Communication Graduate Diploma internship
This course makes it possible for students to observe, study and work in the communications media field of their choice under the supervision of the BA & Diploma Internships Director and a media professional in the field.
The internship is 120 hours. These hours are typically completed part-time over a 10 – 12 week period.
- Permission of the Internships Director is required. See comsopps.concordia.ca for more info.
- Students participating in internships may also accept remuneration from the supervising organization.
For more information, please contact the Graduate Programs Assistant.
- Fill out the application forms (download from comsopps.concordia.ca)
- Identify an internship and an on-site supervisor
- Fill out the application form that includes a one-page write up about your motivation for doing this internship.
- Get the signatures from your on-site internship supervisor
- Submit to the dept. in a timely manner (before your internship begins)
What is my role and what are my responsibilities as on-site supervisor?
- Your role is to act as mentor for the student during the internship.
- You will ensure that the workload corresponds to the total number of hours required for this internship.
- You delegate appropriate tasks and assign responsibilities for the student.
- You supervise the work of the student at the internship location.
How often should I meet with the student to discuss their work performance?
- We recommend meeting with the student at the beginning of the project to discuss shared goals for the project and to agree upon a timeline. As the internship progresses, we suggest meeting with the students once a week to review his/her performance or as often as makes sense for your work environment to make sure that the student is on track.
- Consult with the evaluation form supplied to make sure that the student is meeting performance expectations such as completing his/her assigned tasks, arriving on time, maintaining a healthy work ethic, and achieving the goals of the internship.
Do I consult with the faculty sponsor during the internship?
- Consultation is not necessary. The student checks in with the faculty supervisor on a regular basis during the internship.
What should I do if I have concerns about the internship after it is underway?
- We recommend setting up a meeting with the student to discuss any concerns you might have and, if necessary, to revisit project goals. Should this first course of action be unsuccessful in addressing your concerns, we recommend getting in touch with the faculty supervisor for further support.
Organizations where Graduate Diploma in Communication Studies students have interned over the last 2 years:
- CBC Montreal
- CKUT Campus/Community Radio
- Art souterrain
- Rock Camp for Girls Montreal
- Just for Laughs
- Picture This
- Pop Montreal
- Studio de musique ancienne de MTL
- Fantasia Film Festival
- Radio Canada
- Musée McCord Museum
- Students should also check for potential opportunities at comsopps.concordia.ca
Please contact the Graduate Programs Assistant