Indigenous Directions Elder Fund
This fund was created to help support Indigenous Elders who are called upon by First Nations, Inuit and Métis graduate students to serve on their Master’s Thesis or PhD Dissertation supervision committees.
Funding eligibility critertia
The Indigenous Directions Elder fund can cover up to $1,000 in eligible expenses.
Who can apply?
First Nations, Inuit and Métis students who are currently registered in a Master’s or PhD program at Concordia University.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Applicants must have successfully completed the course requirements of their degree.
- They must have a thesis supervisor and a thesis topic.
- Applicants must demonstrate that an Elder is necessary to the completion of their thesis.
- Elders must be recognized as such by their communities.
Eligible for funding:
- Honoraria for supervision committee work
- Travel and meal expenses to and from Concordia University incurred by Elder
Not eligible for funding:
- Student travel costs to visit Elders
- Any cost incurred by Elder helpers or other individuals accompanying Elders
- Costs associated to special activities involving the Elder
- Honoraria for Elders who participate are participants in the student’s research or project.
How to apply
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- A completed application form
- A letter of reference from your thesis or dissertation supervisor
Applications are due September 29th, 2023 at 5 p.m. Completed applications can be emailed to email@example.com with the subject line "Indigenous Directions Elder Fund Application".
Please note the following:
- Proof of Indigenous identity may be required (applicant and Elder).
- Elders who are members of the applicant’s immediate family will not be considered (i.e., parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles).
- Successful applicants will not be awarded the sum directly and may only be awarded a partial sum to cover Elder expenses. The Office of Indigenous Directions will pay Indigenous Elders directly.
- To receive payment, Elders must be ready to submit personal information, including SIN numbers, birth dates and addresses to process payment. No cash or same day payments will be emitted.
- Students are only eligible to receive this funding once during their degree.
For any questions related to the Indigenous Directions Elder Fund, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.