Use of Prop Weapons on Campus
With the exception of police officers and armoured car security and the authorized use of prop weapons, the possession of weapons on university premises is prohibited; weapons include firearms, air-powered weapons such as pellet or airsoft guns, prop weapons, toy weapons, blunt force weapons such as batons and edged or spike weapons such as knives with a cutting or penetrating edge of more than 7 cm in length.
Guidelines for use of prop weapons
A prop weapon can be an actual weapon, a toy or replica of a weapon that is used during a theatrical performance, film shoot or as part of a work of art. The use, transportation, and storage of prop weapons on campus, must be coordinated with Campus Safety and Prevention Services and adhere to the following guidelines.
- The use of prop weapons on campus must be for academic reasons and/or during an approved performance.
- When possible, an alternative to the use of a prop weapon must be considered.
- The use of a prop weapon on campus must be coordinated with Campus Safety and Prevention Services.
- Prior to the use of a prop weapon, a prop weapon plan must be submitted to and approved by Campus Safety and Prevention Services.
- A prop weapon plan must include.
- A description of the weapon; real, replica, toy including a picture of the prop weapon,
- The specific location(s) of where the prop weapon will be used.
- A detailed schedule of the use, and transportation of the prop weapon to and from campus.
- The details of where and how the prop weapon will be stored once on campus.
- A detailed description of how the prop weapon will be used,
- name and contact information of the person responsible for the management of the prop weapon.
- If the use of the prop weapon will include pyrotechnical charges to simulate gun shots, a full description of the pyrotechnical charges that will be used.
- The prop weapon must be concealed when it is not used and during transportation to and from the location of use. Concealment methods must not disclose or indicate that it is a weapon (ie. a rifle case should not be used.)
- Campus Safety and Prevention Services must be advised by calling 514-848-3717 when the prop weapon is being brought on campus and again when it will be transported off campus.
- Pyrotechnical charges, if authorized, must be stored separately from the prop weapon.
- If necessary, a security agent could be required on site, during the use and/or transportation of the prop weapon at the expense of the person responsible.
- The use of a prop weapon must be limited to specific areas and not be circulated outside of the designated and approved area.
- Signs may need to be posted at the door and/or area where the prop weapon will be used.
- The use of a prop weapon will not be accepted in public spaces during normal hours of operations.
- The prop weapon cannot shoot any projectiles
- The prop weapon should be stored safety at all the time and between periods of use.
To request authorization to use a prop weapon on campus or any related questions, please email us at email@example.com.