3MT & MT180 Competitions
The Three Minute Thesis and Ma thèse en 180 secondes competitions are annual, international events that challenge graduate students to present their research in easy-to-understand terms to a non-specialist audience.
MA and PhD levels are challenged to share their research in an easy-to-understand format, and in just under 3 minutes. Experience academic research in a new way: no props, no jargon; just a single PowerPoint slide and 180 seconds!
Concordia's 3MT Competition
How does it work?
Both doctoral and masters (thesis) students can compete in this competition. Interested students must have attended a GPSC405 - Concordia Three Minute Thesis Competition Orientation Session and a minimum of two coaching sessions to participate.
Participants can present in English or French. English Masters and PhD participants are considered for the CAGS 3 Minute Thesis Eastern Canada competition. French PhD participants are considered for the Acfas Ma thèse en 180 secondes competition.
What are the benefits?
- Learn how to explain complex ideas in simple and understandable terms
- Promote your research to a broad audience of faculty, students and the public
- Develop a winning research pitch with the support of communication experts
- Meet and network with other graduate researchers
- Prizes for the winning presentations (see below)
- Opportunity to participate in regional, national and international competitions
|Winner||$750 award||$750 award|
|Runner-up||$150 gift card||$150 gift card|
|People's choice||$100 gift card||$100 gift card|
Previous competitions & winners:
- Events & services
- Ambassador Program
- Grad Chat
- Code Together
- Grad School Base Camp
- Leadership Essentials Series
- Meet & Write
- Postdoctoral Career Conference
- Survival Skills for Scientists & Engineers
- Thesis Boost: 3-day writing retreat
- 3MT & MT180
- Versatile PhD Subscription
- Acfas Journées de la relève en recherche