Public scholar: Louis Lazure
Louis Lazure is a doctoral candidate in Biology. He received a BSc in problem-based learning Biology from UQÀM, his MA in International Ecology from Université de Sherbrooke and an MSc in Biology from Western University.
With his expertise in ecology, zoology and animal behaviour, Louis has worked and conducted wildlife research in many countries and in captive settings. Louis is also the Research Coordinator at Zoo de Granby since 2013. His current research precisely explores raccoon’s cognition within a context of human-wildlife interactions in protected areas.
Louis Lazure: Considering animal behaviour to reduce human-wildlife conflicts
Louis' blog posts
Posted on April 5, 2022 | By Louis LazureImagining and studying how other species experience the world is challenging. Louis Lazure, Phd candidate in Biology, explores the topic of animal cognition in his latest blog post. Read more
Posted on February 18, 2022 | By Louis LazureZoos and aquariums have become hubs for scientific research. Louis Lazure, PhD candidate in Biology and research coordinator in a zoo, reveals this little-known aspects of zoological institutions. Read more
Posted on December 16, 2021 | By Felicity T.C. Hamer and Louis LazurePublic Scholars Louis Lazure and Felicity T. C. Hamer explore the unique challenges of parenting through grad school. Read more
Posted on October 7, 2021 | By Louis LazureSome animals generate strong negative feelings in many people. Louis Lazure explains some of the reasons behind this and how we should try to soften our view toward the less loveable wildlife species. Read more
Posted on July 1, 2021 | By Louis LazurePhD student in Biology and Public Scholars Louis Lazure explains why the scientific and conservation communities are reframing human-wildlife interactions under a more neutral point of view, and how this should affect everyone’s attitude toward wildlife. Read more
- October 24 - Découverte: Short report on my research in national parks
- November 19 - Spotlight story: Louis Lazure goes deep into the study of animal behaviour
- November 26 - Friday Reads: Friday Reads w/ Louis Lazure: Raccoons by Daniel Heath Justice
- December 2 - The raccoon next door: A discussion on animal intelligence and human-wildlife coexistence
- December 3 - 4th Space Lab Walk Through: Lab Walk Through with Louis Lazure
- December 22 - Op-ed in the Montreal Gazette: Opinion: Moving from conflict to coexistence with wildlife
- March 23 - Montreal Gazette: Quebec wildlife department puts a stop to Old Port fox rescue
- May 17 - Journal de Montréal: Les ratons laveurs habitués aux humains sont plus intelligents
- May 20 - The Elias Makos Show, CJAD 800 AM Montreal: Are raccoons who copy humans smarter than those who don’t?