Skip to main content

Preferred name requests

The preferred name procedure enables students to use an alternate preferred given name (not surnames) for certain purposes while studying at Concordia when they have personal reasons for not wanting to use their legal given names.

Preferred name*

The preferred name may be used on all unofficial university documents and tools, such as:

  • Student ID card
  • Class lists
  • Moodle
  • Exam rosters
  • Printed student records
  • Convocation marshalling cards
  • The name read out during Convocation ceremonies
  • The overhead display screens during Convocation ceremonies

*Concordia reserves the right to refuse a chosen name for any reason, including misrepresentation or the use of inappropriate, offensive, or derogatory language.

Legal name

The student’s legal name must appear on official university documents, such as:

  • University transcript
  • Reports to government
  • Letters of attestation
  • Diplomas and certificates

Applying for preferred name use at Concordia does not change a student’s legal name or records with government authorities.

Students may request this service in strict confidence by sending an email to Upon request of your email, you will be asked to provide back:

  1. A copy (i.e. a scan or photo) of a valid government-issued ID with your legal name to confirm your identity
  2. The signed “Request to use Preferred Name” form that will be sent to you
Back to top

© Concordia University