Our dedicated team of professionals is available full-time to serve the academic community with solutions and resources for all teaching and learning needs.
Whom we serve
- Department chairs, deans and associate deans
- Staff at other Concordia units engaged in activities closely related to teaching and learning
- Teaching Assistants
The CTL team possesses a broad range of expertise and experience ranging from pedagogies, assessment approaches, course design and development, online instruction to using innovative technologies, course evaluations and more.
The instructional designers can work with individuals or a team of instructors seeking to develop a new course or revamp an existing course that is aligned with evidence-based approaches to course design. Design or re-design can encompass all aspects of a course, or a single element. We can provide support materials and expertise to help you achieve your design goals, no matter the discipline.
Instructional designers can help instructors seeking to:
- Clarify course learning outcomes and their alignment to assessment and learning activities
- Design teaching and learning activities that improve student engagement
- Develop assessment activities that better reflect student learning
- Develop more efficient and effective grading practices
- Diversify perspectives and approaches to a discipline
- And more…
The teaching consultant can meet with instructors to provide advice, support and resources on a wide variety of teaching-related topics. All consultations are strictly confidential.
Some common consultation topics include:
- Selecting and implementing the appropriate pedagogical approach, teaching strategies and techniques, such as: active learning, flipped classroom, group work, class discussions, etc.
- Mid-course teaching observation and feedback
- Classroom management issues
- Implementing inclusive teaching strategies
- Lesson planning
- Interpreting course evaluations (refer to the Course evaluations pages on Carrefour for more information on accessing and interpreting your course evaluations.)
The educational technologist can support instructors seeking to:
- Improve their use of Moodle features;
- Address a specific pedagogical challenge with technology
- Adopt any of the institutional technologies in their classroom
- Experiment with a new technology in their course
- Review data or results from a prior project or class that implemented technology
- And more...
Curriculum developers can support departments, or Faculties or instructors seeking to:
- Develop a new program
- Redesign an existing program
- Conduct an environmental analysis to identify innovative curriculum models, comparator programs, market data, discipline trends, etc.
- Map a program curriculum to identify gaps and opportunities
- Meet program accreditation requirements
- Explore where inclusive practice and future skills can be integrated
- Examine the student experience across a program
- Conduct a program curriculum review
- And more...
The Indigenous Decolonization Office provides you with Indigenous evidence-based research, tools and resources to re-frame your curriculum and pedagogical practices in ways that promote critical discourse, analysis and integration of Indigenous Peoples’ diverse intellectual, cultural, agricultural, and scientific knowledge systems.
Our team can support departments or units with:
- Conducting a needs assessment to determine appropriate solutions to an emerging, complex challenge
- Evaluating new learning technologies
- Facilitating department retreats
- Developing and delivering customized workshops
- Re-designing classroom spaces to improve the learning environment
- And more...
Our team can support you with consultations on online exams, implementation of online exams, pre- and post-exam creation support, and in-exam support for students (invigilation). The Concordia Online Exams (COLE) team supports instructors to conduct online or digital exams and assessments in an effective and efficient way.
The services include:
- Consulting on how best to set up and implement online and digital assessments and exams
- Creating and / or configuring your exams on COLE
Our team offers a wide range of opportunities for professional development of teaching and learning staff at Concordia, including:
- annual events,
- faculty interest groups and reading circles,
- orientation sessions for new faculty and teaching assistants, and
- teaching dossier preparation support (see also the Teaching Dossier pages on Carrefour).