The School of Graduate Studies (SGS) has general information on Internal and External Funding opportunities, and a searchable Awards Directory of fellowships for which Concordia students may apply. These fellowships include Federal and Provincial awards, awards funded by Concordia University, and special awards for students with particular backgrounds or studying particular research areas. Please consult this database and agency websites for the most up-to-date information including eligibility information, application procedures and deadlines.
Fall Information Sessions
Please attend information sessions relevant to your application to NSERC, CIHR, and SSHRC. Dates are usually announced late in August.
Federal and Provincial Agency Websites
Deadlines are usually in October or November
- NSERC – Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (www.nserc.ca)
- CIHR – Canadian Institutes of Health Research (www.cihr.ca)
- SSHRC – Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (www.sshrc.ca)
- FRQSC – Fonds de recherche du Québec - Société et culture (www.fqrsc.gouv.qc.ca)
- FRQNT – Fonds de recherche du Québec - Nature et technologies (www.fqrnt.gouv.qc.ca)
- FRQS – Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé (www.frsq.gouv.qc.ca)
Awards for students from underrepresented groups
- Concordia Indigenous Graduate awards ($500-$10,000)
- Information from federal government about assistance for Indigenous students
- Concordia Scholarships for students from Black communities ($2,500)
- Canadian Federation of University Women Fellowships ($5,000 - $25,000 awards for aboriginal and non-aboriginal women; December deadline)
Concordia Special Entrance Awards
Special Entrance Awards / Awards of excellence may be offered to students starting their degree program at Concordia who at the same time will begin receiving full external fellowships from a designated provincial (Québec) or federal granting agency. Awards are for one year, and are valued at $6,000 at the Masters level, and $10,000 at the doctoral level.
Internal Entrance and In-Course Awards
The Internal Entrance and In-Course Awards are available to both new and returning MA and PhD students. The application deadline is in February. New students from outside Concordia must be nominated by their prospective supervisor to be considered for these awards, and graduate students currently at Concordia must apply to be considered (new letters of reference should be solicited unless they were provided in the last year).
Additional Concordia Awards
- Quebec Merit Fellowships for Foreign Students
The application deadline for these Doctoral and Postdoctoral fellowships is usually in July.