Skip to main content

Health insurance

Once in Montréal, individuals will need to apply for provincial health insurance coverage by visiting the offices of RAMQ (Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec). One of the supporting documents RAMQ will need to see is the work permit. Once approved for RAMQ, there is a 3-month waiting period. In addition to the Benefits entitlements that are available to full-time faculty members and their family members, Concordia offers a "bridge" insurance coverage for the three-month waiting period.

Work permit holders are deemed to be temporary residents of Québec on the first day of the third month following their registration to RAMQ. To maintain temporary resident status, individuals must remain in Québec during their entire period of temporary residence. Foreign nationals who leave the province of Québec for a period of more than 21 consecutive days whether travelling on vacation or on University business will lose provincial health care coverage. Members and their dependents will no longer be covered under the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) for at least the entire duration of the absence, retroactive to the day of departure. Concordia Health and Dental plans cease for the same duration.

Regular residents of Québec lose their health insurance coverage if they are out of the province for a total of 183 days or more in a calendar year. Leaves for 21 days or less are not counted in the 183-day total

More information is available through the University's HR (Benefit Unit) website.



For any additional immigration-related questions, please contact:

Cristiana Voiculescu
Faculty immigration specialist
514-848-2424, ext. 4830

Eligibility for benefits/expenses

Not sure whether you are eligible for a benefit or expense as a new faculty member at Concordia? Contact your Faculty:

Back to top

© Concordia University