Horizon Postdoctoral Fellowships
Research program title
Engineering T-cells using microfluidics
Preliminary clinical trials harnessing the immune system of cancer patients to combat disease have shown to have impressive efficacy. Immune cells isolated from a patient are genetically altered to allow for improved detection of cancerous cells and subsequently re-introduced into the patient. Yet despite its promise, rapid and cost-effective manufacturing of this therapy remains a barrier to widespread adoption. The goal of this project is to implement a lab-on-a-chip approach to rapidly engineer CAR-T cells for cancer therapies. To achieve this goal, this work will be divided into three aims: 1) Design a microfluidic platform to deliver chimeric antigen receptors into model T-cells (see publication for preliminary work of gene-editing), 2) Activate and expansion of T-cells that are successfully transfected with CAR. 3) Perform the same protocols for primary and stem cells in collaboration with clinicians at St. Justine. If successful, this chip will allow for automated liquid handling and optimization of experimental conditions specific to the genetic engineering of T cells.
Academic qualifications required
PhD in Bioengineering or Electrical Engineering, experience in microfluidics and fabrication and synthetic biology an asset.
- Applicants must not currently hold a postdoctoral appointment at Concordia
- Priority will be given to postdoctoral fellows who have obtained their PhD from another university although in exceptional cases Concordia graduates may be considered
- Applicants must adhere to the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria outlined in Concordia University’s Postdoctoral Policy
The Postdoctoral Fellow must start their appointment by August 31, 2022.
- All documents must be submitted to Niyusha Samadi
- Please include the reference number with your application
- One to three (1-3) page research statement demonstrating fit with the program described above.
- Current curriculum vitae demonstrating research excellence and a capacity for leadership in the domain (maximum 5 pages).
- Two letters of reference from academic supervisors or current employers to be sent via e-mail directly to Niyusha Samadi.
The prestigious two-year Horizon Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $50,000 per year plus benefits and full access to Concordia’s services, including GradProSkills.
Concordia University is a vibrant research and teaching environment, with state-of-the-art research facilities and many research centers. Concordia is located in Montreal, Canada, a diverse and creative city, often ranked as offering one of the best quality of living experiences in North America.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.