How to apply
There are two stages to applying for the Major in Journalism.
Stage 1: University Application
Please note that there are three types of applicants.
Complete an online application to Concordia University by the dates listed below, along with all required documents requested. Remember that you must also follow Stage 2 requirements below.
- February 1 – Outside Canada (International)
- March 1 – Inside Canada
*Non-Concordia students include:
- a Cegep student in Quebec with a DEC or who will obtain a DEC
- a high school student (including these categories)
- an Ontario student with an OUAC number
- an Ontario student without an OUAC number
- attending high school in a Canadian province or territory other than Quebec or Ontario
- attending high school in the United States
- attending high school outside of Canada and the US
- a current or former student from another university or college
- a former Concordia student
- independent studies at Concordia
- applying as a mature student
Once you click the “submit” button, you will receive a confirmation email with an attached PDF copy of your application within 24 hours. This email will include an eight-digit student ID number that you will use throughout your studies should you be accepted at Concordia.
If you didn’t get the confirmation email (and you can’t find it in your junk mail folder either), call us at 514-848-2424, extension 2668 or email email@example.com. We will send you your student ID number.
Complete a degree transfer form in the online application by March 1 and follow Stage 2 requirements.
Note: If you are applying for Journalism Co-operative Education, you need to indicate this on your university application by checking the appropriate box.
Stage 2: Journalism Major Application
You must submit a Journalism Dossier by March 1 (February 1 for International applicants) that includes the following:
The letter should be approximately two pages double spaced and include the following:
- Introduce yourself to the admissions committee. Tell us about yourself and why you want to study journalism.
- Tell us about a work of journalism you feel is important and inspiring. The journalism you write about can be from a newspaper, an online publication, audio (including podcasts), video (including documentaries), photographic or multi-media. It can be a piece of journalism that has had national or international attention. It can also be journalism that has made a difference to a smaller community.
International applicants from everywhere other than the United States must submit an English language proficiency test (such as TOEFL or IELTS) as part of their dossier by March 15, 2022. English language tests from international applicants can be uploaded separately if they are being submitted after March 1.
Applicants from Canada and the United States must meet Concordia's minimum English language proficiency requirement.
If you have previous examples of journalism you may submit a portfolio. You do not have to submit a portfolio.
Your dossier must be uploaded in pdf format with your letter of intent labeled Journalism Dossier. There are two ways to upload your documents.
- Upload your dossier with your university application.
- If you’ve already completed your university application or are applying as a current Concordia student, upload your dossier to your Student Centre.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to check the Journalism Department’s website for updated information.
For technical difficulties with your online application, contact the IT Service Desk.
- To see what documents we require for your application, go to your Student Centre and check the “To Do List" on the right hand side. You can also access your Student Centre by logging in to the Student Hub and going to My CU account. Once you submit a required document, Concordia will review your file again and remove that item from your “To Do List”. Please note that it may take up to 10 working days to update your file.
- To see a list of what documents we’ve already received, under the To-Do list, click on the link “List of Documents Received.” The list of documents will be displayed as soon as they are uploaded.