Skip to main content

Updates on new enrolment caps for international students

This page will be updated as information is received and confirmed by the government.

Updated: February 26, 2024

In January 2024, the Canadian government announced that study permits issued for international students would be capped at approximately 360,000 nationally for 2024.

The information below clarifies how this affects Concordia students.

  • The new enrolment caps and changes to immigration document requirements apply only to new undergraduate students, and new graduate diploma and graduate certificate students. Master’s and PhD students are exempt from the enrolment cap and the new document requirement of a provincial attestation letter.
  • Enrolment caps for international students have been determined on a province-by-province basis. The exact cap for Quebec has not yet been officially announced. It should be confirmed by March 31, 2024.
  • Newly admitted international students will need to submit a provincial attestation letter alongside their study permit applications. In Quebec, the CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) acts as the provincial attestation letter if it contains the following statement: “This attestation letter confirms that the applicant has a place in Quebec’s share of the distribution of study permit applications or is exempt from it.
  • Any study permit applications received on or after January 22, 2024 without the provincial attestation letter will be returned, unless the student is exempt from the enrolment caps. Students will need to re-apply with a provincial attestation letter.
  • Students should apply for their CAQ. Visit the ISO website for updated information and instructions.
  • The enrolment caps and provincial attestation letter requirement do not apply to students already studying in Canadian universities who hold a valid study permit or are studying as a visitor for less than 6 months, have a work permit, or are the dependent of a worker or student already in Canada.

For more information, refer to the government of Canada’s website.

Updated information will be available as it is confirmed on the Concordia International Students Office web page.

Back to top

© Concordia University