Access to Information
Under the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information, chapter A-2.1 (the “Act”), anyone can request to receive documents held by the University in the exercise of its functions.
While the Act establishes a ‘right of access’, not all documents held by the University can be obtained. This applies for example to documents in draft form or those which do not exist at the time that a request is submitted.
Requesting access to documents containing Personal Information
At any time, members of the University community can request to receive copies of documents containing their Personal Information.
- Students wishing to access information relating to their enrolment or registration must contact the Birks Student Service Centre or their departments. For information relating to their fees, contact Student Accounts.
- Employees who wish to access their employee files must contact Human Resources directly.
- Requests for all other documents containing Personal Information must be forwarded to the attention of Me Frederica Jacobs, Secretary-General and General Counsel.
- Third parties wishing to access the Personal Information of a member of the University community must file a request with Me Frederica Jacobs, Secretary-General and General Counsel. The request must be accompanied with explicit consent from the member.
Only decisions regarding requests submitted in writing can be reviewed by the Commission d’accès à l’information.
Requesting access to administrative documents
‘Administrative documents’ are documents which contain information regarding the general operations of the University. Requests for access to such documents may be made in writing or verbally. Only requests received in writing can be reviewed by the Commission d’accès à l’information. Requests should also be sufficiently precise to allow for easy location of the documents.
- Requests by email must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Requests by fax must be sent to 514-848-8649.
- Requests by mail must be sent to the following address:
Me Frederica Jacobs
Secretary-General and General Counsel
University Secretariat, GM-620
1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. W.
Montreal, QC H3G 1M8