Public scholar: Geneviève Grégoire-Labrecque
Geneviève Grégoire-Labrecque is a PhD candidate in the Individualized Program (INDI). Her research examines the ways youth participation is understood, practiced, and experienced by youth and school staff in a youth-led and an adult-led school initiative on environment and climate change in two high schools in Montreal.
Recipient of a Nelson Mandela Award, her research is also supported by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) and Concordia University. Prior to her PhD, she worked on diversity, inclusion and knowledge mobilization in education, health care and social services. Geneviève holds both a BSc and a MSc in Anthropology from Université de Montréal.
Geneviève is a member of the Child Rights Academic Network, the Canadian Coalition for the Rights of Children, a student member of the Centre de recherche en éducation et formation relatives à l’environnement et à l’écocitoyenneté, and an academic member for the North American Regional Children’s Environmental Rights Consultations for the UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the Environment.
Geneviève Grégoire-Labrecque: Supporting youth participation in schools for a rights-respecting world
Geneviève's blog posts
Public Scholar Geneviève Grégoire-Labrecque reflects on the benefits of belonging to an academic and professional group and shares ways to connect with other graduate students. Read more
As the year comes to an end, Public Scholar Geneviève Grégoire-Labrecque reflects on her doctoral trajectory and shares tips and tools to undertake such an adventure. Read more
As we celebrate the 2-year anniversary of the biggest “Fridays for Future” school-strike demonstration in Montreal, Public Scholar Geneviève Grégoire-Labrecque shares tips to help adults work together with young people in shaping the world. Read more
As many are scheduling vacations, Public Scholar Geneviève Grégoire-Labrecque explores what it means for scholars engaged with the community in bringing about change. Read more
Public Scholar Geneviève Grégoire-Labrecque explores the implications of working with young people over a long period of time during an unsettling year. Read more
- July 15-18 - Facilitator at the North American Intergenerational Virtual Workshop for the UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the Environment): The Phoenix Consultation --The Right of Children and Youth to a Healthy Environment: Building an Agenda for Justice, Equity and Empowerment
- June 28 - Featured in a video by "Grandir avec la Ville", an interuniversity and interdisciplinary research team: Les enfants et la COVID-19 à Montréal : Comité de jeunes co-chercheurs 2020-21
- October 12 - Spotlight story: Geneviève Grégoire-Labrecque wants to know more about how young people are engaging with society
- October 12 - A discussion about the challenges of "engaged" research and the ways to reconcile it with academia: Untangling the blurry lines of “engaged” research
- November 16 - Op-ed in the Montreal Gazette: Opinion: It's time to put principles of children's rights into action