Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

The following provides useful information to prospective and current undergraduate students in the Department of Economics. It should be interpreted in conjunction with Concordia University procedures and regulations outlined in the Undergraduate Calendar.

Who is my academic advisor?

Students in Economics programs are not assigned a personal academic advisor. Undergraduate students are asked to write to for advising. See the advising calendar here.

What GPA do I need to transfer into Economics from another program?

Around a 2.6 (3.3 for Honours), plus a good performance in the relevant Economics and Math courses.

Can I take COMM 215 (Business Statistics) in place of the Economics statistics courses 221 and 222?

COMM 215 will be considered as equivalent to ECON 221, although Economics program students are better prepared for ECON 222 if they have take ECON 221 rather than COMM 215. 

How do I add an additional component to my program - for example, a Minor in Economics or an elective group in an area outside of Economics?

Students must complete the appropriate form, which is available from the Undergraduate Program Assistant in the Department of Economics. A Departmental advisor must sign this before it is returned to the Program Assistant.

What are the Math requirements for Economics?

Students require some mathematical background for their statistics courses: ECON 221 and 222. MATH 201 or MATH 206 is required for ECON 221 and MATH 203 or MATH 209 is required for ECON 222.

What does my GPA mean and how do I calculate it?

The grading scheme is based on a Grade Point Average (GPA) number that reflects your academic standing based on a scale from 0 to 4.3. The final grade for a course is denoted by a letter. Each letter grade represents a point value on the GPA number scale:

A+ = 4.3 A = 4.0 A- = 3.7 B+ = 3.3 B = 3.0 B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3 C = 2.0 C- = 1.7 D+ = 1.3 D = 1.0 D- = 0.7
F = 0.0 FNS = 0.0 R = 0.0 NR = 0.0    

Courses are assigned a certain number of credits and the grades obtained in them. For demonstration purposes here is a fictitious example:

Course Grade Point Value x Credits Weighted Grade Point
ECON 477 C 2.0 x 6 12.0
ECON 453 B+ 3.3 x 3 9.9
ECON 424 A+ 4.3 x 2 8.6
ECON 371 F 0.0 x 1 0.0
TOTAL       12 30.5

GPA = Total Weighted Grade Point / Total Credits = (30.5/12 ) = 2.54

There are two different types of GPA: last annual and cumulative. The last annual GPA (AGPA) is calculated once a year in May. It indicates your academic performance during the preceding summer, fall and winter semesters. You must have attempted at least 12 credits for the annual GPA to be calculated. So, even if you entered Concordia for the first time in January, your last annual GPA will be calculated if you registered for at least 12 credits.

The CUMULATIVE GPA (CGPA) reflects your academic performance since you entered a degree program in the Faculty of Arts and Science.

If my GPA is below 2.0 what are the consequences?

The consequences are serious and depend on whether the score lies in the range 1.5 - 1.99 - conditional standing, or whether it is below 1.5 - failed standing or two consecutive periods in conditional standing. Students should read the regulation in the Undergraduate Calendar.

Conditional standing means, primarily, that the student may not write supplemental examinations, that s/he must see an advisor before registering for more courses and must attain acceptable standing at their next assessment.

Failed standing is more serious. Students are required to withdraw from their program, or be dismissed from the University if they fail a second time. They must reapply for admission if they wish to continue their studies and if readmitted they will be placed on probation.

What GPA do I require in order to graduate?

Students should read the Undergraduate Calendar. They must have a last annual and a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. Students who do not meet these requirements must take additional courses.

How do I transfer to the Commerce program?

The required GPA for such a transfer is set out by the John Molson School of Business. Students interested in learning about the internal degree transfer process and its requirements are invited to consult this page.

How do I register for courses that are defined as 'full'?

Please use the course search and sign up for the "Waitlist".

Why should I take the 'Honours' or 'Specialization' program rather than the Major?

These programs provide the student with a more rigorous training in Economics. Consequently, students must take more advanced-level courses, specifically at the 400-level. The honours program in addition requires students to take core theory and econometrics courses.

The BA Honours in Economics program at Concordia is an outstanding preparation for those students wishing to do graduate work in Economics or Business. The Specialization program is followed by students in the Co-operative program in Economics as an alternative to Honours.

What other courses should I take to graduate?

Students must complete the minimum number of credits for graduation as indicated in their offer of admission and on their student record. This includes program requirements and at least 24 credits outside of economics (this includes the general education requirement). Refer to the Undergraduate Calendar for details.

What is the Co-operative program in Economics?

This is one of the Department’s 'flagship' offerings. Students accepted into the program must meet specific requirements and have completed at least one term of study. Students are offered job placements, in the form of work terms, as part of their degree. The placements are with the private and public sectors of the economy, mostly in Montreal and Ottawa. Such students invariably receive a variety of interesting job offers upon completion of their degree. Students are encouraged to visit the Economics Co-op program page and the Institute for Co-operative Education page for more information.

  • Contact: Émilie Martel, Program Coordinator for Internships and Experiential Learning. 

The following provides useful information to prospective and current graduate students in the Department of Economics. It should be interpreted in conjunction with Concordia University procedures and regulations outlined in the Graduate Calendar.

What are the application deadlines?

The deadline for completed applications is February 1 for September admission to the PhD, MA and Diploma programs; the deadline for completed applications is June 1 for January admission to the MA and Diploma programs; there is no summer admission.

