Skip to main content

Independent students

Independent graduate students enrol in specific courses without being admitted to a graduate degree program.

How to apply?

  1. Contact the graduate program assistant for your program to determine if the program accepts independent students (see "Contact us" at the bottom of the description of your program for contact information).
  2. Review course descriptions in the graduate academic calendar and choose the course(s) that interest you.
  3. Complete the authorization form.
  4. Submit the completed form to the graduate program assistant, along with a copy of your most recent transcript and proof of residency.
  5. Read the complete information on Independent Graduate Students in the Graduate Calendar.

The graduate program director will evaluate your academic background and review your request to take graduate courses.

In some cases, the University may require proof of English proficiency if it is deemed necessary.

Keep in mind that if you do become an independent graduate student, you will need to wait to register for courses until after degree-seeking students have registered. We cannot guarantee you a place in a specific course.

Limit on course registration

As an independent graduate student, you may take no more than the equivalent of two graduate courses per term and you are limited to a maximum of 12 credits from a specific program.

After you are accepted

Avoid the "permanent code" surcharge

Under the Ministère de l’Éducation, each student has a “permanent code” to identify them within the Quebec education system. You will pay more tuition unless you provide Concordia with yours. If you don’t have a permanent code, Concordia will issue you one directly after you complete the request form.

Do you have questions regarding admission requirements?

Back to top

© Concordia University