2024-2025 Fellowships and Awards
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: February 1, 2024
All awards are for one year. Many are available in the area of Jewish studies generally; many are available even if you have won the award in a previous year. Please read each description carefully. Application Instructions follow the descriptions.
Award recipients will be expected to present their work at one of the graduate student colloquia of the Institute for Canadian Jewish Studies and in some cases be invited to participate in institute projects and programming to complement their program of study.
Please note that in addition to these awards, the Department of Religions and Cultures offers three Jewish Studies awards for students in or applying to the MA in Judaic Studies or the PhD in Religion with a focus on Judaism. These include:
- The Moses Montefiore Graduate Fellowship of $7,000 for an MA or PhD student;
- the Nathaniel and Gabriel Mayer-Heft PhD Fellowship of $5,000 per year for three years for an incoming PhD student;
- and the Kurt Ekler Scholarship in Judaic Studies - preference for new MA students in Judaic Studies.
Available Fellowships and Awards
- The award will be granted, based on academic merit, to deserving MA or PhD students or Postdoctoral Students at Concordia University, to cover conference travel expenses or research travel expenses related to Jewish Studies or Canadian Jewish Studies. Applicants must demonstrate that the goal of their trip is to attend a conference, pursue research, or undertake any other activities relevant to their program of study. The Award may be used to reimburse any type of expense related to the trip. Reimbursements will be issued by the School of Graduate Studies upon submission by the awardees of appropriate receipts.
- This is a rolling award. Applications may be submitted at any time, but award is made on a first-come-first-served basis.
How to apply
Applicants who are also applying to start an MA or PhD program at Concordia need only submit the application form and request that the other material, from their application file, be forwarded. A supplement to the statement of purpose may be helpful to demonstrate the relationship to Jewish Studies and/or Canadian Jewish Studies and to any specific focuses of the listed awards.
Items to be submitted:
- Application form (see above).
- Transcripts of all university studies.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, including a list of publications and relevant professional and research experience.
- A statement of purpose. In order to give the adjudication committee an idea of the path you see for yourself and its relationship to this program, please include: a short description of proposed research for thesis or capstone project and (if you are not a PhD student) for future (graduate) research; a statement about what makes such research of interest or important; a presentation of your intended career path; and a listing of the academic, research, and/or extracurricular work you have done that is relevant. If travel is part of your proposal, please describe it. In addition, you should highlight your accomplishments in research, particularly as they relate to your current and intended scholarship. A budget is not necessary; rather clarity of research purpose and of goals in the funded year are of interest to the committee. Please do not focus on broad generalizations but on specifics. (Maximum 750 words).
- Two letters of recommendation from past professors or professional mentors. These letters should focus on your academic and other relevant skills and on any of your accomplishments that suggest you will be successful in graduate work. Specific details are helpful. Broad generalizations are not.
- Please indicate which fellowships you wish to apply for. You may state that you wish to be considered for all fellowships for which you are eligible.
For additional information, please contact:
The Concordia University Institute for Canadian Jewish Studies
ER-742, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W., Montreal, QC, H3G 1M8
Telephone: (514) 848-2424 ext. 2382
Fax: (514) 848-4540