External and online mental health resources related to COVID-19
If you are experiencing an emergency, dial 9-1-1 or consult our resources.
If you need additional support for your mental health or more resources to refer to, consult our mental health support services list.
External mental health resources related to COVID-19
Many mental health and health organizations have put out online programs and services tailored to the stressors and experiences particular to COVID-19.
- Wellness Together Canada Portal: Mental Health and Substance Use Support: Free counseling with qualified mental health professionals: call 1-866-585-0445, 24 hours a day. Also provides free online educational resources, tools, connections to trained volunteers, group coaching, group mindfulness practice, and a lot more resources. By registering for a free account and completing a short survey, the Portal will provide you with tailored resources. This service is funded in part by the Government of Canada.
- Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic, from the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH): Resources to cope with stress and anxiety relating to COVID-19, including self-help tools to assess and manage your stress.
- Mind Control: Managing your mental health during COIVD-19, offered by University of Toronto: a free, 3-hr. online course that helps participants manage their mental health during the COVID-19 crisis. Provides tools to deal with increased isolation and the loss of normal interactions; walks participants through understanding and managing the effects of anxiety and isolation.
- Mental health and COVID-19, from the Conference Board of Canada: video series focusing on the mental health of workers; updated weekly. Titles include:
- Mental Health and COVID 19
- Calm and COVID 19
- Dealing with Isolation and COVID 19
- Care for your Coronavirus Anxiety, from Shine App and Mental Health America: Self-help resources, articles, meditations, etc. to care for anxiety related to COVID-19.
- Pandémie de la COVID-19: conseils psychologiques et informations au grand public, from the Ordre des psychologues du Québec (OPQ): lots of information, articles, and resources in French, vetted by the mental health professionals of the OPQ.
- FACE COVID – How To Respond Effectively To The Corona Crisis [Video] by Dr. Russ Harris, author of The Happiness Trap: short video illustrates how to use Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) to deal with the Corona crisis and the fear, anxiety and worry that goes with it. An accompanying booklet expands upon the content of the video.
- Impacts of COVID-19 on Substance Use, from the Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction (CCSA). “CCSA is the go-to place in Canada for trusted information on COVID-19 and substance use.” They have put together a suite of resources from websites and organizations from around the world, as well publications from their own experts.
- COVID-19 anxiety workbook from the University of Arkansas: Learn self-help strategies to manage anxiety around the COVID-19 pandemic.