Applications are received directly at Enrollment Services. These will be reviewed by the Department of Economics as soon as they are complete. A complete application package includes the application form, transcripts, three letters of recommendation, an up-to-date c.v., a statement of purpose, the application fee and a DET, TOEFL, or IELTS score for international applicants.

Do I need to obtain a supervisor before applying to the MA or the PhD program?

No. You will find your supervisor and your MA thesis topic while in the MA program, after taking some or all of your courses. MA students often write their thesis based on an elective course that they have taken, under the supervision of the course instructor. PhD students first complete all the core courses and pass their comprehensive exams before they look for a supervisor and determine the research topic for their doctoral thesis under the guidance of their supervisor. Thus, you can apply to the MA or the PhD program without having a supervisor already. Nonetheless, feel free to contact potential future supervisors before applying to either program.  

Do I still have to write a thesis if I'm in the Co-op option?

Yes. A Co-op student is subject to the same academic requirements as a regular MA student: 27 credits of course work and an 18-credit MA thesis (students admitted before the Fall 2021 entrants must do 24 credits of course work and a 21-credit MA paper). The Co-op requirements are on top of those. 

What are the class sizes at the graduate level?

Our class sizes at the 600-level graduate courses are moderate, the average is 25 in the core required courses and it is a bit smaller in the elective courses.

Can I transfer credits from other graduate programs?

A student may be allowed to transfer credits for previously completed graduate level work. The applicant must provide official transcripts documenting the completed work and the grades obtained for this work as well as proof of withdrawal from the program from which the credit is requested. These grades must meet the Concordia admission standards. Transfer credit is permitted only for courses in which the final mark is equivalent to a "B" or better for the MA and PhD programs, and equivalent to a "B-" or better for the Diploma program.

Can I get financial assistance?

A guide to eligibility for sources of financial assistance is available from the Graduate Awards Office.

Do MA students receive Teaching Assistantships (TA) in Economics?

TA funding is reserved for PhD Economics students in our department. Applicants to the MA Economics should not expect any funding from the Department of Economics.

English isn't my first language, do I have to prove English competency?

Please note that due to the pandemic, we are currently accepting the Duolingo English Test (DET) results, which do not require visiting a test centre. The minimum Duolingo score for Economics graduate applicants is 120. More information about language proficiency requirements and testing is available here.

International applicants whose primary language is not English must write a pre-admission test. Students should submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores routinely as part of their applications (results must not be more than two years old). While conditional acceptances may be provided prior to the submission of IBT TOEFL scores, final acceptance will require a TOEFL score of at least 90 (and no section under 20).

For the IELTS (International English Language Testing System), Concordia University’s minimum band score is 6.5 and no part under 6.5 is required. Students admitted in Economics with a minimum band score of 6.5 will be required to take an English test (ConCEPT) and possibly English courses in addition to their program if their scores in all sections are not 6.5.

Is taking the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) recommended?

It should be noted that especially for non North American students, a strong case for admission and, in particular, funding offered to PhD students, depends not only on your transcripts and letters of recommendation but also on your GRE scores. While writing the GRE is NOT required, such scores certainly enhance an application for admission and especially for funding. More information about GREs is available here.

Is it possible to transfer to the MA Program from the Graduate Diploma Program?

Students who do not have the equivalent of an honours degree in economics may be offered admission into the Diploma program while they qualify for admission to the MA program. In this case, students must take a series of graduate courses that will provide them with the necessary prerequisites, chosen in consultation with the Graduate Program Director. Ordinarily, these courses would be courses in Advanced Microeconomics (ECON 501), Advanced Macroeconomics (ECON 503), and Econometrics (ECON 521).

Any student accepted into the Diploma Program in order to qualify for admission to the MA program may take 600 level courses once they have completed the prerequisites. Any 600-level course completed within the Graduate Diploma program with a grade of B, or higher, can be counted toward the MA program requirements. To transfer into the MA program, a student must maintain at least a B+ average in the courses that are taken as part of the Graduate Diploma program.

What is the tuition and fees?

For more information, please visit tuition and fees. Please note that the department cannot waive admission or confirmation fees.

What is the average length for each program?

On average, full-time students in Economics complete their program within these time frames:

  • Graduate Diploma: 1.5 to 2 years
  • Masters in Economics: 2 years
  • PhD in Economics: 6 years

Some students complete their program in less time, although all students must abide by the time limits set in the Graduate Calendar.

I'm an international student, where can I get information specific to me? 

Please visit the Concordia International Students Office website. The ISO has also prepared letters detailing the estimate of tuition and cost of living; this information may be useful when applying to the study permit or for a loan.

Where can I get more information about graduate admissions at Concordia University?

Your best source of information is the Graduate Admissions page

What documents do I need to provide when I'm applying?
  • Application form (online)
  • 100$ CDN (this fee cannot be waived)
  • Transcripts (one copy) and proof of degree (university studies)
  • Statement of purpose (500 words)
  • Resume (CV)
  • 3 reference letters in sealed envelopes (from professors preferably)
  • TOEFL/IELTS/DET results (for international applicants, for applicants who did less than 3 years of studies in an English speaking university).
  • Birth certificate (if Canadian)

Contact Information

For further information regarding these programs please contact Kelly Routly, Graduate Program Assistant.

Back to top

© Concordia University