. Arrival in Canada must be on or before the visa expiry date (which cannot extend beyond the validity date of the passport). If the passport is due to expire, it must be renewed before the application for the TRV is made.

Once the individual enters Canada, he/she can stay for the duration of their status document (study permit/work permit/visitor record) or if no status document is issued, as a Visitor for a maximum period of six months or until the date indicated below the passport stamp made upon entry to Canada.

This information has been reviewed and approved by Legal Counsel.



For any additional immigration-related questions, please contact:

Cristiana Voiculescu
Faculty immigration specialist
514-848-2424, ext. 4830

Eligibility for benefits/expenses

Not sure whether you are eligible for a benefit or expense as a new faculty member at Concordia? Contact your Faculty:

Back to top

© Concordia University