Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

How do I determine what my fields are?

Students applying to the program must complete a Fields form, indicating the Major field and two Minor fields that constitute their program of study. Fields are areas of study within academic disciplines, for example: international relations (a field within political science); Canadian cinema (a field within film studies); visual anthropology (a field within anthropology), etc. Your research proposal should clearly demonstrate how your program of study will draw on the three designated fields. Within each of the three fields students do course work and write comprehensive exams under the guidance of the field advisor. Thus the fields may be selected according to your advisors’ research interests and expertise; they may also correspond to recognized areas within departments. Students are encouraged to choose a Major field that corresponds to their Master’s degree research.

How can I find out if there are supervisors with expertise in my fields?

Any full-time faculty member in the many departments of the Faculty of Arts and Science and the Faculty of Fine Arts at Concordia can serve on a Humanities student’s advisory committee.

As part of the process of identifying faculty members who could serve on their advisory committee, applicants are encouraged to browse the faculty profiles of professors in departments that correspond to the three fields that inform the applicant’s proposed interdisciplinary project. We have facilitated this process by providing Faculty Profiles for full-time faculty members in departments across the Faculties of Arts and Science and Fine Arts. 

Humanities PhD projects can be undertaken in any of the many areas of interdisciplinary expertise at Concordia, see Research Currents as well for a sampling of Concordia faculty members whose work has been influential in opening up and charting these fields and whom applicants can approach to be on their advisory committee.

If you are in the Montreal area, you can try to meet with the individuals you have identified to discuss your research interests, and you are always welcome to contact the Humanities Director.

See Finding your advisors for additional information.

Can students take courses at other Universities?

Yes, Humanities students who have approval from the Humanities director as well as the student's advisory committee may enroll in courses that are not offered at Concordia.

How long does it take to complete the degree?

The average length of time is five years. Students are given a time limit of six years to complete the degree, after which period they may apply for an extension and pay additional fees.

Does the Humanities Program offer teacher training?

Concordia’s Centre for Teaching and Learning offers workshops in university teaching aimed at preparing graduate students for an academic teaching career.  Various workshops are also offered throughout the year through GradPro Skills.

Because the Humanities program is not attached to any undergraduate program, we cannot offer our students teaching positions. However, students can find opportunities to teach at Concordia through the home departments of their supervisors. Each department is required to reserve a percentage of their course offerings for non-union part-time teachers, and we encourage Humanities students to ask their supervisors to help them access these courses. There are also opportunities to teach writing and language courses at Concordia.

Back to top

© Concordia University